[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here actually make money by playing/recording music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: steamyray.jpg (92KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
steamyray.jpg
92KB, 1024x576px
Does anyone here actually make money by playing/recording music? I am a gifted guitarist & singer with recording gear and adequate engineering skills. It would be my dream to produce rap beats for a living or just perform regularly for a living but my town has an awful music scene and I only get paid maybe $150 a show max, and there are not enough venues interested to make this lucrative. I have also busked before when I lived in a bigger city (Ft. Collins) and made around $15/hr. I'm just so sick of waiting tables and feel like there's got to be a way to make at least server wages by going all in on music. I know some of you are into crypto to fund dreams like these and would love some advice if there is any hope for me.
>>
>>3401531
>Does anyone actually make money by playing/recording music?

Fixed for you.

Look there's not much money in music these days, session work can get you a paycheck, combined with gigs it's fine, but unless you really love it, or can somehow get famous, you're just grinding hard for little financial return.

Try getting into sound engineering if you want an actual career.
>>
>>3401546
Sound engineers keep those jobs for life though right? I feel like that's an impossible fucking job to attain because they never quit.
>>
File: pat.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
pat.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>3401551
You've got a negative attitude. That's what's stopping you
>>
>>3401551
Some set up their own studios, some go touring, it's the best way if you want to actually be involved with music and not be flat broke.
>>
I used to produce music for local people. Most people want shit for free. I did get some of my tracks on TV shows would get several hundred for that but yeah it's really hard.

You gotta offer a tangible service like mixing/mastering or having a studio.

Or you just have to make really good pop/dance music and blow up that way. Making hip hop is hard because rappers want free beats. Good luck man. I don't really do music as much anymore.
>>
>>3401589
I feel like even if I released really good music I would need to pay some publicist thousands to plug it to the right people or else it will never be discovered organically?
>>
>>3401531
>I am a gifted guitarist & singer with recording gear and adequate engineering skills

What the fuck does gifted mean?. The life of a professional musician isn't glamorous, but you can make a living doing it.

This is what you need:

>Amazing musicianship including: Be able to play by ear easily, great knowledge of theory, great sight reading skills, reading charts, good knowledge of most styles, great technique, know a hefty repertoire, etc.
>Able to play your main instrument better than most, at least 2 others pretty fucking well
>songwriting, composition and arranging all help
>know how to produce, do live sound, record
>Live in a big city/metro area. In the US preferably LA, NYC, Nashville. Others could work too obviously.
>Have a big network of musicians/contacts; the more people you know the more steady work you'll get
>Be professional, good appearance, play well with others, make a good impression, make people like you.
>Be prepared to do a bunch of shit you dont wanna do like teaching and playing music you dont like

you dont actually need any of those. You can be some tard that wins the lottery and ends up playing with someone with actual talent and you get taken along for the ride; or the media can make you blow up if it decides you're the next big thing. But the more you can do of any of those things, the less you rely on chance to make you successful.
>>
Gigged in my 30s for a living. Not a great living, but if you have chops and no ego it can be done. No ego means not playing your own music.
>>
>>3401531
It's gonna be tough breh. Distribution channels are making it harder and harder to do this on your own and even record labels are beginning to take bigger cuts of live performance revenue (used to be where you made most of your money) to shore up gaps. I honestly think the best way to make money in music these days is to go the YouTube route. Make some cool videos on your own, put your music behind it and monetize the clips.
>>
>>3401531
If you want to be known and get popular then there's just one thing you've got to do on stage. Give the audience a show.

Check, Devin townsend, Alestorm, Eminem, Rammstein, etc.

All artists / bands which are known well because of the theatrical show they're giving their audience.
>>
Hey op.

I used to make money in music. I play a few instruments fairly well and i would session for country musicians at $300 a night. On the side i busked a little with some friends or on my own. Im also an engineer in the broadcast sector so i know my tech and i can mix

I quit because quite honestly it is pure faggotry and some of the people i played for are cancerous scum. It takes a lot of ego to remind yourself that youre not a steaming pile of useless shit whilst veryone else who doesnt sit down daily to practice makes it much better than you because they sing covers and strum 3 chords on a guitar without realising their selling point is their tits

The session music raked in some cash because id get a cut from this cancerous payout but it was always the most mundane shit alive. I grew tired of never progressing and stagnating while their ego grew from photoshoots on insta rather than writing a decent song or mastering their instagram

For online music i couldnt say. But quite honestly id say if you can notice the bullshit and the con artists then distance yourself, work out what makes money whilst keeping your integrity and continue to progress your talrnt over your bank balance or fame, because in the end its the most rewarding payout.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.