[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can you tell whether a job market will be saturated by the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1

File: eat sleep law.jpg (5KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
eat sleep law.jpg
5KB, 236x236px
What is the best way to tell what the job market will be like by the time you graduate.
There used to be a shortage of lawyers in the US, but then the job market suddenly became saturated as fuck! Nobody saw that coming!
Source: https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/05/09/the-lawyer-bubble-pops-not-moment-too-soon/qAYzQ823qpfi4GQl2OiPZM/story.html
>>
Nursing/Medicine (Nurse Practitioners are replacing most doctor roles because of cost cutting and lack of Medical graduates), Engineering, Finance, Accounting, and minimum wage/any other major.

Pick 1.
>>
>>989610
Yeah I was expecting someone to say Nursing and Medicine, but unfortunately, I am not suited for these jobs.
>>
>>989782

Can always take up a trade. HVAC is always in demand in the south. I live in Texas and know a few guys in my neighborhood making good money in HVAC.
>>
>>989783
>lways in demand
That may change though. Look at what happened to law. People predicted that there would be a shortage and now there is an oversupply of lawyers.
How can you be sure that this will jot happen to the trade industry?
>>
>>989836

So it's going to suddenly stop being 90+ degrees 9+ months out of the year in the south? People have been saying HVAC/Plumbing is oversaturated here in Texas for years. Then how come when my A/C goes out, I have to wait a week plus for somebody to come out because they're all booked?
>>
>>989848
Why the contradiction then?
Things can change suddenly! This happened to Law and Pharmacy! People back then actually thought there would be a shortage!
>>
>>989848
But this board has been recommending HVAC since its inception. Surely most of 4chan is apprenticing for it AT THIS VERY MINUTE

HVAC bubble is gonna implode guys, short while you can!
>>
Anytime the money gets quite good on something, and you start to see everyone studying it. Within 5 years you got a bubble.
>>
Computer Science, Finance, pick one.
>>
>>990022
There is a shortage of both, Finance is more likely to produce a higher income.
>>
How's life looking for graduate physics students? Not that I really care because I've got my own business but just curious to see if anyone can offer any input on this.
>>
>>990071
Go Philosophy
>>
>>990024

Economics and Finance grads has the highest income ceiling of all majors, however engineering majors (incl comp sci) have the highest average income.

Money aside, Accounting is a degree that offers great job stability and a better work life balance than Finance professional, but the pay is less. Nursing is also a good choice. The pay is above the US average, and it has a decent work life balance. Sure you get overtime if you work in a ER/ICU, but 3 days on 4 days or 7 days on 7 days off are common schedules, which gives you some free time to run a small business, passive income hobby, etc.

Trades are also ideal. They require minimal education and higher than average salaries. Also the ability to get your contractor's license after 4-5 years and run your own business.

I mean obviously there are tons of career choices within engineering, finance/economics, and accounting. There's nothing wrong picking something less lucrative like teaching or becoming a counselor or something, but if what you want is a chance at a high paying career, then you should probably major in engineering or finance, or economics if you plan on getting a Masters. If you want to suffer a pay cut for job stability or better work life balance, then go with accounting, nursing, or a trade. Pretty much everything else should be avoided, unless you are on a free ride to college and have rich parents to take care of you.
>>
>>990315
Ok, so I should major in CS & Finance (Or Statistics) (Double) or maybe minor in one and major in the other, what would you suggest for maximum wealth?
>>
>>990334

What kind of job do you want? Finance is generally glorified sales positions, where engineering is the opposite. Are you a people person? Good with sales? Always outgoing? If not, then you likely won't climb the ladders in Finance. Go with Comp Sci or an engineering major.
>>
>>990315

>Economics

Is economics really that well paying? I had the impression that accounting and finance were the top dogs to go for.
>>
>>990360
No, I'm not social, but that doesn't mean that I can't learn to be. I'm only social when approached, or have a good reason to approach someone.
>>
>>990360
Is doing both a good idea? Finance with a CS minor, and still get CS or Trading/Quant jobs with no problem?
>>
>>990431

Those lucrative Finance/Consulting jobs /biz/ dreams about has nothing to do with major and everything to do with experience and who you know. There's liberal arts majors on Wall Street
>>
>>990435
If it was you, what would you go with good security just in case?
>>
>>990446
any degree
>>
>>990475
>>990446

Meh, I personally don't like to bother with people. I enjoy the quiet sanctum of my cubicle. I'm a tax accountant for a small business in a small town. Not great pay but great job stability. Watch football with the boss every weekend. Chances of that happening in a big company are slim.

I chose accounting because math is easy, and I understood how businesses work because there are 3 business owners in my family.

Personally, I would go for engineering if you're good at it. Accounting is so easy and not very stressful. Couldn't imagine the constant critical thinking needed to be a programmer. Finance is good too. You can move up and make big money if you know how to find a sucker and take his money.

Just do what you're good at and what you think you'd feel most comfortable doing.
>>
>>990486
If I went finance I wouldn't want to end up at an insurance company but from what you are saying it has the biggest return, how long would an accounting computer science double major take and finance computer science?
>>
>>990500
Then again, a computer science major can get hired as a financial analyst
>>
>>990363
Economics graduate here... DON'T major in Economics... go accounting...

Econ degree at BA level is NOT respected. YOu have no skills to differentiate you from any other social science majors.

accounting will give you immediately applicable skills upon graduation. So don't do Econ unless you also get a masters.

Even then experience is necessary..

For an easier job search and life go accounting. After if you want get an Econ MA but you probably won't.
>>
>>990557
What's got the best monetary prospects
>>
>>989610
fuck yes.
I just got into a nursing program.
>>
>>989783
"you can always take up a trade"
can you now? go try.
>>
>>990669
I think CS will be king if I take on some finance and statistics courses with it
>>
>>990640
I cannot speak about what has the best. I can only speak from personal experience that Econ is a horrible major.

You are competing against psych, business, philo, soc, etc all liberal arts majors... and all the high end stuff they teach you like lots of regression and research is not needed by employers and if it is they want someone with at least a Masters in econ to do it. So I say avoid it.

Go for accounting.
>>
>>990688
Are you good at math? Are you good with basic computer structures?

By your first semester of Cpp at my school they expected people to be pretty slick behind a keyboard. By the 3rd semester we had about a 40% drop rate every semester after that.
>>
>>990703
>Cpp
>>990703
i'm ok at algebra, and i'm good at programming.
>>
>>989606

This comment is not entirely accurate about the practice of law. Large firms aren't hiring law students by the heard like they were back in the day.

However, having a law license is a priviledged position in our society. If you have the license, are competent, and have the ability to actually work and hustle to get clients, you can find paying clients for rates in my area starting at $250.00/hr. This rate increases over time by developing your expertise in a practice area, and more clients will also be referred to you by the local bar association as you develop a name for yourself as being good in an area.

What appears to be true is that gone are the days where every law school grad was woo'ed by large regional, national or international law firms to be hired out of school.

However, there is still an unprecedented demand for legal services in the United States. Enterprising, competent new lawyers can still make money filling by satisfying that demand.
>>
>>990315
I've heard that there is a shortage of Math teachers. Is picking that career a good choice? I'm still a high school student and that may become saturated by the time I graduate.
>>
>>991090
bump
>>
>>990071
I'm graduating with an MSci in a few months. Job prospects are good. I'm on a 2:1 and hold an offer from a BB bank.

I have classmates who have offers from top consultancies and accounting firms.

Also, a lot of people choose to go into academia but very few are in a position that they can't get a job. As long as you have a 2:1 or above you're fine.
>>
>>990557
This man speaks the truth, got my major in Econ only to be almost flat out told by employers and others that I need a masters. Seems Econ is typically something that is picked up to compliment what you already study.

Im doing Accounting now only because I could get credit recognition for a lot of my Econ subjects, if you want something that can pay well with an actual work life balance I'd recommend that. I know Finance is a meme on here because too many kids watch Wolf of Wall Street but I have friends that work in the industry and it sounds soul crushing and hard. same with Law. Engineering pays well and everything but unless you have a knack for Mathematics you'll find it difficult, its a hard degree which is why the jobs pay so well.

If I could do it again Id go with IT/Computer science or nursing, they seem like an ideal choice. Maybe if I was better with my hands I'd be an electrician or if I was smarter a doctor, end of the day no job is perfect though. You guys have to remember that even if you are on say $200k a year, you may be upper upper class, but you'll never be filthy rich and not have to worry about money unless you make some seriously lucky investments or run your own business. Most rich people are NOT self made.
>>
>>991090
bump
Can anyone answer this?
>>
>>991378
Finance is not meme.
>>
>>991378
As a med student docs aren't smart. We just memorize info well.
>>
>>991749
Good luck with saturated job market
>>
>>991752
The babe
>>
>>991594
There will generally be a shortage of math and science teachers because those who can 'do' the math generally get better paying jobs and don't tie themselves down to a teacher salary. Those who tend to become teachers are not high achievers.
Source: I'm a teacher
>>
>>991754
>The babe
There's a shortage of competent financial analyst.
>>
>>991755
Meant to say thx lel
>>
>>991754
Ok. Even by the time I graduate? I am still a high school student.
I've heard stories about unemployed Math majors though
>>
>>992066
bump for this
>>
>>992359
bump again
>>
>>989606
Go into corporate law.

It's not like they're going to replace a good lawyer with a robot or trial by combat or something.

Work for one of those massive unethical companies, even pays amazingly.
>>
>>991754

hm, Im a chemistry major and work in a math tutoring center at my school. I wasn't considering education as a possible career choice but it seems like a good bet considering the jobs and the joy I get from explaining concepts and topics to people. I love chemistry and math but it seems both are pretty shitty as far as jobs go. Ill look for some opportunities but will keep teaching in mind as a safe way to go in case everything else seems bleak. This board has scared the living shit out of me.
>>
>>992549
also, Ill probably get my masters in education to broaden job prospects and salary even further. My uncle Is a highschool teacher and makes $80,000 a year due to his masters, he has been teaching for three years and has good benefits
>>
>>990302

Philosophy isn't so bad an idea so long as you concentrate on the logic/mathematical side of things.
>>
How is a MSc in Financial Mathematics?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.