[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Esoteric finance/ investing strategies. I want your most esoteric

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: technical analysis.jpg (333KB, 842x519px) Image search: [Google]
technical analysis.jpg
333KB, 842x519px
Esoteric finance/ investing strategies.

I want your most esoteric stuff, the stuff buy-side analysts discuss behind closed doors. I don't want the buy low sell high or trend trading vanilla. I want to hear about the most creative and esoteric ideas you've stumbled across throughout your trading careers. I want exotic.

I guess I'll share one to kind of give an idea of what I am looking for:

I was big into stock options. I happened to stumble across this book that delved into the techniques of trading on, or around expiration Friday. The book went on to talk about strike-price pinning and how a gravitation from one strike price to another on a day like expiration day could be 500-1000%+ moves. There was evidence of these moves cited with data and back-testing. It was a very esoteric trading idea outside of even your most exotic forms of options trading.

I'm looking for things like this. It could be in arbitrage, bonds, futures, etc. I just want to read something different and see if it can't open up my mind a bit.
>>
>>999917
Or it could be -99%
>>
>>999917
Water rights

you're welcome
>>
>>1000765
old news
air rights are the big thing now

i've been doing well on interest rate swaps. not that exotic but people get retarded before fed meetings and give away money.
>>
Buy the close and sell the open. Every day.

You'll make 20+% every year.
>>
>>999917
buy lending club notes towards the end of their lifecycle at a discount - they tend to pay better than others and it helps others get liquity.

thats the funkiest I've done. except for taking out 5k in student loans to do so. Sitting at 7k and its only been about a year
>>
File: notes.png (48KB, 549x518px) Image search: [Google]
notes.png
48KB, 549x518px
>>1000890
how far into the lifecycle are you talking? i too thought about this idea. alternatively, invest in high interest notes, wait a few months and then sell before they stop paying.

i decided to get my feet wet in lending club not too long ago, pic related
>>
>>999917
Gap trading, observe mm movement to and below the vwap. Good for 5-10% a day depending on how talented you are at managing emotions, and how close your stop loss is.
>>
File: LCC.jpg (4MB, 3104x6920px)
LCC.jpg
4MB, 3104x6920px
>>1000922
I fucking love lending club.

He is the deal compadre. When you're 25 pmts in to a 36 pmt loan you are more likely to complete the loan than some dude who just got in the loan. Your attrition rate and chances of default tend to be lower the longer they have been in the loan.

You could use that strat, but you'll get fucked by early payment defaults.

honestly 99% of my loans I just buy and hold outright. Yeah shit charges off. but more people pay interest than charge off so im good. Pic very related
>>
>>1000938
Is Lending club only for the US?
>>
>>1000948
no idea- google it m8
>>
>>1000938
>unsecured, nonrecourse consumer loans
godspeed
>>
Look into Earik Beann.
>>
>>1000965
shits been working - good diversification. I will admit I've been investing in some other credit qualities - it has been lowering my overall return but I want to be spread across credit ranges.

also if goldman fucking sachs is getting into the consumer loan biz. I think its a good time to be here.

all dat return
hnnng

serious though - any other strats are people using?
>>
File: technical_analysis.png (250KB, 805x535px) Image search: [Google]
technical_analysis.png
250KB, 805x535px
>>1001187
i programmed a duck-typed algo to look for the duck TA pattern
>>
>>1001194

thats some funny shit m8

desu I see TA as nothing but chart wizardry voodoo type shit.

but then again I don't know shit about it
>>
File: shemitah-real.png (1MB, 1366x2653px) Image search: [Google]
shemitah-real.png
1MB, 1366x2653px
>>1001196
you should have seen my market prediction for this year
>>
>>999917
sentiment analysis from data mining on twitter

NLP algos reading 10-k reports

playing games with latency - submitting/cancelling a bunch of orders to increase latency at a gateway and fuck the competition

using the risk system to infer positions and indirectly front run clients despite the presence of a Chinese wall
>>
>>999917
I don't know if this qualifies for what you're looking for, but I took out a 3% balance transfer offer from my credit card company then dumped it in an offseas forex account located in Bulgaria. Then I subscribed said account to a signal provider and averaged 8% return a month for a year.

Surprisingly, nothing went wrong and I made huge dosh. Totally never doing it again though.

>>1000938
Thanks for telling me about this, I've been looking for where to move my stupid money next.
>>
>>1001194

Legit lost my chit.

OP here. Good job guys.

I've been trying to use my knowledge of options to craft some kind of neutral position strategy where I capitalize on volatility increases only. If you're fluent in options, there is a volatility premium baked into the formula for the price, so when a security 'stops' moving (vol dries up), so does the premium. The trick is to time it somewhat right so you don't lose money on the theta side, spreads, and commissions. Buying before large, known events is almost a no-go because everyone buys up options before these foreseen moves so the premiums increase naturally. What I want to do is monitor the volatility outside of these event dates and see if I can recognize repeatable patterns in volatility spikes. Kind of ambitious, but the ultimate goal is to make money no matter what direction the markets move in.
>>
>>1001337
i tried this with the vix didnt work shit m8
>>
>>999917

friend of mine writes call options on VXX, an ETN that tracks the VIX

being short the calls gives you exposure to theta decay as well as the negative roll yield (contango) as the ETN rolls the front month contract over.
>>
I run a algo that notices small things like the moons effect on fuel prices (the transportation sector requires less fuel when the moon is overhead due to gravity) and trade on them daily.

I've so far have turned a starting $100 amount into the equivalent of a six figure salary for me.
>>
so I get this is like a comedy thread and people are gonna post some outlandish shit that never works.

I dont know much about charts, equations, all these fancy words you guys are using but I have made consistent 7-8% return on investment for close to 30 months now, that is between 7-8% per month for those 30 months.

Some months I got higher, but it generally sits in the upper single digits.

I have a very simple method I use.

I literally buy the highest stock at the end of the day the following day, and hold it till the end of the next day when I sell.

So I look for stocks that are up at least 15% per day, but I do not get into anything that grows over 35% per day. That is the golden window, it just seems like stocks that fall into that zone are the most consistent for next day increase in value.

This is literally the only thing I do, I was told this strategy by my cousin who is ten years older than me.

over 15% under 35% grown on a stock at closing bell. purchase that stock the next day and hold it til closing.

^ glad I could help you guys make some monies.
>>
Is everyone in this thread retarded or trolling??
>>
They all use Martin Armstrong's computer model, which in turn uses pi, fibonacci sequences, fractals, and other shit
>>
File: hayppy_cercei.jpg (540KB, 970x700px) Image search: [Google]
hayppy_cercei.jpg
540KB, 970x700px
>>1001996
I do the excact opposite with 2015 130% annual return even without leverage =D I buy the -15% closing stocks
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.