[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So it's this thread again... Why do you guys value finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1420203600831.jpg (156KB, 932x680px) Image search: [Google]
1420203600831.jpg
156KB, 932x680px
So it's this thread again... Why do you guys value finance as a course over any other?

I was thinking of following through with /biz/'s advice (cause nothing wrong ever came of thate rite!) but was wondering whether the maths there isn't too demanding? In my country, I'm in the scientific section (meaning I'm better in maths than 3/4th of students) but I'm asking to be sure.
>>
>>994812
>So it's this thread again... Why do you guys value finance as a course over any other?

Because this is a business and finance board. People interested in business and finance come here, and they happen to wish to major in business and finance and discuss business and finance careers.
>>
>>994824
I understand that, yet why do you consider that a finance course will better train you than say a course revolving on economics or business management (which I've often seen called "meme degrees" here) in comparison to finance)?
>>
>>994826
>yet why do you consider that a finance course will better train you than say a course revolving on economics or business management (which I've often seen called "meme degrees" here) in comparison to finance)?

Economics is too theoretical, and pretty much requires a masters degree from a good school to be utilized.

Business management is too broad and doesn't teach you very much in terms of specialized skills.

Accounting or Finance is just right because it teaches you many specialized skills, is high paying, doesn't require a masters to be worth anything and (finance) is overall exciting and fun for most people interested in business compared to economics or marketing or some other meme.
>>
>>994839
A massive thank you!

Judging by what people from my school are selecting,only tjhose with political ambitions are choosing economics, as if to endow themselves with a theoretical but basic grasp of economics.

Not much other people are opting for BM? and I've heard that it's now degenerated into a degree for "leadership skills" and "cooperation techniques" and all that other good meme stuff.

My question now (should you choose to answer it) is whether finance is especially demanding in maths if I'll be remaining within corporate finance only. In theory, I'm really good at maths, but it seems that people sometimes want to accuentate how hard its maths are. And I'm guessing that finance forces you to maintain strong awareness of current events, since that's also what endears me to it?
>>
>>994845
>Judging by what people from my school are selecting,only tjhose with political ambitions are choosing economics, as if to endow themselves with a theoretical but basic grasp of economics.

You're going to have Economics courses as pre-reqs or even electives(if you choose them, and you should) anyway. No point of majoring in it really.

>Not much other people are opting for BM? and I've heard that it's now degenerated into a degree for "leadership skills" and "cooperation techniques" and all that other good meme stuff

Pretty much, it's like liberal arts-easy tier for the most part.

>My question now (should you choose to answer it) is whether finance is especially demanding in maths if I'll be remaining within corporate finance only. In theory, I'm really good at maths, but it seems that people sometimes want to accuentate how hard its maths are

Yes math is important for Finance, very important.

if you want to make money I would suggest Accounting or Finance. Accounting might be a bit better but also more boring and you'll be a big 4 slave for a few years which kind of sucks. Finance is higher paying from the get-go and actually engaging, if you enjoy it of course.
>>
File: S.png (13KB, 1165x158px) Image search: [Google]
S.png
13KB, 1165x158px
>>994855
>Yes math is important for Finance, very important.

But beyond how prevalent it is, how difficult would you rate it. In all technicalities, as I'm currently studying under a scientific stream (weird french stuff, don't ask) I should be most prepared for the maths found in finance. But I'm still nagged by that fear of not excelling enough in maths to do a finance course... Anyways thanks a bunch, and my apologies for wasting your time to some extent.

Oh and
>Accounting might be a bit better but also more boring and you'll be a big 4 slave for a few years which kind of sucks. Finance is higher paying from the get-go and actually engaging, if you enjoy it of course.

What if the uni groups the two under one course? Is it a meme unversity if so?
>>
>>994869
>But beyond how prevalent it is, how difficult would you rate it. In all technicalities, as I'm currently studying under a scientific stream (weird french stuff, don't ask) I should be most prepared for the maths found in finance

Not incredibly difficult(compared to scientific-type stuff) but it's just different.

As long as you feel comfortable with math in general and you're willing to work hard and actually enjoy the subject you can easily get good marks and succeed in it. Main points are interest + working hard. Everything else can be learned.

>What if the uni groups the two under one course? Is it a meme unversity if so?

Not sure how it is in France but usually you'll have almost identical first year(and maybe 2nd year) courses but then in later years you specialize in marketing, finance, or accounting.
>>
>>994889
>Not incredibly difficult(compared to scientific-type stuff) but it's just different.

That's a relief to be heard then. I generally can succeed in maths, but would also be much more helped if the formulas taught actually related to real data, and not abstract numbers with which we're taught now. And this would actually be for England, for the bants of travelling, though I'm concerned that my counsellor (that'll compose my letter of reccomendation for universities) might overstimate the maths that goes into finance, and might too much try to present my math grades as a selling point for those universities. Because it isn't all maths is it? Some excellent grades in history or physics (pretty math-related in the way it's taught in France) might be appreciated by some universities, even if it is only for a finance course?
>>
>>994902
Gosh I'm so sorry. I always say I'm over with the questions, then find some ways to harrass you some more. Ignore unless you're truly bored and have nothing else to entertain you.

And sorry for the haziness at some point. My english can be meh at times.
>>
>>994902
>Because it isn't all maths is it? Some excellent grades in history or physics (pretty math-related in the way it's taught in France) might be appreciated by some universities, even if it is only for a finance course?

Not really ideal but I suppose so. Talk to your counselor/admissions about it.
>>
>>994910
Thank you ever so much though. Have a nice night sweetie OP!
>>
>>994920
are u a cute french girl?

I would like a gf please
>>
>Finance is a field that deals with the study of investments. Which includes the dynamics of assets and liabilities over time under conditions of different degrees of uncertainty and risk.
Holy fuck what an awesome field.
>>
If you're unconfident in your mathematical abilities definitely go into Accounting. Higher pay than Finance, far high pay once you've done all your qualifications and more of a chance to work your way up the ladder. A lot more CFOs and CEOs in top management have an accounting background than a finance background, also have more skills to offer as a grad.

If you're confident in your mathematical abilities just go actuary and enjoy one of the lowest unemployment rates in the US and big $$$. Hard mathematically, but if you can handle it I'd really recommend you look into it, my cousin did instead of Engineering and he is 27 now and has paid off his own 2 storey house.

Consider Econ too if youre interested in business, no matter what don't do international business like me or you'll end up unemployed for life
>>
>>995010
total lies, accounting pays less than finance
>>
>>995010
>Falling for the accounting meme

Accounting CAN be good but for the first few years you're worked like an absolute slave in big 4. Underpaid and under-appreciated.

Maybe eventually you get to a good spot but in combination with how boring the work is for most people Finance is a much better choice.
>>
>>995018
"Accounting" is a broad field, you can get some book-keeper that does a weekend cert who calls themselves an Accountant on Craigslist.
An Accounting grad will 9/10 out-earn a Finance grad and once you've got your CA/CPA and a few more qualifications you'll easily earn more, let alone as a partner or with 10-20 years experience. An Accounting grad will also always have demand for their work, someone in Finance can get fucked over by the economy a lot more as did many post-GFC when industry regulations were tightened.

Im not trying to shill my own degree, I just regret not taking Accounting myself and would recommend it unless you're 100% set on something. At the very least if you do want to go into finance youll get credit for half your subjects at least, your call
>>
>>995029
what has a higher income ratio
>>
>>995029
>An Accounting grad will 9/10 out-earn a Finance grad

EEEHHHH. Wrong. You fell for the accounting meme.

Working for big 4 is ~$50k starting and you'll be worked like a fuckin slave, less than minimum wage when accounting for hours easily.

CPA takes thousands of hours of working under someone and studying for exams(off the hours so you're not paid) too. Only then at that point do you become somewhat valuable.
>>
>>995038
nothing wrong with finance, just saying if you think its going to be like anything from wolf of wall street think again. The sort of lifestyle between accounting and finance is much the same and I think its ridiculous you think in Accounting you'll be worked like a slave when Finance is notorious for 50 or even 60 hour work weeks, if not more.
>>
>>995038
if you wanted to make bank what would you do?
>>
>>995046
>I think its ridiculous you think in Accounting you'll be worked like a slave when Finance is notorious for 50 or even 60 hour work weeks, if not more.

True but you'll be worked an identical amount if not more in le big 4. At least in Finance you'll somewhat enjoy yourself and be compensated for it. Accounting for first ~3 years in a big 4 is a disaster.

Idk they're both good options but it's unfair and misleading to say that Accounting is far superior.

>>995049
That would depend on what you enjoy and what you're good at.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.