[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What advice would you give to a first-time con-goer? >Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 19

File: amygun.jpg (17KB, 316x239px) Image search: [Google]
amygun.jpg
17KB, 316x239px
What advice would you give to a first-time con-goer?

>Don't buy con food
>Don't bring a Free Hugs sign
>Avoid getting humped at the rave
>>
shower
shower
deodorant
shower
don't clog walkways
shower
if a cosplayer is eating or adjusting their outfit, don't bother them for a pic
shower
don't touch people without asking
shower
if you are uncomfortable, say something, nobody's going to rescue you
if someone goes quiet and still and avoids looking at you when you interact with them, leave them alone
shower
>>
>>8697763
This
>>
don't touch women that you don't know
>>
>>8697756
Have fun but respect others and don't be an asshole. If you can't do it in real life and/or it's illegal then don't do it at a con. Anime cons are not Vegas.
>>
>>8697756
>Again, shower every day and use deodorant.
>Try to eat healthily at least twice a day, no con food and don't eat nothing but ramen. Fruit is good and you can often get it free at your hotel's breakfast. Bring bottled water and remember to drink it.
>Don't waste a ton of money in the dealer's room, you can get pretty much anything in there cheaper online. Also, wait until Sunday if you can, a lot of places will have sales / being more willing to haggle with you. Also, don't line up for the dealer's room before it opens, that's a waste of time. Just go to an early panel or something and come back later.
>Don't touch anyone or anything without permission. You never know when a prop is going to be fragile as shit, etc.
>Keep some emergency money just in case something goes wrong.
>If you drink, drink responsibly. Drink in your hotel room and then head back to the con. It's fun to be drunk at cons, but don't get wasted if you can't behave yourself.
>If you are in charge of the hotel room, get the money upfront, even if you are good friends. Nothing sucks more than when someone tells you they spend all their money at the con and can't pay you.
>>
>>8697785
>don't touch women that you don't know
>>8697763
>don't touch people without asking

So what am I supposed to do when taking a photo with a cosplayer, hoverhand them?
>>
Seal your damn body-paint. Holy shit.
>>
>>8697798
You ask them, receive their permission, and then touch them. Not too hard.
>>
>>8697798
Ask them first if it's okay to touch them. Also specify what exactly you want to do (lay a hand on their shoulder, hug them, whatever), don't ask for permission and surprise them with something they might not be comfortable with.
>>
>>8697798
No, do a pose in character, if your not cosplaying then just take a selfie or something
>>
>>8697798
You don't have to touch them to take a photo with them. If you want to, ask, and stay to a safe area like shoulders/arms etc. If you wouldn't go up to a stranger in the street and do it, don't do it at a con. Remember costumes/wigs/make-up often can be ruined easily and that's more likely the reason for saying no to a photo/hug/whatever than anything else.
>>
>>8697756
Follow the 6/2/1 rule!

AT LEAST 6 hours of sleep a night.
AT LEAST 2 real meals a day.
AT LEAST 1 shower each day.
>>
>>8697806
>>8697808
>>8697810
>ask them

lmfao
women

I suppose you want me to ask you before I go in for the kiss, or ram you six inches deep too?
>>
>>8697811

I always do either shoulder or more often arm around waist. Haven't gotten any complaints yet, then again I'm not a bad looking guy.
>>
>>8697798
Seconding this. Do you really have to ask before you put your arm around someone's shoulder for a photo? It's not like you're touching them by surprise, or on an erogenous zone.
>>
>>8697805
This. If you are a poorfag that can't afford proper sealant, then you shouldn't be doing body paint, but if you do it anyway, cheap hairspray works for sealing. There is no excuse for unsealed body paint.
>>
>>8697820
I wouldn't say you HAVE to ask if you asked for a photo with them already, but why wouldn't you?
Takes two seconds and ensures everyone is comfortable.
>>
>>8697827

So what do you ask then? "Can I touch you?" That's just creepy and awkward as fuck. "Can I put my arm around you?" That almost works but sounds weird and specific, and ruins the enjoyment of getting your photo taken. Also, what if they say "no"? Well fuck you, I'm not taking a photo with you if you're going to humiliate me like that you autistic prissy bitch.
>>
>>8697827
I dunno, asking people "can I touch you" for normal social interactions like putting your arm around someone for a photo usually makes you seem like an aspie or worse.

And that's the last impression I want to be giving off.
>>
Just be courteous of those around you. Watch where you're walking and don't stand around where people walk.
Basically, don't be a dick.
>>
>>8697813
this!
>>
>>8697829
>Also, what if they say "no"? Well fuck you, I'm not taking a photo with you if you're going to humiliate me like that you autistic prissy bitch.
what the fuck am i reading
>>
File: 1421054131112.jpg (11KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
1421054131112.jpg
11KB, 500x300px
>>8697814
pretty much. or you could go shove an entire cactus up your ass, your choice
>>
>>8697829
>>8697830
Well, you normally don't take pictures with strangers. So, yeah normally, it would be a weird question, but not in this case.
>>
File: 1417731178282.png (26KB, 679x427px) Image search: [Google]
1417731178282.png
26KB, 679x427px
>>8697814
>six inches
>>
>>8697827
I don't know, man. I really hate it when someone's like hey let's take a picture and I say ok, then they put their arm around me and they're all fucking greasy and sweaty and shit. Like fuck, thanks for stinking up my cosplay

If you're gonna do that shit wear deodorant and brush your teeth, seriously.
>>
>>8697842
>If you're gonna do that shit wear deodorant and brush your teeth, seriously.

Even if you're not, brush your teeth and wear deodorant during con anyway!
>>
>>8697813
adding to this, if you are at a hotel, make sure you bring earplugs so you can get the minimim needed sleep.

if you aren't able to sleep 6 hours in a row, follow the 90-minute rule. the average sleep cycle completes in about 90 minutes, after which you will be in a lighter sleep. you will feel more refreshed getting up from a lighter sleep stage than a deeper one, so when setting your alarm for sleep--or a mid-day nap--count in increments of 90 minutes to avoid grogginess.

>1.5 hours
>3 hours
>4.5 hours
>6 hours

etc.
>>
>>8697847
I swear to god there should be a smell check at the door. If the staff can smell you, you have to go back to your hotel and shower.
>>
>>8697842
topkek, I've had this happen to me many a time

>>8697820
If there's a chance you could break, dirty up or stink up their costume, then yes. 99% of the time it'll be fine. You can probably get away without asking for most people, but if someone looks a bit nervous or shy or uncomfortable, just take the two seconds.
>>
>>8697829
>Not putting your arm around someone is humiliating
Wow. Asking "can I put my arm around you" is perfectly fine.

>>8697817
Girls won't usually complain to your face unless they're like an sjw or something, but if they were uncomfortable they'll probably turn to their friend after you leave and complain. It's annoying when people you don't know touch you, especially if you're wearing a costume that can get messed up.
>>
>>8697814
>six inches
You know no-one's ever going to say yes, don't know? You clearly know that already. Poor baby. This is an 18+ site.
>>
>>8697763
Don't crowd around a booth for too long, especially if you're not thinking of buying something.
I hate it when I go to the dealer's room and there's a bunch of cringey weebs screaming about figures they aren't even planning on buying. It's even worse when it's tall guys doing it because I'm short and I can't see the goods. I swear I see guys just hovering around booths for 15-20 minutes at a time and then end up not fucking buying anything. Same goes for AA.
>>
>>8697855
>Not putting your arm around someone is humiliating

It's a rejection, and that's humiliating.
>>
>>8697836
This. It's a weird situation. Weird rules go with it.

But honestly you're way more likely to get laid if you ask a hot chick for permission to touch her because she will immediately respect you more and assume you respect her a little bit more, and that shit's hot to a lot of women. It shows manners and kindess. That's sexy to lots of girls.
>>
>>8697798
>>8697814
>>8697829
Holy shit what's going on in here? You people have no idea how to navigate social situations.

Like, just have common sense and read the situation.
When you approach the cosplayer for a pic, watch their body language. If they back away a couple inches they probably don't like to be touched. Don't take it personally, costumes are hot and people are sweaty (sometimes even stinky), taking pictures this close to someone can get unbearable after a while.

If the cosplayer has an elaborate outfit on, don't even think about putting your arm around them. Same if they have a long ass wig that's prone to tangling.

When in doubt, stay close and mimic their pose.
>>
>>8697863
Yeah, if you're 12 and autistic.
>>
>>8697863
No-one is ever going to know but you and the cosplayer, they'll be too busy/will not care enough to tell anyone, and 9 times out of 10 unless you smell like a hobo or are visibly drooling/have a boner hanging out, it'll just be because they're shy or they're worried about their costume. Or potentially weird and fucked up about their personal space, which is their problem and likely nothing to do with you. It is not personal and you need to not take it as such.
>>
>>8697863
You should go outside more often.
>>
>>8697863
i want to believe you are a man-hating SJW sneaking in to perpetuate the idea that men are so scared of being humiliated by women that they force themselves on them to avoid rejection.

but i think you might just be that insecure and self-involved.
>>
>>8697876
>When in doubt, stay close and mimic their pose.
this!

if you can't read their body language, ask to do a cool pose. i cover up my awkwardness by asking cosplayers if they JoJo. they usually do, and they are more than happy to strike some silly poses together.
>>
>>8697885
Come on you know for a fact that those kinds of guys totally post on 4chan.
>>
>>8697885
Men ARE really scared of humiliation. Especially the sorts of men who are at con. Practically every last one of us has been publically mocked, laughed at, or humiliated by girls.

Which is why we don't force ourselves on them, and have to learn not to do hoverhand or other pathetic behavior.

Asking is much much better than hoverhanding.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nl9vhgvxdY1rlkf3f.png (42KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nl9vhgvxdY1rlkf3f.png
42KB, 500x501px
>>8697814
>>
>>8697943
fear of humiliation is common across genders, it's the "i can't ask because she might say no, so i'll just take what i want from her to spare my ego" sentiment that seems like a parody of what SJWs describe.

for reference, i am a guy who does not get out much and i don't even ask to be in pics with cosplayers. i just can't imagine someone unironically stating they would rather wrap their arm around someone rather than ask and be humiliated with a "no." that's rapist-level logic.
>>
If you're sharing a hotel room, especially with strangers, remember it's not your room.

Keep your mess confined to one remote area of the room, and clean up any mess you make in the bathroom.

Be especially careful dying your hair.

Also, read some /cgl/ con roommate horror stories and do the opposite.
>>
>>8697981
Also, people have already said it but in this context, someone who says no is not rejecting you as a person. They most likely said no because they don't want anyone touching their outfit they worked hard on and/or spent a lot of money on.
>>
>>8697984
This. For fuck's sake, if you are going to be sloppy, at least keep your shit in one pile instead of all over the room.
>>
>>8697981
Exactly, I know a lot of girls who grew up being asked out by guys for a prank, yelled at in the street, mocked online etc. It works both ways.
>>
File: even superman needs a drink.gif (2MB, 302x347px) Image search: [Google]
even superman needs a drink.gif
2MB, 302x347px
If you go to con parties, remember the rule:

1 cup of water for every beer/glass of wine/mixed drink/shot of liquor.

And never drink on an empty stomach.

Drink with a buddy. That way you can keep an eye in case one of you gets too drunk.
>>
File: 1445358982209.gif (3MB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
1445358982209.gif
3MB, 300x252px
>>8697943
>>
>>8698117
i doubt it
>>
>>8698105

If you do get drunk and start feeling sick, go back to your room. Nothing is worse than when guests start puking in your hotel room.
>>
File: mtgi-daniel_tosh1.jpg (460KB, 2500x1663px) Image search: [Google]
mtgi-daniel_tosh1.jpg
460KB, 2500x1663px
Bring a bottle a Febreze and just spray anyone who has a slight hint of body odor.
>>
>please fucking shower
>deoderant/antipersperant
>comfortable shoes whenever possible
>if possible, 1st thing go find a grocery center and shop for snacks/water you can keep in the room
>a butt on the floor means photos no more
>emergency meds/tampons
>>
>>8698185
>a butt on the floor means photos no more
the fuck does that mean? this stupid rhyme is really unclear.
>>
>>8698202
It means if a cosplayer is sitting down leave them the fuck alone.
>>
File: 1446016138392.png (504KB, 410x589px) Image search: [Google]
1446016138392.png
504KB, 410x589px
>>8698202
it means if they're sitting down, don't ask for a photo, you fucking idiot. they're obviously taking a break.
>>
>>8698202
It means candids only if people are resting.
>>
>>8698213
who the fuck sits on the floor though? it wasn't a good rhyme and it also doesn't apply to everyone. if people are eating yea i get it but if someone is sitting down to wait for photos obviously not doing anything then asking is perfectly acceptable. taking no for an answer is what's important.
>>
File: dat-floor.jpg (492KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dat-floor.jpg
492KB, 1920x1080px
>>8698219
Dude, no-one sits down to wait for photos. Even the neediest people stand up and pose somewhere and let people approach them.

And sitting on the floor is common at most conventions because god forbid a convention actually provide even half enough chairs for attendees.
>>
>>8698202
Not that anon but it means the cosplayer is resting and you should respect that. Sitting down to take a rest and/or having something to eat. Some cosplayers don't mind getting up for a photo but it's respectful to leave them alone and just ask some other time.
>>
>>8698229
Not that anon but I actually do. I have an issue with my leg so it's hard to stand, but I sort of get the point. I get both points. I personally think that unless they're eating then asking for a photo isn't disrespectful.
>>
>>8697756
some cons prohibit entrance with bags/purses of any kind to some areas like the dealer room, or in some cases, even the game room. They do this in order to lower the risk of theft (its a dumb argument but whatever).

Ask somebody that's gone to the same con before if this is the case, or otherwise inform yourself.

Prepare yourself appropriately. When there are no-bag areas, there is usually a place to store them for free but there might be a really really long line. It might be better to avoid having a bag entirely, or bring a disposable plastic bag you can throw away before entering.

Since everybody will think you're a loser anyway, there's no reason not to wear cargo shorts so you can use all your pockets for your belongings. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Inform yourself
>>
If your in charge of a room, ALWAYS get money up front, preferably before you even leave town for the con. Idc if they're your literal twin at birth, it saves everybody from drama.

If your paying somebody else for a room, pay ASAP so something doesn't come up and make it terrible for everybody else.

Bring food/water from home or get to a grocery store. Con food is overpriced and will make you feel like shit.

If you aren't staying within walking distance on con center, get an Uber account. Don't depend on room buddies for rides back and forth, especially if it's during the day, and uber is cheaper than any taxi you'll find.

Have amazon or Google shopping pulled up on your phone. Yes it's worth buying from Artists Alley because that's handmade and shit, but dealers room can be a rip off so always double check prices. It helps with impulse buys if you know you can get it 20$ cheaper off of ebay.

Plus, to avoid the awkwardness of saying, "Can I touch you?"(admit it gulls, the phrase is just fucking awkward off the tongue), ask "Can I get a picture with my arm around you?" "Can I get a picture in a prom pose for my instagram?" "Can I get a picture of me hugging you?" If you say what kind of picture you want instead of "Can I touch you," it let's them know your full intentions and gives the cosplayer a chance to adjust accordingly, or suggest one their more comfortable with.

> somebody asks me if they can touch me
> assumes the worst groping possible because I'm like that

Do bring a external battery! And an extra charger because somebody is going to lose or forget one.
>>
>>8698235
Or you know, just politely ask.
"Would you mind if I took your picture?" And if they say "not right now, I'm sorry" just say "Okay thank you, I like your costume." and go along your way.

I mean shit, sometimes I'm just sitting around but if someone wants a photo I'll stand up and pose without having any issues.

Cosplayers can be walking, standing or sitting and want to be left the fuck alone, going somewhere, in a bad mood, upset, hungry, having a headache, running to their judging appointment, really have to pee right this second, you don't know. There is nothing wrong with asking, so long as the person isn't eating. It's only wrong when you throw a shitfit if someone refuses.
>>
If you're going to have sex in the room text your roommate or at least lock the deadbolt so they don't walk in an catch their younger brother having sex.

Also yes please fucking SHOWER. Nothing worse then hitting a cloud of BO
>>
CHECK FOR BEDBUGS

this is no joke. we had to switch rooms once. our stuff had to be disinfected (heat-treated, dry cleaned, etc.) or tossed.

bedbugs are making big comebacks in hotels and i wish i had paid more attention or taken better precautions. there's plenty of info available about how to check for signs of bedbugs and how to minimize chances of bringing any home, so please get educated and be careful.
>>
>>8698335
Remove all of the sheets. Check for blood spots on the mattress. Check the seams at the edge of the mattress and check the box springs. My brother is an exterminator he even removes the headboard to check behind it. Remember bedbugs are tiny little things.

When I walk into any hotel room I check the beds first thing.
>>
Don't hotel in the ghetto
>>
>>8697756
3 years before the con start getting your life in check
>start showering daily
> always brush your teeth after meals. Floss also
> eat at least two square meals a day . cut down on those empty calories
> sign up to your local gym or at least start going to the park to run 5k
> start working towards those promotions at work and aim for regional manager at the least . Thats something easily attainable in 3 years
> still thinking of that car you always wanted? well if you cant afford it then maybe get one model over or even a used car. nobody is gonna know that you havent owned the car this whole time.
> You know that person you like. ask them out. there is nothing to lose that you cant easily get back
> keep that hygiene in check and always say please and thank you
> Once you're finally going out with that person you like, see if they want to go in with you on a house or small apartment.Its a big step but vital in growing
> maybe mention having kids. Planing for parenthood is always a wise choice
> You started putting into that 401k yet ? good, planning for the future is also a good step in the right direction
> By now you're asking yourself if this is all worth it . GET THOSE THOUGHTS OUT OF YOUR HEAD. you're a winner
> by now that con should be just around the corner. Got that cosplay costume made yet ? No ? well no problem. you can easily buy a premade costume and wear that to the con as long as you're willing to let other know when asked that someone else was involved in the making of said outfit
> Did you talk to your spouse about going to the con and whether or not they want to come or will you two be getting a babysitter for your two little ones
> its con time friend. dont eat con food, no free hug signs, and avoid rave rape
>>
Cons attract all kinds of weirdos. It's better to be suspicious of everyone than it is to be too trusting. The younger you are, the more this applies to you
>>
>>8699081
>> You know that person you like. ask them out. there is nothing to lose that you cant easily get back

Dignity? Self-esteem? Social standing?

There's nothing like every single girl in school laughing at you for months for daring to ask someone on date.
>>
> Don't forget to drink and eat regularly during the day, even if you're not feeling hungry or thirsty due to the excitement
> Take some aspirins with you. Sudden headaches or sickness can happen so it's a good way to help yourself if you can't immediately get to first aid
> Ladies: always bring tampons or pads, mother nature is a bitch
> Be wary of bootlegs: if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is
> Decide beforehand which panels and activities you want to join so you don't miss out on anything
> Bring enough money with you. Cash dispensers near the con are going to have huge lines

For cosplayers:
> Bring easy footwear if your cosplay has uncomfortable shoes
> Bring along your contact lens case when wearing contacts so you can take them out if needed
> Bring an emergency repair kit or know where to find the nearest repair stand
>>
>>8699122
>Cash dispensers near the con are going to have huge lines

And usually run out of cash by the end of the first day.

>emergency everything

This. What ever you don't pack usually turns out to be the one thing you need.
>>
>>8699099
>There's nothing like every single girl in school laughing at you for months for daring to ask someone on date.

sounds like you're suddenly the life of the school. The ladies love a guy that can make them laugh
>>
>>8697796
Sunday rule on merchandise is weak at the big cons now. They know you are waiting for it so they are less willing to discount.
>>
bring one of those sports back packs and stuff some water bottles and protein bars in it. find out the closest food place in walking distance and double check. I accidentally walked an extra two blocks since i was new to miami and missed the closest mcDonalds.
>>
>>8697763

You're forgetting one important thing; if you're going to use the public bathrooms, always put toilet paper on the seat, who knows who was sitting on that seat before you
>>
>>8699208
toilet seat STDs !
>>
>have taken tons of photos with cosplayers and half the time i put my hand on their shoulder
This thread makes me feel like a serial rapist.
>>
>>8699228
youve probably been the focus of a creepy/nightmare con thread or two
>>
File: image.png (108KB, 732x467px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
108KB, 732x467px
>>8699221
>>
>>8699245
I've never bothered a cosplayer beyond a photo except for maybe a very short conversation about their character here and there. I also have never left my hotel without taking a shower first, so there's that... but you still, I'm scared you might be right.
>>
>>8699099
>There's nothing like every single girl in school laughing at you for months for daring to ask someone on date.
Dude, you need to stop thinking everything is about you. Really seriously. If every girl was laughing at you, it wasn't because you asked someone out. It's either something to do with you that they laugh at anyway, or that you made the mistake of asking a girl who was way out of your league, which people normally realise not to do around age 12.
>>
>>8699314
do not try to convince him. better anons than you have tried and failed. all it leads to is thread derailing. just walk away.
>>
Bring lots of magnum condoms incase of a post con breeding frenzy
>>
File: A1105011_ND01.jpg (63KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
A1105011_ND01.jpg
63KB, 600x600px
This portable USB charger is 10 bucks on Amazon and can give your phone full life at least 2 times over before needing to recharge.

Now you never need to find an outlet somewhere on the con floor.
>>
>>8699353
i own some these, they're great. for very long days, i bring 3 and always always bring your charger with you. you never know when you're gonna need it.
>>
>>8699081
>3 years
That's a stretch. I say prepare months in advance. Things can happen in 3 years before cons.
>>
>>8699122
Adding on
>Bring stomach and cold medication
>Don't for yourself to drink or eat if you are feeling sick or full. Make sure to have a regular eating and drinking schedule that you do at home.
>>
>>8699356
ditto, except i bring one that is bigger and can charge my phone 3 times, Avoiding getting lost without a phone to contact anyone! Yay.

Would also suggest battery charger in general though, there are so many people around your phone will be working extra hard and data will be sparse potentially.
>>
>>8699245
>creepy/nightmare con thread

>creepy
>for putting a hand on somebody's shoulder

Jesus Christ did you people grow up in marshmallow land?
>>
>>8699314
>>8699319
>blaming the victim of bullying

Disgusting
>>
>>8699405
Putting your hands on someone's shoulder without asking for permission is literally rape. I suggest that you stop doing so.
>>
>>8697987
>>8697984
This. I bring a collapsible laundry hamper to try to keep all my junk in one place
>>
Here's a few things I do at cons
>ask your room mates before borrowing something
>give your room mates your phone number
>have a friend take a photo of you before you leave, the odds of finding photos of you are slim to none (you'll also look tired at the end of the day)
> above is also good in case if you don't show up somewhere, you have an outfit shot of them
>carry a slip of paper in your badge with any medical conditions you have
>if you still live with parents, shoot them a message saying you're having a fun time. They get worried
>carry fucking ID, in the event of an emergency, it's a good thing to have
> It's gonna take you longer to get dressed than you think, be prepared
>>
>>8699441
all excellent advice
>>
>>8699405
you like it when some old due starts rubbing your shoulders real nice and slow like ?
> hey friend, just relax. im just givin ya a rub. nothing threatenin bout that huh ? Now lets get this hot shirt off. you look hot
>>
>>8699648

No, that's why I wouldn't say "Sure matey, let's stand together real close so somebody can snap a pic :)" Here's a trick: if you don't feel comfortable in close proximity to somebody, don't agree to a photo. That way they won't shoulder-rape you.
>>
>>8699658
Sometimes people ask for a photo and you pose, expecting them to take a photo from where they are, and suddenly they throw the camera to a friend and proceed to get right up in your personal space. Can't be psychic about it.
>>
>>8699660

"Woah dude, sorry but please don't put your arm around me"
Problem solved. Or just say "no" to anybody wanting a photo who isn't your type. Damn you're making it sound like you have absolutely no control over what happens to you. Stop being a ridiculous ninny.
>>
>>8699658
no, if you disagree or turn someone down, you are humiliating them and you deserve to be treated like shit.

ALWAYS ASK for permission, and ALWAYS GRANT permission when you are asked. this way no one's feelings are hurt.
>>
>>8697763
kek.
>>
>>8699666
And then cue posts here about how women are such huge bitches for denying photos and not letting people have basic friendly contact with them!
>>
>>8699648
>complaining about getting free massages

I wish I had that problem.
>>
>>8699668

When a girl agrees to be in a photo with me, of course I'll put my arm around her. What's the fucking matter, shoulders are a safe zone unless you guys have really fucking wonky tits.
"Oh, Miss, please grant me permission to touch the holy wonderland that is your shoulder. I ensure that my hands will not soil this paradise!" Pull your fucking head out of your ass, you're not some kind of goddess. I could understand this shit when they're touching your ass or breasts or something but the fucking shoulder? The fucking shoulder?! This shit is getting out of hand. Can't wait for posts where you lot are calling guys "creeps" for standing in your close vicinity, ie inside a 5 meter bubble around you.
>>
More like a pre-con thing but...

If you're looking for roomies, stick to communities you know first. From there, if you branch out into like the con forums or other places where you literally have no idea who you might end up rooming with, be hyper-vigilant.

-Do not room with people who need any of your financial information. If they need to add you to their room, usually they'll need like your name and some contact, but never your credit card number.

-Don't room with people who don't know what they're doing. If they can't give you a straight answer to something like, "how many people will be in the room" or "what are you planning to do on Saturday," avoid them.

-Don't room with people who might have very different sleeping habits as you. If you need to sleep at like 10PM, but they're planning on hosting a party, avoid them, find someone else.

In general, if you're hopping into someone else's room, go with people who already have their shit figured out. You can't prevent every terrible thing from happening, but you can at least avoid getting screwed over by some 15 year old who doesn't know how to book a hotel
>>
>>8699691
Calm down spergy. Asking before you touch a complete stranger before a photo with them is basic decency, were you raised in a barn?
>>
>>8699691
No-one in this thread has saying touching shoulders is creepy, perverted, or makes someone a rapist. Seriously, at least. It's just good manners to ask, in a strange situation with a randomer you just met at a con. That's it. It's good manners. And 9 times out of 10, they're just worried about their costume. Stop taking shit so personally. If you were at a football game and suddenly wrapped your arm around the strange dude sitting next to you, that'd be weird. Same rules apply.

>getting this angry about not being able to touch strangers
>>
>>8699700
Kinda along that line, the whole room almost got screwed once because we was rooming with a random 19-year-old that booked the room and this hotel required a 21-year-old to check in (I don't know if it's a state thing or just that hotel's policy). But I was the only over-21-year-old there and if I hadn't been there, like 5 people would have been shit out of luck because the employees were not budging.
>>
>>8699715
*we were rooming
fuck me
>>
>>8699327
> all that crazy nerd sex
>>
>>8699715
>(I don't know if it's a state thing or just that hotel's policy)
its a pretty general policy to hold room wreckers accountable and keep kids from snagging rooms for " sexy parties " its never so much about the sex but the consumption of alcohol with minors that usually precedes it
>>
Last two cons I've had a room to myself, or myself and my bf. Honestly made everything so much easier. Especially because of having friends in the same hotel, all the fun, none of the shit. Max I've ever roomed with is 4 all together, and that was too many for me. God bless those with 6+.
>>
>>8699700
>-Don't room with people who might have very different sleeping habits as you. If you need to sleep at like 10PM, but they're planning on hosting a party, avoid them, find someone else.

To add to that, you might want to screen potential roommates for snoring, smoking, and temperature preferences. (Some people can't sleep when the room is too cold, some people can't sleep when the room is too hot. Put one of each in a room together and everyone will be miserable.)
>>
>>8699729
>God bless those with 6+.
I know that feel . Woke up duct tapped to the chair i fell asleep in cause the free space by the floor was by the ac that shot down to the floor with like a temp of 60. I sadly woke up just after they left for breakfast so i was there a good 24 minutes before i chewed through the tape which was no easy task with my torso also tapped up
>>
>>8699729
Yea cause you can get fucked by your bf and get chill.
>>
>>8697756
SHOWER
H E
O W
W O
E H
REWOHS
>>
Take care of yourself, boost your immune system if you can. Be extra careful about germs - wash hands frequently. Try to not touch stuff if you can help it (railings, door handles, etc). Use hand sanitizer. Con crud is a thing.

Don't rely on internet or even your phone 100%. Have a backup plan. Hotel internet can be crappy. Convention center internet can be crappier. Wifi is spotty.

Research where you are staying before you go. Make note of what's nearby - restaurants, grocery/drug stores, public transit.

Don't push yourself too hard; it's easy to get caught up in the con, but make sure you take breaks to eat, hydrate, and rest if you need to.

Write a list of everything you need to pack and check it off as you go; you can look up premade lists to get an idea of what other people pack. Write a list for each costume you plan on doing down to every last detail - you'd hate to forget an accessory, makeup, wig cap, etc.

Some stuff that I like to pack:
- Power strip - I've stayed in hotels where there is only one available plug - with 4 people staying and having to charge things (or using electronics), this helps.
- Medicine - prescriptions, aspirin, pepto/tums/immodium.
- Pillow & blanket/ sleeping bag (if you aren't flying in). Some hotels have notoriously awful pillows.
- Bottled water. If it's a summer convention, buy more than what you think you'll need. If you're flying in have a local friend buy some, or bring a refillable water bottle. If you aren't into water you can buy those little flavor packets to give it flavor.
- Individual snacks - granola bars, trail mix, crackers.
- BYOB. Events will charge a TON of money for alcohol. Better to drink a bit in your room and then head out.
- Pen and notebook (or an electronic equivalent)
- Lanyard/safety pins to secure your badge
- Mini sewing kit
- Paper cups, plates, plastic utensils.
>>
>>8699700
>>8699756
Easy solution to this is to just bring plugs or nasal strips. Some people just don't know if they snore or not.

For the room temperature thank god that the con I go to you can't change it in the hotel rooms. I roomed up with someone in the winter time and they put the AC on because they were smoking weed in the room.
>>
no free hugs for men or women?
>>
>>8700610
fucking both. just dont.
>>
>>8700622
why?
>>
>>8700623
Autists hate touch.
>>
>>8700495
>they put the AC on because they were smoking weed in the room.

That's stupid. How would running the AC even help? Even if the vents are open, will it really do much?

Protip: If you must smoke weed in your room, do it in the bathroom with the shower running hot and lots of steam. There's little in a bathroom for the smell to stick to.

Just make sure the steam vents and dissipates before leaving the bathroom door open, or the smell will escape with the steam and stink up everything.

But better you just smoke it outside, with friends.
>>
>>8698105

This. If you're going to drink at all, make sure to stock up on water (bread too).

>tfw last year I had just turned 21 at a con, got shit faced without eating and wound up throwing up absolutely everywhere.

Don't be like me, kids.
>>
>>8698105
The second part is especially important for girls. Even if room parties are full of nice people, it doesn't mean that the way back to your room will be safe.
As for drinking, taking some Aspirin before going to bed and putting Gatorade on your nightstand is like cheating.
>>
>>8699447
Thank you
>>
>>8697829
"Is it cool if I put my arm around your shoulder?"

That's literally all you have to ask, dumbass. 99% of the time girls will say yes anyways.
>>
>>8700894
Normal people hate being randomly touched.
>>
More stuff to consider packing:
- If you're going to the con to see a guest, don't forget to bring something to get signed
- Carry your phone charger at all times. If you can, you might want to consider one of those portable power packs that you can use to charge your phone.
- Deck of cards, small games, handheld games - to play with friends in the room or while waiting in line
- Business cards
- Earplugs/eye mask
- Cash and small bills. Don't rely on ATMs in the convention area. Always carry your cash with you; don't leave it in the hotel room.
>>
>>8701075
It's important for guys too. You don't want to be the guy who's passed out on the couch by the elevator. And you don't want to wake up in a strange bed with some underage stalker who's decided you're her husbando and wont' leave you alone for the next 4 years.
>>
>>8701259
Normal people don't mind someone putting their arm around them for a photo, though.
Like that's something normies just do.
It's only in an autistic community like ours where we actually have to worry about that shit.
>>
>>8697763
Fucken this!!! To both patrons and cosplayers. I have to shuffle through a horde of other con goers and all I smell is body odor. Although cosplayers get some leeway due to some having some very intricate outfits but for the sake of everybody else who gives a shit about their hygiene please use deodorant.
>>
>>8699691
And you can't even bother to ask cosplayers whether it's ok for you to have your arm around them. Geeze you sound like you're entitled. What I say about that is fuck your entitlement. The amount of people I see doing hoverhands or actually having their arm around a cosplayers waist or shoulder is laughable. And since I take photos as a hobby I see this shit at every damn con. I see the faces of cosplayers looking disturbed and uncomfortable and that worries me. Why do I care? Coz I simply do. It doesn't hurt to ask this way everybody fucken wins. Why go all the trouble to make the cosplayer feel uncomfortable. Fucken hell
>>
>>8697756
>Don't buy con food
I can't stress this shit enough.
After my third con(about 5 years ago) I just decided that I would start ordering pizza or Jimmy Johns and the like. Save money and get what you pay for.
Rest of the thread is spot on, also if someone passes out don't crowd around them like it's a fucking fight, just keep walking and let the Emts through ffs
>>
>>8701270
>don't leave it in the hotel room.
*Don't drop it either
I've found about $320 in the last 2 years alone on the ground just lying around and no matter how hard I try I can never seem to find the owner.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 350x266px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 350x266px
>>8699758
Jesus fucking Christ, anon, you have some shitter friends
>>
>>8697788
anime cons in vegas though
>>
File: horrified doomguy.gif (2MB, 635x457px) Image search: [Google]
horrified doomguy.gif
2MB, 635x457px
>>8699758
/cgl/ never ceases to amaze.
>>
>>8698275
> congoer comes up
> Can I take a picture?
> No, sorry, I'm trying to fix my wi-
> congoer snaps picture anyway and runs away
Why do people do this.
>>
>>8699729
I've never had a room at a con with more than 2 other people and have no intention of ever being a part of those rooms. I don't get it. I'd rather pay $120 for my share of the hotel costs than pay $45 but have no place to sleep, no dry towels, no room to change, no bathroom counter of my own, etc.
>>
>>8697798
I hoverhand anyway because touching people just feels weird.

I remember a cosplayer letting me wrap my arm around her hip once and I felt my head literally hurt.
>>
File: IMG_20151105_130527.jpg (137KB, 1080x605px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151105_130527.jpg
137KB, 1080x605px
So those who put their hands around cosplayers don't even think about their reaction but justify that since they don't mind getting snapped it's ok to do what the fuck they want to them. Again fuck what you're entitled to coz you don't deserve shit. Ask before you do and accept they will say no
>>
you have to make your own fun, and you have to lower your standards of what you would call fun.
>>
>>8701688
>dat filename
is that you in the pic bro
>>
>>8701705
I think it's the girl
>>
>>8701272
>And you don't want to wake up in a strange bed with some underage stalker who's decided you're her husbando and wont' leave you alone for the next 4 years.
Speaking from experience? That seems fun though.
>>
>>8701705
Nope. Not the girl. Used a pic as an example to state a point.
>>
>>8701722
> not recognizing JNig
>>
>>8701688
>I always lean in and place my hand on the lower back or waist

It's only bad if you're ugly because when I do it they're usually willing to stay and chat.
>>
>>8701756
Usually when I get pics with other people I'll gesture at them (like a hug, full arm handshake, or offer to pick them up) and if they gesture in return it's on. If they shake their heads or do nothing I just stand beside them, sometimes just press backs together and face apart and pose.
Are people legitimately so autistic they can't figure out how to get near another human being without awkwardly putting an arm around them while worrying how they'll react? There are so many options.
>>
>>8701769
Spot on. It's sad that numbskull have to be told basic etiquette. As a hobby photog who loves to take photos of cosplay I see this everytime at cons. Especially when patrons ask me to take a photo of a cosplayer where they will wrap their arms around the cosplayer without even asking. I'm annoyed for them and there have been instances where u refuse to take photos for patrons coz of this. For those who need to be told, use your fucken head
>>
>>8697763
Even more important than showering IMO

Brush your damn teeth
Use mouth wash
Use breath spray

The worst smells I've encountered at con has always been peoples rank rotting death breath.

Oh and change your damn shirt, there's no point showering if you're going to wear the same sweat encrusted tshirt/cosplay every day.
>>
>>8700623
Because pervs have used it as an an excuse to grope people, either the free hugger gropes the huggee or the huggee gropes the free hugger.
>>
>>8697798
Why are americans so weird with touching other people? Where ever i was so far, most people didn't have a problem with putting the hand on shoulder/hips. If they were uncomfortable they just put your hand away or say something, but it seems that every time americans talk about it they nearly sperg out.
>>
>>8702209
Coz people who try to get their hand over a cosplayers waist or shower without asking think they're entitled to. They should fuck off and try to ask before doing so. It's creepy. And no I'm not a cosplayer, just someone whose disgusted by the behaviour of people who wanna go touchy feely towards a cosplayer
>>
Stay hydrated.

This is the only piece of advice you need to hear.
>>
I've heard that maxi-pads under your armpits can help prevent sweat/deodorant stains on your thin costumes. Is this true?
>>
>>8698219
I sit on the floor all the time at cons, what the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever even been to a con or are you just talking out of your ass?
>>
>>8701525

>implying I even go to cons
>>
>>8702353
pantyliners, not maxi pads
>>
>>8701688

Oh no just look at this very staged image.
>>
>shower, shower, SHOWER
>use deodorant
>room host: demand room/gas money up front, don't let people weasel out of it
>room guest: pay up when you're asked. Don't spend money on a damn thing until your share is in your host's hands
>get a luggage lock. You can never be too careful
>make sure you have your prescriptions
>even if you're not expecting your period bring emergency pads/tampons
>don't eat con food. Just don't.
>eat at least two real meals a day. A box of pocky and a bottle of ramune is not a meal. Bring sandwich stuff and the like with you and keep it in the room fridge
>drink plenty of water and be sure to take breaks, especially if you're in a cosplay that's heavy or doesn't breathe well (latex/pvc, armor, etc.)
>if you're gonna drink, drink responsibly
>do what you can to boost your immune system. Con funk is a bitch.
>>
>>8697861
Oh my fucking god this.
>tfw manlet problems
>not being able to see the merch because tall assholes are in the way and hovering
>THEY DON'T BUY ANYTHING
>THEY STOOD THERE FOR 20 MINUTES
>>
>>8697756
Dont cum inside
Wash your hands after, you dont know where shes been.
>>
>>8698219
I always sit down on the floor at cons. I have issues with walking for too long where even if there are enough chairs at a con (which typically, there aren't anyway) if they're too far down I'll just sit on the ground in a more convenient spot to rest up.
I don't mind getting up for a few photos in that time but sitting on the floor is super common at a convention.
>>
>>8699441
>if you still live with parents, shoot them a message saying you're having a fun time. They get worried
This. Especially if you're at an out of town con. Text your mom a selfie tell her you're having fun, send her pics of your pg-rated merch (unless you want her to see your loli doujins) just something to let her know you're fine
>>
Sweet, the basics have already been covered.

Here are some more tips:
>If you wear perfume and it comes in a glass bottle, invest in either a perfume atomizer or a travel sized form so you don't walk in to your $150 perfume shattered on the bathroom floor because somebody decided to bring in some slut in a Pikachu costume and bang her on the counter.

>If you are rooming with people you don't know, get a little zipper lock thing.

>Invest in a small, carry-on sized suitcase for con weekends instead of being that person that brings everything in plastic bags, canvas totes, sewing machine boxes, or anything similar. You are a grown adult. Pack like one. No one wants to be walking around your hobo pile.

>Hit up a Daiso/Target/Walmart and get one of those cheap, 5x7 or larger zipper cases to keep your prints and/or commissions in. For things in the dealers' room, bring a canvas tote (plastic bags will inevitably rip for no good reason).

>If you are going to steal something in the dealers' room, have a 5-person formation, including a main thief, a distraction, two people to cover you, and an emergency backup.

>Assume your hotel room is a worthless piece of shit with zero amenities, because it probably will be. Bring a small iron, a hair dryer, extra towels (face, body, hair- make sure they're not white), and your own shower goods just in case Fat Kate decided to use all of the hotel's body wash to wash between her fat rolls, leaving none for anyone else in the room, except for you- because you were smart and stocked up at Bath and Body Works' Semi-Annual sale.
>>
If you're going to a con as a group and if one or all of you are cosplaying, I'd recommend a photo-buddy system. If you care for the dignity of yourself and your friends, always have someone check the photos that strangers take.

My group tends to have one or two people behind said photographers to make sure they aren't taking anything inappropriate. It's just downright disrespectful.

You can request to ask the photographer for their photos and ask to delete whichever does not seem appropriate to you or the cosplayer in question. Of course, such checks are extremely difficult in large group or gathering situations but you can at least minimize it in other scenarios. I don't think most people would like to leave the con thinking someone's nutting to them.
>>
>>8701075
DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN WITH ALCOHOL. Aspirin can cause stomach bleeding and taking it with alcohol can increase the risks of stomach bleeding.
>>
>>8701651
>congoer comes up
>No, sorry, I'm my costume needs fixing/I'm on my way to the bathroom/masquerade/I've lost a friend/etc.
>FUCKING BITCH IT'S JUST A PHOTO FUCK YOU
>>
>>8702781
>Invest in a small, carry-on sized suitcase for con weekends instead of being that person that brings everything in plastic bags, canvas totes, sewing machine boxes, or anything similar. You are a grown adult. Pack like one. No one wants to be walking around your hobo pile.
This. Also recommend Japanese-style school bags. You can get them cheap on aliexpress or eBay, you can fit in food, water, change of shoes, a game/book, wallet, phone, etc., fit in with a lot of costumes and just look like a sports bag to normies.
>>
>>8701740
>Nope. Not the girl

We assumed you were the guy and not JNig.

>>8701869
And floss, too! A lot of that mouth odor comes from rotting food stuck between your teeth.

>>8702781
>>If you are going to steal something in the dealers' room, have a 5-person formation, including a main thief, a distraction, two people to cover you, and an emergency backup.

But how am I supposed to split that SakuraXNaruto dojinshi 5 ways?
>>
>>8702975
If your friends were real friends, they would help you steal the doujinshi for free.
>>
>>8701272
>You don't want to be the guy who's passed out on the couch by the elevator
Speaking from experience, the worst thing that could happen to a passed out guy is that hotel staff/security rudely wakes you up and tells you to go back to your room. You're not going to get raped.
>>
File: images-3.jpg (10KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
images-3.jpg
10KB, 320x320px
>>8702975
Nah not the guy either :)
Assuming is baaaaad mkay
>>
>>8702428
You do or you don't. Like I care man. If you put your arms around someone without them known and not asking them first then that means you're a creeper. It's not hard to ask. How you went about on asking is stupid.
>>
>ask cosplayer for photo, get in to pose with them
>THEY put their arm around ME
i didn't mind because she was really pretty and i could feel her soft sideboob but is this rape
>>
>>8703169
>If you put your arms around someone without them known and not asking them first then that means you're a creeper.

>go out dancing
>meet some girl
>put my arm around her without asking
>she doesn't blow her rape whistle
>puts her arm around me

Wowzer! And I didn't even ask for a photo!
>>
>>8698274
>It helps with impulse buys if you know you can get it 20$ cheaper off of ebay

This. Half the time I leave the con and end up completely forgetting about the thing I wanted anyway. But especially for official merchandise you can pretty much always get it cheaper online.
>>
>>8704022
Wow, drunk girls are down for anything, who would have guessed it? Protip: cons aren't dance clubs, there are people aren't there that looking to get laid.
>>
>>8703055
Girls won't get raped in public either.

The real worry is people taking pictures of your drunk unconscious ass and mocking you on the internet.
>>
>>8704152
Furthermore, there are a lot of underaged people at cons.
>>
>>8704152

Not every girl out dancing is looking to get laid.
It's pretty much the same principle. People know that when they go to cons/a club, others might get close to them. But you lot start calling people "creepy" for delicately placing a hand on a shoulder.
>>
>>8704165
Dude, that girl probably told all her friends about that touchy-feely creep on her way home. Also, people in clubs are normally drunk and so a) they expect people to lack inhibitions and get in their space and b) are drunk themselves so don't care as much. It's normal for someone to get up in your space at a club, you expect it. At a con, you know it's only the creeps trying to do it. Nice try, buddy. Ask your mother for a hug and get some personal contact that way.
>>
>>8704171
>At a con, you know it's only the creeps trying to do it

I would guess that literally 95%+ of the people wanting to get a photo with a cosplayer will put their arm around them. It's just pretty much what you do when you're in a photo with somebody. Nice try gal, go to your dad and hug him to smell his cologne
>>
>>8704176
You would guess wrong. There are more people that respect your personal space than there are people like you.
>>
>>8697756
do not go to any convention. stay home.
>>
>>8704022
Lol so you're saying that girls who are at cons should be like the girls who go clubbing. Ok then, im trying to process your logic
>>
>>8704388

Here matey potatey, here's the reasoning, real slow just for you
>girl wants to go to club
>girl knows that people are fairly touchy-feely
>girl goes to club
>people touch her

>girl wants to go to con
>girl knows that people are fairly touchy-feely
>JESUS CHRIST FUCKING RAPIST MY SHOULDER'S IN THERAPY SINCE 2012 I'M TRIGGERED BY HANDS CHECK OUT MY TUMBLR
>>
>>8704802
except a lot of cons are a family environment
fuck off
>>
>>8704802
Cons are not clubs? If you want to have interactions like that, go to a club. Cons are for shopping, going to panels, socializing, etc. None of this implies grind-dancing in your Death Note cosplay, buster. Deal with it.
>>
>>8704802
Then go to the club and pick up chicks there. Good luck trying to do the same at cons but hey I'm the potato sweat do I know ==
>>
>>8704802
Most cons even have seperate areas for partying. The general con floor is not a party and people are usually wearing or carrying expensive shit. Most people will say it's okay to be touched anyway or just not give a fuck, but if someone doesn't want to be touched it's probably for a good reason.
>>
>>8702771
Op here, Parents are extremely relieved, I send mine multiple texts throughout the day, selfies with friends so they know I'm not alone, photos of my outfit for the day, etc.

Even though I'm 20, my parents still get worried about me, even if I'm only an hour away.
>>
>>8702748
iktf. It's even worse when they won't let people just move in any direction whatsoever.
>>
>>8702771
Especially if you bring a younger sibling with you like I usually do. It helps that the con I usually go to are family-friendly though, they get less worried when i tell them how it is in the con center.
>>
>>8704180
this.

sorry, selfish anons.
>>
>Bring a sewing kit if you're wearing cosplay or j-fashion.
>No memes.
>Do not sing the Pokemon theme in public. It's awkward and embarrassing for everyone involved.
>Most con raves will not allow you to bring bags in. Be prepared.
>If you're young and/or female, avoid going to the rave alone at all costs. It's prime creeper time.
>If you're young and/or female, be alert and wary of strangers on the whole. There are a lot of awesome people at conventions, but there are also a lot of weirdos who like to prey on teenagers with low self-esteem. Trust your gut, and don't make friends with grown-ass adults who like to hit on high school kids.
With that last point in mind, this is why I think one should ask before touching a cosplayer. Young women especially tend to be in high alert at cons, because they're often harassed, stalked, et cetera. It's nothing personal against you, but they're more likely to be uncomfortable with random physical contact because you are more likely to be a rapist. It sucks, but thems the breaks.
>>
>>8709068
And still there are potatoes who think it's ok to touch people especial cosplayers
Again it's not that hard to ask and accept that cosplayers will say no. Don't compare the situation to say a club coz the people you got to deal with are different.
> waiting for a potato to say something like " Ohh the girls at clubs are totally fine with me touching them and stuff" blah blah blah. Please don't compare
>>
File: 12470354-standard.jpg (174KB, 665x967px) Image search: [Google]
12470354-standard.jpg
174KB, 665x967px
Do you guys think con-going etiquette/tips should get some kind of infograph? I'm into graphic design and maybe I could make one if I have some time, or some other anons could make one or multiple ones?

It could be separated into parts, like
>Etiquette (separated into photog, AA, exhibit hall, and general.)
>Health & Safety
>General Tips
>Pet Peeves

Maybe if someone has the hookups, it could even be a brochure that cons could order and put into their complimentary guest bags. I dunno. Or the infograph can be published in their guidebooks.
>>
>>8709068
>>If you're young and/or female, avoid going to the rave alone at all costs. It's prime creeper time.
If you're older and female but don't look it, be prepared to have someone half your age that could very well be old enough to be your child try to hit on you at the rave. Go to the bar with the rest of the adults. Trust me on this.

>Used to love con raves and dancing till the wee hours of the morning to burn off all that pocky and ramune. never again.
>>
>>8709705
That sounds like a good idea.
>>
Don't forget to eat properly. If I don't eat i become lightheaded and dizzy.
At times like that I get jealous of my bf who can just not eat for extended periods of time without any of this.
>>
>>8709705
please anon, please
>>
>>Don't take photos in the Vender's Hall.
>>Ask before taking someone's picture
>>If someone says no leave them alone
>>Seriously. Don't ask them 10 more times, if they tell you no back the fuck off.
>>Shower.
>>
Bring a decently sized day bag/backbag. One where you can fit your essentials, such as wallet, water bottle, snacks and your con loot if you're going to buy any. I know way too much people who bring only a small purse to cons and getting tired of carrying their additional stuff. It's not a bad idea also to bring some change clothes especially if your hotel is far and you're going to have long day.
>>
Pace yourself in the early days. During late If you've walked around a few times and see nothing interesting on the con floor or in the programming then you might want to considering crashing for the night so you can have more energy for future days when you need to pull the all nighter

If there's a huge break in your schedule then consider using that time to eat. Don't wait till your hungry as lines will delay your service and you'll feel miserable

Avoid the phrase "we'll do it later" when given the chance to do something with your friends or attendees. Far too often your schedule will not line up again or you fail to get in contact with the people you need to meet. Unless these are your roommates or close friends then you should take these moments when they arise.
>>
Besides showering and brushing your teeth frequently, wash your goddamn hair.
>>
>>8709729
>>8710334
I'm gonna go through this thread and put a bunch of the advice in a word document. I'll come and make a new thread for con advice after I've made it/after this one hits post limit. It'll be pretty and stuff. Maybe not til this weekend though.

Don't let me stop anyone else from making one though, the more the better!
>>
My advice would be to day trip to a local or nearby con first so you can get the hang of how convention things generally work. If you get to travel to one after that, besides the obvious: eat, sleep, hygiene, courtesy...I'd say to join the con forum in advance so you can see what is going on, plan things in advance etc.
>>
>>8697756
>What advice would you give to a first-time con-goer?
Buy con food
Of course buy food at the convention.
Otherwise you'll pass out from starvation.
Geez.
>>
>>8702209

because in america, literally every single man is a rapist who cannot be trusted, no exceptions whatsoever
>apparently
>>
File: 1391437265110.jpg (210KB, 600x574px) Image search: [Google]
1391437265110.jpg
210KB, 600x574px
>>8697785

>don't touch women that you don't know
unless you look like Chris Hemsworth in which case touch away
>>
If you're cosplaying, bring repair and quick fix supplies just in case. ESPECIALLY if you've never worn this costume before. The kinds of wardrobe malfunctions you can discover after having had it on for a while are limitless. I usually at least bring a needle and thread, safety pins, and E6000. Depending on what your costume is, you might want to bring different or additional repair kit items.

Also, again if you're cosplaying, don't just bring costumes. Bring a normal outfit or two just in case you need a break or encounter an emergency situation. I was at MTAC the year that it flooded and my nice Friday-Sunday con turned into a miserable Friday-Thursday adventure of trying to get back to my house. I only had costumes with me. Had to buy overpriced t-shirts and stuff in the dealer room to have something to wear until the part of town I lived in was accessible again. Weird situation, but since then I always bring a couple casual outfits and extra necessities like underwear.
>>
>>8697829
First time here, I've read a few threads and it seems like a lot of you have some kind of social problems. "Can I touch you" will come off creepy even if you're a good looking guy, although some girls might be into that.

Avoid the whole thing by at least pretending you're a normal person and showing that you know about cosplay shit all at once by smiling and asking "Hey, I won't mess up your costume if I put my arm on your shoulder will I?"

That way even if it won't mess it up, but she's not comfortable with it, you're giving her a chance to say 'no touch pls'.
>>
>>8699099
>every girl in school
You know this site is 18+, right?
>>
>>8714024
> what is bringing snacks with you
> what is buying food from nearby the convention center
Only buy con food if you want something convenient or you see something you like.
Thread posts: 221
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.