[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk roads and Internet. Why does the government

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: a3LV8Wm_460s.jpg (62KB, 460x636px) Image search: [Google]
a3LV8Wm_460s.jpg
62KB, 460x636px
Let's talk roads and Internet.
Why does the government build roads? Why doesn't it build fibre networks in the same way they build roads? In today's age access to Internet is almost as important as access to the freedom of movement roads provide. I'm not suggesting that government should be an ISP, but building and maintaining essential, high speed connections between every human settlement shouldn't be left to monopolistic for profit entities who intentionally stiffle competition and provide subpar services whenever they aren't forced to do so by competition. Compare it to highways, government should build main backbones that are modular and future proof (growth projection for the next 20 years, let's say) since the main cost is human labour, not cable, and lease the connections to any individual or ISP for a fixed cost and leave the last mile distribution to them to compete over.

Could this work? Why not? Any better way of handling this important infrastructure? Large companies do this very inefficiently (US, Australia).
>>
Americans are strongly against letting the government handle anything. Even roads are complete dogshit here in Texas because conservatives don't want to pay a penny more in taxes.

Telecom lobbyists are also not going to just let it go under the radar since they have a monopoly to protect.
>>
False equivalence, the NBN ended up being a clusterfuck under Labor, with delays and massive budget blow outs.

Australia is unique in the world in that we have a small population in a large country, so of course our internet infrastructure is going to be sub-par compared to a South Korea or Germany.

Simply put, country areas don't need fiber. The fixed NBN wireless is more than enough for farmers and regional business.

I would agree that investment into infrastructure is better than simply giving out welfare.
>>
>>989703

>Americans are strongly against letting the government handle anything. Even roads are complete dogshit here in Texas because conservatives don't want to pay a penny more in taxes.

The roads are complete dogshit in California and New York as well.
>>
>>989709
>Sub-Par to Germany.
This is hard to achieve. Internet isn't this good here... I'm living in a 120000 people city and I only receive around 5k. Infrastructure gets upgraded really slow...
>>
>>989727
>5k
maybe in the east kekeke
>>
File: Untitled.png (16KB, 687x419px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16KB, 687x419px
>>989727

I live outside of a town with 800 people and I get this.

It would be closer to 25 down if I actually used the hard connection, this is with my shitty wifi.
>>
people hate and don't trust any part of the government. they also hate paying taxes for any reason. then they get mad when roads, services, infrastructure, etc. are all shit
>>
>>989741

>people hate and don't trust any part of the government. they also hate paying taxes for any reason. then they get mad when roads, services, infrastructure, etc. are all shit

I have no issue with paying for infrastructure, my issue is that the vast majority of my taxes don't go towards infrastructure at all.
>>
OP here.

>>989703
It's a deep problem. If faced with a choice of spending billions on Shaniqua's free money or fancy military or science R&D, I'll choose the later, purely because it gives some value at the end (NASA produced some amazing shit). Still, if there was an option to vote for someone who will spend billions on repairing and building a good, solid, lasting infrastructure, I'd definitely vote for that. Imagine a modern day equivalent of highway building, where you'd connect the country with shit ton of fiber instead of road. It's like a country based on trade transport hates to build roads, US from which most Internet tech comes from is stingy on Internet connections.

>>989709
>Australia is unique in the world in that we have a small population in a large country
m8...
>Simply put, country areas don't need fiber. The fixed NBN wireless is more than enough for farmers and regional business.
I'm not really sure they'd refuse it if offered for a okay price.

>>989741
>>989745
One thing is for sure when talking about roads, it's definitely possible and US is barely average in that respect. Austria, Spain, Japan, Switzerland, they all have very good and very well maintained roads. It's politically will I suppose.
>>
>>989804
The US Northeast is one of the most consistently rocky areas with snowfall. It's essentially the shitty parts of Scottland for 200 miles.
>>
>>989840
>>989804
I should clarify more, I mean that it has a high concentration of rock in the soil, which causes frost heaves to ruin the roads every single winter.

If it was pure rock it wouldn't be a problem, if it was pure soil it wouldn't be a problem, but it's a 50/50 mix for as far as the eye can see and that fucks roads up big time.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.