[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

guys i have 100k and have been looking at a lot of real estate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: PhilipSeymourHoffmanSept2010.jpg (281KB, 939x778px) Image search: [Google]
PhilipSeymourHoffmanSept2010.jpg
281KB, 939x778px
guys i have 100k and have been looking at a lot of real estate lately, and seems like the vast majority of places barely break even in terms of rent versus mortgage/tax. which is slightly better than nothing, because someone else is paying your mortgage, but for a prop of 300k, literally the amount going to principal is about 300-400 for first 10 years

i saw a few that seem like they would make cash flow of like maybe 1k/month (4 unites rent over costs), but are in low middle class neighborhoods - like there would be no sense in improving the property or seems like would need work within 5 years.

the other option is to just put in index fund and wait. but market seems like in such a weird state for the past 10 years.

just dont know, i just dont see how to make it work and go to another level.

i could save another 200k i guess over 4-5 years and then buy com real estate i guess.

just seems interesting that i read these books - some people are making alot in real estate. but seems like a hard grind making it work.

sorry its been late and been obsessing and looking at numbers all day
>>
you can put 1 yearly dump of money into a house interest free. (where i live, probably the same where you live)

>buy house
>have tenants pay mortgage/slightly profit you while you work a stupid amount
>end of year dump a huge amount of cash into the house
>repeat for a couple years, you now own a house.
>>
Real estate team admin here. We work with tons of investors.

Look for double lot 2/3 flats that have 2-3 units on each floor or converted single families that have 2-4 units in total in middle class neighborhoods. If you're around a city, look at the suburbs.

Buy a little cheaper, find a buddy contractor willing to do any work a little cheaper, etc, etc.

Friday we sold a $210k 3 flat with 6 units to a regular investor. After the inspection he figured it'd need about $40k in work in total, was in a middle class neighborhood, and he was expecting about $6000 a month in rent.
>>
>>987755
was thinking of doing this acutally. just try to pay off houses one after another , then get rent cash flow mortgage free.

do this 10 times and retire

>>987761
thank you - this method is more work but makes more money if done right.
>>
>>987746
The key would be to find housing that is under a certain cost for square footage versus what your return per square foot is. I have noticed one trend is for housing to be available in the sub 20k range. At that range even if you were to rent out a 1200 sq ft house for 400 a month you would be break even in 4 years and after ten would be doubled on your investment if you didn't find some alternative way to profit. You might have to deal with bad tenants, but then again if you price the rent low enough suddenly you have enough potential tenants where you can be choosy and aggressive with your renters.
>>
>>987761
This may work if you are dealing with a property management company, maybe.

Big issues I see are that the tenants are likely to be lower income and high density tenants. High density tenants are usually motivated by space to price ratios and will bring more people than they state they will and will do more damage because they view their existence as transitory.

At the level they are talking about it will usually require a business license as you are dealing with commercial residential which also may mean you need to pay for onsite management.
>>
>>987761
6k a month in rent sounds a little steep for a flat
>>
>>987786
6 units, 250 a week will get you 6k a month
>>
>>987798
And the entire group of units cost $210k?
>>
>>987798
Can you post a picture of what type of building he was talking about? I've never heard of this building arrangement before. My family rents houses out but they're all single family homes.
>>
>>987746
wait for the housing bubble to burst
>>
>>987804
This. That seems cheap.
>>
>>987808
im in houston - i feel like with oil prices depressed, the prices aren't that inflated; especially in certain areas
>>
>>987828
on the other hand maybe i'll just pay down my current mortgage.

its FMV is 325 (bought at 290); and i have 200k in mortgage, and 100k in hand.
>>
>>987804
>>987807
Not going to post a picture of the exact building but this one is just like it. Typical flat multi units around Chicagoland.

Tenant's income is lower than in the city (typical 1 bed will run $1500-2000 a month). But at $1k a month in rent per unit give or take the building can generate a decent amount of revenue. The trick is to understand that you are halfway to slumlord with these types of properties.

Here's a couple more examples:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3014-Houston-St_Franklin-Park_IL_60131_M75970-18870

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3033-Ruth-St_Franklin-Park_IL_60131_M74356-46821

A good thing is that with properties like this normally each unit is a 2-3 bedroom.
>>
File: LIMG129425338rad932AB.jpg (105KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
LIMG129425338rad932AB.jpg
105KB, 960x720px
>>987904
forgot pic
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.