[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to invest $500, if I lose money on stocks do i still have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: N2XDtVY.jpg (98KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
N2XDtVY.jpg
98KB, 960x960px
I want to invest $500, if I lose money on stocks do i still have to pay taxes on that investment?
>>
>>989194
Simple answer, yes. Put it in an IRA and then invest it, and then no I don't think you do.
>>
>>989194
>I want to invest $500, if I lose money on stocks do i still have to pay taxes on that investment?
You're stupid to think of investing with only $500. Build your savings, fund your emergency fund, and then do it right.

But to answer your question, no, capital losses are not taxed in the U.S. >>989197 is a moron.
>>
>>989194
bitcoins
>>
>>989194

No.

In fact, you can deduct your loses from your total income.
>>
>>989347
up to 3000
>>
>>989382

Yes.
>>
>>989194
bruh, sanchovies.. it's u
>>
>>989194
Accounting major here, you can deduct capital losses up to $3000, however, unless you lose all of it, the remainder is still taxable based on your income, i would stick with this plan >>989206
>>
>>989194

If you're in Canada, your current losses can offset your future gains. Not sure about the US or where you live.

If the $500 is burning a hole in your pocket, set up a DRIP account and invest in a timeless company. If you keep investing into it annually, you'll be a millionaire by the time you retire.
>>
>>989194
essentially if you make greater than $37,000, the net gain (if there is one by the end of the year) is taxable between 15% and 20%, 20% if you're in the 39.6% tax bracket which is income greater than $413,000 a year
>>
>>990399
>Not sure about the US
Yes, you can carry forward unused capital losses in the US.
>>
If you're in the US, it depends on which tax form you file.

If you file EZ, where you don't itemize, you wouldn't have to pay taxes on the money you invested (other than when it was taxed when you first earned it), but you also wouldn't be able to deduct the loss.

If you file the long form, you itemize, at which point you could claim a loss and use that against any other gains you had.
>>
>>990559
>2015
>thinking the tax form determines which taxes are owed and not the other way around
>>
>>990559
Investment losses are on schedule D way before itemized deductions come into play. The amount of misinformation I see on this forum every day is astonishing.
>>
>>990559
>>you wouldnt have to

Judge, the form didnt have a line item for capital gains!
>>
>>990758
>astonishing
Oh yeah.
It's like the fucking ignorance depository.
But truly entertaining as well.
>>
>>989194
>invest
>$500

Save that shit nigga.
>>
>>991127
what if someone has $500 saved AND $500 they want to invest? /biz/ is so hard on low budget attempted traders.
>>
>>991950
That's because low budget attempts at trading are self-defeating. Sure, you could strike it rich and multiply your cash somewhat, but it's very unlikely. That's why serious trading requires serious money. At these low cash levels, people are really just gambling, that's how bad your odds are.
>>
Lel wtf if you lose money on stocks of course you don't pay taxes on it, you're LOSING money

Hey i just put $500 into a stock and lost it all, now i have to pay an extra $100 to the government for my loss tax

This fucking board man...
>>
>>992050
>Hey i just put $500 into a stock and lost it all, now i have to pay an extra $100 to the government for my loss tax
Sounds like that Sanders jackass
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.