[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Basic income for every citizen, with a fixed percentage increase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1449869169942.jpg (54KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1449869169942.jpg
54KB, 640x640px
Basic income for every citizen, with a fixed percentage increase from base for every child, free healthcare, flat tax, no minimum wage, all other welfare programs dropped.
Size and scope of federal government reduced, virtually all state programs aside from the FDA, EPA National Parks Service, etc kept alive.

What happens to our economy?
>>
>>999197

Do you really expect that one person can run all the numbers and figure out what a complete change in our current system would do?

Do even a few of those things and expect the market to crash because of uncertainty.
>>
>>999197
>Basic income for every citizen, with a fixed percentage increase from base for every child, free healthcare, flat tax, no minimum wage, all other welfare programs dropped.
>Size and scope of federal government reduced, virtually all state programs aside from the FDA, EPA National Parks Service, etc kept alive.

Impossible in the US.

Minimum income for people to be just at the poverty line or so in most cities is ~$20k/yr.

Type in 20 000 x 320 000 000 in your calculator and look at the number that pops up. That's how much money we need to pay for it.
>>
Don't listen to the trump shills and the 1%. Everyone would be able to live comfortably and have more time to engage in hobbies they enjoy and spend times with their families. The elite fear this!
>>
>>999237
It would cost many more times all of the current taxmoney we have, how would we even afford it?
>>
>>999197
Well since everyone has at least $20K a year for doing nothing I'd expect the dollar to deflate to the point $20K is more like $20.
>>
>>999251
It will only cost 6.4 trillion dollars :^)

I think we can manage that!
>>
>>999197
Flat tax is grossly unfair because the percentage of income for necessities varies wildly.

Look at it this way, let's say the country has 100 people in it and they live in a hotel. One guy has the penthouse. He has the best view, he gets room service, there's a masseuse that comes in every day, a hot-tub and a private helicopter pad on the roof. The next 20 guys get the next couple of floors down. They have a great view, room service, etc. No helicopter, but still pretty damn good. The next 30 or so get the family suites. Views might be OK, but no frills and they have to really badger the front desk for help with any problems.

Everyone else gets ratty cots in the basement.

Flat tax is like charging everyone the same price for their accommodations.
>>
>>999260
>Flat tax is like charging everyone the same price for their accommodations.
Do you even know what a flat tax is? It would be like charging everyone based on the floor they live on.
>>
>>999197
I actually thought about this. The problem is that the federal government spends $4T a year.

Assuming you use social security, some of the defense budget, and welfare spending to pay for it, the most you could round up would be about $2T. This of course excludes medicare, because you don't want all the old people dying.

With that being said, there are ~245M people under 18 years of age.

It would come out to about $8,163 per person.

However, you have to consider the economic effects of this.

A lump-sum income would deter people from working, as people's need to consume falls as they earn more.

Also, inflation maybe?

All in all, the most that could probably be held feasibly for this would be around $500/month.

Now that's actually not a bad idea. This would pay for food + necessities ($200-300/mo) and part of your rent?

All in all, it would be decent for NEETs that own their housing and would make working part-time and chilling a reality.
>>
>>999350
In the US it would have to be means tested. Some people make a good living off of welfare. Average Medicaid recipient in my state (Alaska) costs 10,000/year. Add public housing (~6,000/year), food stamps ($3,000/year) utilities subsidies, other programs etc. And you're talking real money. I would rather cut a check for $20,000/year and save millions on administering these programs (salaries, facilities, software, etc). Alaska spends 3 billion/year on social welfare programs (state and federal) and the population is only 750,000. It's astonishing how expensive these programs are.
>>
>>999237
>everyone should be able to live comfortably

I'm so sick of hearing this shit. Where do you get that from? Not nature, certainly, and some people have nothing to offer. How are we going to turn all of Africa and India into Anytown USA? By going broke. People deserve to be rewarded for work, sure.

But nobody is guaranteed and easy path in life by existing. That's the philosophy of a welfare leech that only seeks to drain the system it promotes so others can take care of the work it takes for anyone to live comfortably.
>>
>>999197
>FDA
Why?
>>
File: 1420249906988.gif (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1420249906988.gif
54KB, 625x626px
>>999237
>the elite fear this
>>
>>999197
Ok so let's do some maths OP
>UK working population (aged 16-59 for women and 16-64 for men) is just over 38 million.
>Let's round up the Entire DWP budget, around £170bn
>Works out around £4473 per person
Now let's use more up to date figures
>220 Billion
>Only amounts to 5789 / year
Wouldn't work in the UK - even though we NEED to get rid of the leeches
>>
>>999350
>~245M people under 18 years of age.
>in a country of 310M
>>
>>999197

The end
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.