[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 38

File: 1420166318282.jpg (38KB, 706x720px) Image search: [Google]
1420166318282.jpg
38KB, 706x720px
What do you guys do for a living? Do you actually enjoy it or are you just doing it to get by in life?
>>
File: 13208521.jpg (30KB, 263x320px) Image search: [Google]
13208521.jpg
30KB, 263x320px
>>3393285
This is me with my buddy Satoshi
>>
>>3393285
Cyber security consultant

Never thought I'd say it without being sarcastic, but I'm living the dream man. I'm fucking blessed. Every day is awesome, surely it can only be downhill from here.
>>
>>3393526
How do you become one?
>>
I trade shitcoins for a living
>>
>>3393285

Software dev
>>
>Software Development Manager
>No, I'd rather get back to more coding/building
>>
>>3393538
how long have you done it. do you live with your mom?
>>
>>3393285

I'm CTO. It's nice because I don't work very often and can do what I want with my spare time.
>>
Nothing.
Literally live in my parents basement
>>
File: mathphd[1].jpg (34KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd[1].jpg
34KB, 640x427px
>What do you guys do for a living?
Finished dental school last year.

>Do you actually enjoy it or are you just doing it to get by in life?
Loving it so far. In 2 months i will have a year of working experience.
Considering my low experience i am making almost 4x monthly average (working some extra days).
Just need to work for a year or two so i can leave the shithole where i am in from to a western euro country for big bux.
>>
>>3393581
What sector?
>>
File: IMG_0202.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0202.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Longshoreman. Like the work, like the money, hate the people. Affirmative action in the 90's filled my union with worthless niggers and women.
>>
Lawyer
>>
I'm a lawyer, right now I'm reviewing contracts for a telecom. Job sucks but it pays okay and I'm completely unsupervised. I listen to the radio all day and can walk away from desk whenever. I'm trying to get into tax or antitrust law. Or maybe criminal law, idk I wish I had more direction in my life.
>>
File: 1504547400478.png (247KB, 400x416px) Image search: [Google]
1504547400478.png
247KB, 400x416px
Bot and trade crypto
>>
>>3393285
Software developer. Living the dream here too. My job is easy as fuck and my coworkers think I'm a genius because I'm the only person in my department who knows Python lol. I work for a top 10 advertising firm too.
>>
File: biz.jpg (6KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
biz.jpg
6KB, 229x220px
i am a garment Manufacturer. make more than 6 figures plus my daddy is rich. its hard but, i only need to do it for a couple more years then live on passive income that my father made for me. i have no problem riding coattails.
>>
Auditor
I like it, usually work from home on Friday's but I'm either doing field work at the clients office or prefieldwork/report writing from home; can be hectic if you don't stay organized
>>
File: KCREqaX.jpg (48KB, 550x617px) Image search: [Google]
KCREqaX.jpg
48KB, 550x617px
About 2 months from making a living from my crypto mining operations, with some hydro ops on the side.

God I fucking love 2017
>>
>>3393609

real estate
>>
>>3393535
>Found an interest in hacking at 13, but had a moral compass
>Found vulnerabilities in Government, military and private websites (even found an XSS in Mt. Gox, reported it and gave advice on how to fix it; the CEO personally thanked me in an email. sadfeels)
>Put these on my resume and built a rapport with Government info-sec entities in the process of reporting vulnerabilities legally, ethically and responsibly
>Got offered a job by the executive director of my federal Government's head incident response team
>Put that letter of commendation and job offer on my resume
>Started a degree in cyber forensics and info-sec
>Started an info-sec consulting business during uni to avoid the '5 years experience required' infinite loop
>Got clients / real world experience through my business
>Found an investor, and formed another business doing background checks and fraud investigations across like 4 different continents
>Finished my degree
>Sold my business
>Applied for a dick-tonne of jobs
>Out of around 30 applications I probably got 25 interviews
>Picked the ones I thought were most interesting
>Got hired by a global consulting firm, did a quick stint at their forensic office in my home town and then moved across the country to their headquarters
>I'm 21, life has never been better, I must be one of the luckiest people alive, every day I thank the universe for how things turned out for me

Was hard work though, spent 6 years running a business, working two jobs (day/night, 16 hour days 7 days a week) & doing a double-major full time.

There is no shortage of work. Distinguish yourself, be proactive with demonstrable expertise (i.e. your whitehat vulnerability reports and the proof to go with it).

Learn as much as you can about cyber security and only pursure it if it's your absolute passion. This is because the threat landscape evolves substantially every day, and the only way you'll keep up efficiently is if you love learning about it.

good luck!
>>
>>3393285
Feature film. Fun job but the pay is quite average
>>
>>3393285
I'm a cook. I work during the winter and summer, and take 2 months off in the fall and spring to travel or go home and say hi to my family.

I do enjoy it, most of the time. I don't really care what my job is so long as I'm working with friends, and most of my friends are cooks. So, we just find mountain towns that we wanna live in and move there for a season for work. Finding housing is difficult in Crested Butte (my current location), so I was homeless for most of the summer. Luckily all that meant was that I was camping in BLM lands. Working at resorts gets you a lift pass, and last winter the restaurant was on the mountain, so I snowboarded to and from work. Sometimes I get a few runs in on my break. I smoke tons of weed and listen to music while I make food. Most seasonal workers are single so getting laid isn't difficult lol. It's not for everyone but it's ideal for me.

t. former desktop support technician (sucks)
>>
>>3393573
trading since may, have $50k already. and yes living with parents
>>
>>3393714
>working two jobs (day/night, 16 hour days 7 days a week) & doing a double-major full time.

Nice LARP, but good job nonetheless.
>>
College student studying econ

Trying to be full time musician with my crypto earnings hopefully sustaining my lack of steady income.
>>
>>3393285
I'm a resident, I do enjoy it, I was never good with people but now I have to do with so many of them that I see the types and variations and it's awesome, humans are legit cute.
>>
Machinist/ mechanical assembly tech. Also do some electrical work. Don't fall for the blue collar meme kiddos it pays well enough but its not worth giving up your health for. Now I'm sitting here wondering if i should go to eng. School in my 30s.
>>
Writer. Trading cryptos in the meantime.

lmao if shit dosent work out I'm going infantry
>>
>>3393714
Your story sucks, I expected some trauma that introduces a shift to the dark side with an epic global hack ensuing or something.
>>
>>3393714
I'm teaching myself security stuff, but it's hard. I already know advanced bash scripting, and enough python 3 to make simple scripts. I've really only used it for gui automation. Assembly if pretty damn difficult, but I'm working on it for amd64. All I'm really capable of atm is doxing.

Honestly, I can't see myself working a desk job again. My last one totally ruined it for me. Boss was a crazy meat head on tons of psych meds screaming about trump on a daily basis. I hate authority, and thus, I hate the government (but mostly because it's over reaching). Money isn't a huge deal to me, so long as I can eat and sleep. I got into crypto because the technology is so impressive, turns out everyone else thinks so too (or maybe they just see $$$)
>>
Been a teacher for 5 years, getting pretty repetitive although I like the job. Not sure if it's possible to ever change my profession. On the side I'm a crypto holder.
>>
>>3394010
what/who do you teach?
>>
>>3393526
>>3393645
software engineer as well
no college degree and making six figures at a fun job truly is the dream
>>
I live in the Netherlands and I teach Dutch to my students in high school.
>>
>>3393285
I still don't know what I want to do with my life
Having no purpose is worse than having a purpose you don't like
>>
>>3393825
What are you gonna do with that econ degree if your music career doesn't take off? You're not gonna just be fucking around with crypto, right?
>>
>>3394063
traveling is fulfilling, you should consider seasonal work. It takes like $2000 to get started, but once you're in it you don't spend much. Most of my expenses go toward camping equipment/travel.
>>
>>3393968
If you love the technical side of things (really technical) then get right stuck into it.

Otherwise, there's a huge HUGE demand for governance in information security. It's what matters most to a business. For example; a web server vulnerability, a website which can be defaced and an insecure app all relate to business risks such as
>financial risk
>reputational risk
>regulatory risk
>compliance risk
>etc. etc.

Having the governance structure and framework to support the response to outcomes engendered through such vulnerabilities is what a business is willing to pay big money for. An incident response planning review is more valuable to a business than simply patching existing holes.

If you have the underlying technical knowledge (clearly you do), and would be interested in exploring how it can be applied in a wider business aspect, consider information security management from a broader perspective. You'll need to translate technical findings into plain English and then into business language so the board, CEO and executive directors will understand.

These avenues prevent pigeonholing yourself into pentesting, code reviews, vulnerability assessments and OSINT work (which I happen to love as well, by the way). Just a headsup.

>>3393817
I never attended lectures or tutorials, and am convinced I only passed the mandatory attendance units because I maintained regular contact with co-ordinators and showed enthusiasm. Seriously, I did work at a restaurant during the day and a bottleshop at night, while running my own business with every spare second I could, as well as somehow finding time to study. Wish it was a LARP, full time employment literally feels like a holiday now. That's when I knew my previous lifestyle choices were completely fucking wrong.

>>3393937
Why stoop to third-world-level debauchery. I'm trying to help, not fuck shit up. Plenty of opportunity and easy to make money illegally, so why don't you? Probably some of the same reasons as me
>>
>>3394094
Probably look for something in fintech. That's last resort shit tho lol. If OMG takes off, I probably will never have to worry about money.
>>
File: 1503342069378s.jpg (6KB, 182x250px) Image search: [Google]
1503342069378s.jpg
6KB, 182x250px
>>3393679
whats Garment anon ?
>>
Data analysis but bitchboy version- excel vba stuff & 1% SQL

Doing it to have money to invest in crypto

Hopefully this works

:)
:)
>>
Sous Chef at Wendy's the Gourmet Burger
20$/hr

I am disabled so I can't drive otherwise I'd be a realtor those fuckers make bank for doing jackshit.
>>
>>3394209
I pretty much just like the technical stuff, that's why I got into it. As soon as we started studying standards/compliance in school I got so bored. I just wanna know how stuff works. I don't wanna tell people what to do, or write up incident responce plans, or risk management, or vulnerability assessments. These phrases alone trigger me (though I realize they are necessary). I'd rather it be a hobby :[
>>
How does someone with no degree or qualifications beyond school grades get into a tech job such as system admin or IT support? been looking and they all require experience, also apprenticeships are incredibly difficult to get around here
>>
>>3393285
Bioinformatics Engineer, basically pretending to be expert in mol bio, statistics and programming. Pay is nice and work is cozy AF. There's a clear path forward etc. I like it
>>
>>3393285
I write software. I love it. I probably would be getting paid more if I hated it.
Working on crypto-exchange bot for fun in spare time.
>>
>>3393714
gimme some equifax info. how fucked are we?
>>
>>3394309
>wendy's
>sous chef
>$20/hr
what?...

>>3394344
Find some idiot who thinks you're more valuable because you haven't been conditioned by another company yet. So, just keep looking, I did it.
>>
>>3393285
Also a lawyer. In terms of my profession I've "made it". I'm at a big law firm working at a satellite office which means tons of pay and little work.

I'm astounded by how little I work and how much I get paid. But the work is absolutely atrocious when it happens. Mind numbingly boring shit and paper pushing. So I browse /biz/ all day and do random spurts of 15 mins of work in between shitting and fucking around.

I guess it's okay, but it serves me right for fucking around too much in college and getting shit grades (This is why everyone becomes a lawyer btw).

I make well over 100,000 and I do secretary work. I'm looking for more out of my life in terms of achievement and life improvement etc so I'm hoping crypto and especially OMG will allow me to retire very soon
>>
>>3394329
Good stuff mate. Get into pen-testing, look at obtaining your OSCP, or (even better) your CREST certification. Avoid ECH. Get a CISSP, avoid CISM. Good luck!
>>
>>3394344
I used projects on github as experience.
>>
>>3394455
i've been working on OSCP for years, it's hard. i've never heard of CREST but i'll check it out. Thanks for the tips good sir :]
>>
>>3394059
simple and easy
>>
>>3394411
For the consumer, bretty fucked mang.

What's most likely is that equifax, if you're affected, will have to pay for identity monitoring / fraud protection (that is if they don't become insolvent in the mean time).

What you can do is contact other credit reporting beareus and request a freeze on your account, so that no one can access / change any details. In my country, this is free, and can be implemented for 90 days. Pretty sure it's free in the states as well, but do a little homework.

You should pay particular attention to your credit reports over the next month. If, suddenly; there's a homeloan you don't remember taking out, get the wheels in motion.
>>
>>3393285
Software program manager, work from home.

Crypto is just something else to do when it's slow instead of shitposting and masturbating.
>>
>>3394439
I'm in a similar boat. I work for a company that does IT consulting. I get paid quite well but the truth is I only have about 5-10 hours of actual, real work to do per week. So I spend most of my time goofing off on 4chan and YouTube. On the one hand, it's nice that I get paid so much for doing so little. I can take things easy and have very little work related stress.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm sabotaging myself by not working hard. I'm not practicing and improving my skills enough which I fear will hurt me when the time comes to find another job. I worry that eventually I'll be "found out" that I'm only doing a small amount of real work and will be let go, though I've worked here 5 years and it hasn't happened yet. I also feel like I'm stealing from the company by taking so much for so little work, but if the customers are paying and they're happy, I suppose I can't say they're wrong.

I want to move into a job that actually challenges me and is demanding, something that can give me a sense of achievement. Goofing off on 4chan is fun but gets old after a while and I feel guilty about having squandered so much time. But then again I also don't want to give up such a cushy position or go through the grueling job search process. Not sure what I'll do. I almost secretly hope I'll get laid off to force me to find something more suitable.
>>
teacher
£20k after tax (take home)
proper shit money

14 weeks off a year is nice though.
trying to bot myself rich with crypto - not working =[
>>
File: watsa.jpg (190KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
watsa.jpg
190KB, 700x525px
Quantum computing and augmented reality. The later makes me a Software Engineer officially, but I'm a physics PhD at heart. Right now I write Python bots and blockchain related scripts in my free time.
>>
>>3394477
what can a project even be? just started learning python and it seems to me that every project will have already been done by someone else?
>>
>>3394059
That's pretty sweet.

>>3394622
there are lots of projects you can join, starting your own requires a good idea. So, have some good ideas probably.
>>
I'm going into my final year of university doing electronic and electrical engineering.

Did an internship this summer and already signed a contract for a graduate scheme for a software dev position, will be making £36k a year at 23 years old. Feels good man.
>>
best-selling author
i work from home on my laptop, best gig ever
>>
Editing a big reality show. It's fun and the colleges, lunch and offices are alright. Wage is just decent. It's my first long time editing job (6 months+).
Hoping to get into feature feature films or commercials where the real money are within a year or two. Either that or color grading/motion graphics

only got $5k in crypto. thinking about doubling that and live cheap for a few months
>>
hey, an actual non crypto thread

Just graduated 3 weeks ago in Economics, any advice appreciated

Currently have a position in california gas company lined up for late october start as data analyst for 60k. Dont want this job because a. i am an entj/negotiator type of person and b. Ive done harder work, I know I can try and get up to 70-80k as first job out of college

Im looking at some big firms for potential consultancy side, possibly KPMG/Grantthorton/deloitte(no connections on that one)
I could also do credit side of banking, my grip on finance is dusty though. I want to manage/consult outside of sales.

background:
>head manager of food service, >shift manager at a restaurant
>project management for family constructiom business
>sales and contract work for synthetic turf
>owned and ran a biz writing/essay writing tutor program at multiple universities
most relevant experience
>COO/head of operations and events at a small software tech company of 15ish employees, another 25 under contract work, and 5-10 interns under sales,
>negotiated contracts, investment deals with angel investors and VCs, ran company events that were $10k-90k projects, managed everyone outside of CTO, did everything the CEO should have been doing before I got there

How fucked am I due to being thrown into that small business role while in college? My goal is to find a corp to learn that structure and get my MBA/finance paid for and work my way up into upper management consultancy and eventually C-level where the executive position actually means shit.

I feel my experience is so sporadic compared to most biz admin grads who interned their way out, im kind of lost in where the fuck I am supposed to throw the dart on the board.

60k in loans, I aim to pay off in one whole year so I can wife a girl up.
>>
>>3394522
Holy shit, are you me? The only difference is that I got raped hard in the first half of the year with work and realized that my company/department is extremely dysfunctional. I tried interviewing for a few jobs, but haven't gotten past phone screening stage, which has been tough to deal with. So now I'm trying to get my shit together and learn other skills, but work is in full swing and I'm lazy as fuck so after work I just want to relax. I'm trying to fix that too, I guess it's just a habit that needs to be built up.
>>
im one of those faggots everyone hates because they actually got rich from imaginary money. technically dont do it for a living anymore but yes it was very fun while it lasted.
>>
I just got a degree in biology and can't find a job to save my life so I shitpost on the internet hoping that crypto will one day make it so I don't have to work
>>
>>3393714
wow, impressive shit bro
>>
>>3395344
>degree in bio
>can't get a job

pls tell me this a meme. I thought bio was a good choice. Why can't anyone seem to get a good job in it?
>>
>>3393285
stop asking questions like this and how much you make on 4chan.
All youre going to get are
iam a stem grad making 200k a year
>>
>>3395286
sounds like you're further along than I am, at least you've done some interviews. I keep thinking about it, but then think "why go through all that stress when I've got a good thing going on". Problem is that I don't think this good thing can last much longer. The company I work for is already in trouble. I've been late getting my paycheck for the past three months now. I have to start dipping my toe in the water sooner or later.

Since I don't get enough assignments at work to improve my job skills, I've been doing some online courses on Udemy and others to try and improve my skills lately, but I don't have the discipline to do it longer than an hour or so a day, so progress has been slow. Like you, I am a lazy fuck so I like to relax during off hours. Trouble is my on hours have also become my off hours. Also, I've found those cheap online courses tend to be very basic and cover only the most elementary topics, so I haven't really been able to learn much. I've been thinking about signing up for some more intensive (and expensive) online training to help me build my skills.

I'm not really sure what the right move is in my situation. I like getting paid for doing little work, but I also have to think about my future and what my next career move will be, and what I need to do to get there.
>>
>>3393608
When will you kill a lion? Please timestamp it here when you do it.
>>
>>3394274
clothing anon
>>
I'm 19
-Lost 3k in crypto in the past month (started with $250)
-Run a small crypto private fund
-Shoot and edit music videos
-I do photography a little bit and sell my pictures online
-Tried dropshipping and failed
-Trying to start social media marketing but I don't have enough fiat for the tai Lopez program or the Billy Gene is marketing program
-Mother kicked me out so I sleep at my gf's house during the nights
-I live in Chicago so I can really die anyday unexpectedly
-About to start selling drugs

Just a kid with a billion dollar dream..
And a net worth of $100

Any fraction of bitcoin helps
17cdPRiU48Sa8yQKG6yTRU8VUZAUG68xgU
>>
up until recently when i had a breakdown i was a funded phd student

now i'm unemployed but still not ready to hunt for jobs yet/beg my uni to take me back

before that the only job i've ever had (aside from tutoring people for a bit of cash) was working at a tailors which was probably the cosiest job i'll ever have
>>
>>3395344
Have you tried government? CDC or state/local equivalents. You could also do forensic work if you can stomach it. Pharma is where the big money is at though you might have to do grad school.
>>
>>3393285
I sell shirts with custom print. Make $20 per shirt. Shipped 200+ this week. Was a good week
>>
>>3393285
Doing a PhD in applied math. I procrastinate a lot, but I like the work (when I actually bring myself to do it). I don't know what to do afterwards. I'm think of retiring early to some low cost country.
>>
>>3395601
Are you the nigger outside of every concert venue?
>>
>>3393285

Medical device sales.... Really do enjoy it. I get to shitpost here, trade crypto, eat free lunch and make bank.
>>
>>3393285
Web Developer here. I do sites for Dentists.

I really enjoy my job because I get to create something and I'm good at it.

It can be a little repetitive at times, but I continue to learn something new every day so that keeps it interesting.

Pretty good other than the constant feeling that I will be self employed on Crypto one day and that I can't stand working for someone.
>>
>Software tester
I just want to fucking retire early
>>
File: 1504791515776.jpg (30KB, 600x320px) Image search: [Google]
1504791515776.jpg
30KB, 600x320px
lower enlisted member of the US air force
i fix plumbing on military bases its shitty work sometimes but the hours are comfy
>>
>>3395620
That is chump work. They sell shirts for about 15 per, that's about 5-10$ profit margin. of course they are likely moving more volume but you won't see a young neet selling shit outside a concert, would probably get robbed.
>>
>>3395438
If you're still in school you should absolutely work on finding some kind of research assistant work with your professors. I mean there's probably like a dozen openings between upwards of a thousand students vying for the positions, but hey whatever
>>
>>3394309
>realtor
It's difficult to get into this profession because you have so many middle-aged housewives becoming one because they think the same thing as you.
There is an over-saturation of the profession, it's highly regulated, requires education and state/national testing, and you have to be an affiliate broker for a while before you can even apply to be a "realtor".
The top real-estate agents do very well, but that is a small percentage compared to the number of people starving.
I was looking at a property the other day, and the agent was driving a beat up piece of shit Honda and looked like she was having a rough time. She practically sucked my dick to get me to buy the property. (She was a disgusting hag unfortunately).
>>
>>3394344
If you can get in the door, and convince some retard in HR that you're worth a damn, then you're golden.
However, you're competing with thousands of other applicants, and they will more than likely turn you down.
Even if you know someone in the company it has become increasingly difficult to get a job in the corporate world because of "muh nepotism" etc.
>>
>>3394439
>(This is why everyone becomes a lawyer btw).
How the hell did you get into law school if you dicked around in college? Slam the LSAT?
>>
Work in Client Management for a Sellside Brokerage/Research provider

Best bit about it is reading the work of our Analysts as we are widely known as the best research provider on Asian equities. Also pretty interesting being involved in Mifid II negotiations.

Currently studying for the CFA as I hope to move towards an Analyst/Fund Manger role in the future.
>>
>>3395682
>you have so many middle-aged housewives becoming one

fucking hell this is true.
>>
>>3394838
>i am an entj/negotiator
No one gives a shit about your little reddit personality tests.
Do the fucking job, and shut the fuck up.
>>
File: generac.jpg (48KB, 504x351px) Image search: [Google]
generac.jpg
48KB, 504x351px
>>3393853
>not worth health
this. everything I work with can and will hurt you even when properly used. a typical installation for pic related involves trenching, use of a gantry for fuel tanks and the machines themselves, getting in and out of confined spaces, that's not even considering the electrical work (if you're replacing someone else's work this is a way bigger hassle).
don't even get me started on HVAC
>>
>>3393285

Hey there, /biz/. Looks like I might need to change careers soon due to circumstances out of my control. Anybody know any decent paying jobs that are in demand right now?

I don't give a shit if it's trade work, hard labor, whatever. I can grab some technical certifications if I need to real quick. I live in the Houston area so I have a lot of refineries and chemical plants nearby, too. What are your suggestions? Electrician? Welding? Pipe-fitting?

Not looking to get rich. Just looking for a job that pays OKAY and won't disappear like a fart in the wind.
>>
Powder coating truck parts. It's pretty dull
>>
>>3395438
because it's a meme
Statistically, most people who study Biology are trying for a higher degree as well.
I wouldn't hire a Biology student, fuck science fags.
>>
>>3395762
what role are you leaving? nationwide we have a major shortage of certified HVAC installers, I know this for certain. most of the decent ones in the northeast will eventually leave to your neck of the woods in fact because of the constant demand in the south in general.
>>
>>3395762
Get certified in EMS and hazardous waste response. 6 figure job to stitch up rough necks and drive them to the hospital when they lose a finger.

Otherwise wastewater management is a pretty great job and most places will pay for you to get your certs.
>>
i have a net worth of ~£70000 from trading crypto having started with £2000 that i inherited. I work 2 shitty jobs for the sole reason to garner more fiat to shove into my shitcoin portfolio in some vane attempt to be better than everyone else in some way.

also studying theoretical physics in one of top universities in the world (uk), with a gpa im very, very happy with. got good stuff lined up for me in future.

i get my degree soon, but other than that im just a bit of a dumb kid with £70k in the bank (not even in the bank lol). reading some of the responses in this thread make me wish that I was on top of my game more, i cant really imagine starting my own business or anything hyper productive like that.
>>
>>3395852

Damn, was certified in EMS years ago when I was in the military. Pretty sure my cert expired this year, too. Don't want to go through all that training again. I think it's like 6 months.
>>
I'm a creative producer and now Kush Cowboy. Work is simple but at times tedious. Had to spend some time really finding peace in the isolation that comes from living in the middle of nowhere but I live in a mansion with all expenses paid and make enough money where my only concern is jumping into the next level. I've started a dropahipping site and play around with 500 in crypto while I still learn. Dropped out of finance degree at top 25 school and feel like I neglected a part of me that had a lot of potential to thrive In that environment. But I make amazing money for being 21, will without a doubt make more money in upcoming years and an only discouraged by the time and sacrifice this has taken. I went from living in downtown and la with a perfect girl and creative opportunities everywhere to working by myself as a young kid in the middle of a lot of money and politics. The owner visits me on a fucking helicopter
>>
>>3393622
>Not getting into crypto law before it explodes into normie land
>>
>>3395765

Is it fairly easy for a retard like me? I'm not that mechanical but a shop near me is hiring powdercoaters and I need a job quick.
>>
File: my office.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
my office.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>3393285
i'm an auto diagnostician/electrician and i do a lot of aftermarket installs. i love my job more than any other single thing, and would continue doing what i do now for maybe 4 days out of the week if i won the lottery
>>
Sound designer for games.

Started my own business with a partner doing post production sound and music for film, adverts, games etc.

Just got back home after finishing my degree to look after mum who is ill, whilst simultaneously applying for junior game sound roles. The freelance work through my business is super fun but the industry is rich with people like me trying to break in. Gonna keep my head down for the next year and work on myself day and night until I hopefully catch a break!
>>
Accounting. Work is mind-numbing but you get to look at money all day (well, not physical money). Lots of jobs, can move anywhere I want, lots of subcategories of work, many jobs are flexible. Seasonal, part time, etc. It's not bad.

>>3394708

>tfw can't get an agent to take me on

Fuck man. Galls me some of the shit that gets published and I can't con some catlady into shilling my shit to a publisher.
>>
File: feel moon.png (510KB, 1014x764px) Image search: [Google]
feel moon.png
510KB, 1014x764px
>starting pharmacy technician in a big city
>below minimum wage after taxes
>mid 20s, living alone, no family (mom died a year ago of cancer, quit school to take care of her full time before)

the pharmacy was the only job i was offered after looking for half a year, so i took it.

i still have no idea what to do with my life and seeing younger people who do and are successful hurts and discourages me even further. i spend a lot of time looking for careers online but i can't make a decision. my strengths and talents will not make me money, because the only thing that i'm pretty good at is counseling and playing bass. don't have money for fucking school and i'm not living in debt.

started with crypto couple months ago, all in ($1k) on OMG, hoping it'll be my ticket to finally buying my own shitty car and driving away from here.

1LRXZkD4427dPAF4zfKRi6XQtBVxXQ4rq2

0x1b9dbf148baca6eceff93316904611f56e66e0da

at least it's friday, so that's something.
>>
>>3395552
sent $500k m8
>>
File: 391f48be73.png (238KB, 611x653px) Image search: [Google]
391f48be73.png
238KB, 611x653px
CG artist, got a comfy, challenging job working as a generalist for a really cool AR/VR startup, even though I make more money off of freelance and independent projects on the side.
I just wanted to have people to socialize with and learn from, as well as fix my sleep schedule, so getting a dayjob was a good decision - sitting alone in my house for weeks on end wasn't healthy.

Getting into crypto so I can get rid of all the excess money I have now, though. :^]
>>
>>3396493
>locking your money into a volatile Ponzi scheme that alerts the IRS and other agencies
>>
I need you to tell me if that's a good strategy for life:
>Currently 18 going for final year in school 15 sept
>Go to Glassgow, Scotland to study web development (for free, amerifags)
>Be free (only working) for a year or two
>Go to study finance somewhere just because I know I will get depressed from doing the same thing everyday by then and I'm really into finance (accounting to be exact) but I went for coding first because it will be easy for me to land a job
>kms after since I'm bored of everything by this point
>>
>>3396508
the fuck did I reply to, that was supposed to be a new thread
>>
>>3396508
Learn to be more concise with your writing, you make me want to kms
>>
>>3396526
do it
>>
>>3396493

Curious, do you have in house sound guys? I've been creating sound design pieces in ambisonics and implementing it in VR videos/games, just wondered if the roles are out there in your experience
>>
File: tumblr_ogfml0Vn3s1ql31zxo2_1280.gif (533KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ogfml0Vn3s1ql31zxo2_1280.gif
533KB, 640x360px
>>3396505
Gosh, no need to be so hostile. It's all just good fun, having something to putz with. I'm not puttin' in more than I'm willing to lose - and crypto is all the rage in my country these days, I wanted to see what all the fuzz was about.
>>
>>3396543
haha good one my edgy friend
Enjoy your mediocre, shit life in Scotland.
>>
>>3396546
>listening to voices in the open market
Good luck.
>>
>>3396562
I haven't left my home in about 2 months except for food so I don't think it'll be that bad
>>
>>3396545
I'm not on top of that, but I believe we have a small group of freelancers that we hire in when we need them. We do not have enough need for sound design to require inhouse sound people.
>>
>>3396586
Sounds good.
>>
>>3394036
>>3393645
Me too. Im not making 6 figures but Im not living in a high ROI area. I feel like were ahead most of our peers by investing the spare cash into crypto

Would love to become a contractor and work on my own time and just invest to earn play money
>>
>>3396587
Yeah that's understandable, here's hoping I become the freelance go-to for companies like that in the future
>>
Medical intern. Love this shit.
>>
File: 1443176261639.gif (1018KB, 499x374px) Image search: [Google]
1443176261639.gif
1018KB, 499x374px
>>3396626
Best of luck my man! Where are you located, and do you have a portfolio of any kind?
>>
I'm 19 I work at a front desk for my college at the dorms. Since it's work study I can only do 25 hours a week. But Since my scholarship covers everything (even living) I have no expenses except food. I watch movies, research cyrptocurrency and play flash games all shift because literally nothing happens. I get about 500 every two weeks and I dony spend any of it desu, 20% goes to cyrpto. I'm comfy asf rn.
>>
>>3395618
Uruguay is nice if you move to the coast.
Urufag here.
Crypto gains are more than enough to live the neet life here
I'm 32 and I'm already living the dream.
I can't believe it
>>
>>3396702
Thanks mate! I'm on the south coast England right now. Portfolio is an absolute mess at the moment, I have about 4 decent games waiting to go up, so it should have a nice overhaul by the end of the month (https://www.esrever.audio/). Currently learning some middleware and editing my new showreel before getting my CV out there,
>>
About to start PhD in pure maths but self teach myself some machine learning stuff on the side as I want to make the switch into machine learning research after my PhD.

I really enjoyed my masters, so hopefully I'll enjoy the next 3-4 years.
>>3393608 related
>>
>>3396639
Plastic Surgeon here. I love the job, tolerate the patients and despise most of my colleagues. Crypto is just a hobby . But already made 10k so I'm happy with my meme money which I will probably never cash out . I'm going for those 21 btc and I don't even care if they are worth 1 dollar or 1 million worth.
>>
File: 3gpTUne.gif (2MB, 450x254px) Image search: [Google]
3gpTUne.gif
2MB, 450x254px
>>3396798
>https://www.esrever.audio/
Good shit! I bookmarked it, you better deliver on the overhaul. :)

Southern England is nice, my GF's from Devon. I loathed London, though. Not that Oslo is much better.
>>
>>3393876

How many times I've said this as my fall back option. haha
>>
>>3395740
CFA charterholder here. Good luck with the exams anon.

I'm in asset management, pay is decent and work/life balance is alright. But I dream of escaping wageslavery and getting rich off crypto like half of /biz/ seems to do. One of my co-workers is obsessed with crypto and won't shut up about it after discovering it a few weeks ago. Watch out, the normies are coming
>>
File: 1499828404982.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1499828404982.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
>Doing Early college program
> Getting both Hs diploma & associates degree
Leaning on doing biz maybe medicine, what advice does /biz have?
Anything that would be useful to know for both those fields?
>>
It depends if it's large scale or small. We have a new machine with saved programs so I pretty much press in a number depending on the part and it does the rest. Manual painting has a steeper learning curve. Just try and you will master the job within 1 - 2 months. gl!
>>
Software developer. Doing machine learning for an enterprise security company. It's a well paying job, with lots of stock bonus. At home in building my crypto bot
>>
>>3396893
Huh no way! I was in Salcombe with my gf a month ago. I now have a lifetime supply of their Gin.

Appreciate it man :) The grind continues.
>>
>>3393285
21 year old community college student and I've never had a job please send help
>>
>>3396970
What qualifications do you have? CS or SE? Sounds really cool though
>>
>>3396929

lmao don't do "medicine"

Pro tip, don't do anything that requires more than 4 years of post secondary education, unless you're doing it purely because you have a hard on for fucking school.
>>
>>3397037
I went to uni of waterloo for CS. It's technically a math degree tho
>>
>>3397040
Was thinking about nursing, but everyone and I mean everyone is doing some sort of nursing or doctor hahaha.
>>
Last year of Econ undergrad here.
Got some experience with Oracle database development and deployment (SQL etc.).
Unfortunately in a bang average uni due to fucking up when it mattered.

Itching to spend my spare time productively, already in crypto ofc but wanna build towards a good career.
Considering learning more about blockchain tech or more programming languages. Any advice on whether this is a good idea - or any suggestions?
>>
Industrial scale coating is easy as fuck, IF the company have a nice coating box. For every part, there is a program so you just switch between them and let the machine do the work. If an area lacks powder you activate more powderpistols/more powder. Trial and error sorta.
Manual coating has a higher learning curve and you have to pay attention. Try it out man, I didn't have any previous industrial/mechanical skills before I applied and I did fine.
Think I fucked up my first reply. Kinda sleepy.
>>
no one from call center?

t. applying for a call center job, X language major
>>
>>3396100
Forgot to reply, see >>3397342
>>
>>3395344
>>3395438
>>3395794
I work as an American graduate assistant. Today I did more good for society than any of you greedy people will in a lifetime. Want to know something amazing? I can feel it in my HEART.

I started work at 5:00AM today. I was able to perform 10 tissue culture assays, purify three proteins, test 7 pre-clinical drugs, prepare 50L of bacterial media, AND write half of a research grant application today. I find problems in experimental design that paid professionals often miss. Even if it's helping the post-doc who is supposed to know what he's doing, I never hesitate for the good of science.

I get paid $18k/yr, USD. Yeah, laugh all you want, you Canadian jerks. "Muh opportunity cost", big deal. So you make $50k/yr plumbing from 18-30 while I break even with nothing to my name after undergrad loans are considered. WHO FUCKING CARES. Once I graduate, and then finish my post-doc at 35, I'll be able to find a job ANYWHERE IN THE FIELD. Do you know what the median wage is for biotech researchers in the Bay Area? 80-fucking-thousand dollars a year. You'll never have a salary like that, and certainly not living in such a nice area. That's not even considering all the Numeraire I earn.

And the hilarious thing is you guys think it's all about money. The money is only secondary. Do you have any idea what an honor and privilege it is to work in Dr. Blaustein's lab? I'd do it for free if I had to. There is nothing more rewarding than knowing you're playing a part in curing cancer.
>>
>>3397437
You sound like kind of a cunt m8
>>
>>3397437
>says its not about the money
>brags about future salary

ok
>>
File: RaiseBoreProcess.jpg (127KB, 700x546px) Image search: [Google]
RaiseBoreProcess.jpg
127KB, 700x546px
I work underground drilling small holes down then big holes up, i started as a butcher and retail cuck, jumped to this 9 months ago. Great way to over double my yearly income, the work is good slightly repetitive, the politics are fucked and 12 hour says for 2 weeks then nothing for 2 weeks.
>>
>>3397437
Oh wow 80k, I'm on 103k @21; High school drop out.

Way too many college students, no one willing to stop sniffing farts and work hard.
>>
File: 1501775242766.gif (716KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1501775242766.gif
716KB, 512x512px
>>3393714
>>3393544
>>3393581
>>3393619
>>3394439
>>3394501

Tfw you wish it was (at least) 2005 so you can start over and actually apply yourself more.

Only have a hs diploma and a measly $3.6k saved up.

I have no one to blame but myself.
>>
sold weed in may 2016 my junior year pf hs and got arrested in the same county as my high school (less than 100 ft from the county limit too) meaning mandatory expulsion- it didn't matter the opinion of any of my superiors who all liked me or that i was a pretty decent student, was fucked n graduated from an alternative high school in january

have been working at a movie theater since last november, i've "moved up" but it's not like that matters
i have been working like 60 hour weeks, about to start at a comm college with a good transfer program
probably stuck working dead-end fuckjobs or selling weed until something good happens

my life is shit and it's my fault but whatever
i wanna quit weed and join the navy and be a cryptologic tech/paralegal like my grandfather was but i dont know if i'll ever quit and get fit
>tfw was sober after getting arrested for 10 months straight but have smoked daily since my last po meeting in may
>>
>>3397872
Stop thinking about selling drugs you fucking faggot you clearly suck at it and its not worth the risk.
>>
>>3394094
Econ degree here, shit GPA and shit Uni because I fucked around too much in HS and Uni. I managed to pull my GPA up to >3, by getting straight A's in my last year and a half of uni. I have the intelligence and test scores (SAT, etc), but only a little bit of experience and skills. Where can I begin in order to be rich? How do I start? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks /bix/
>>
>>3393876
You're a writer and you can't even spell 'doesn't'? Skip the bullshit and join the infantry now.
>>
>>3397961
To clarify; I graduated already. For the moment, I have a shitty retail job because my school wouldn't release my diploma until recently. I never bothered to apply for other jobs because of this and the fact that I think my lack of experience and poor GPA would prevent me from getting any interviews.
>>
>>3397907
>>3397907
So it's 100% the better choicce to just try and quit rn? I am out of weed, earlier today I was smoking some dab that had fallen into the carpet so I'm pretty much out unless I start smashing glass. Get rid of all my weed shit and go sober? Idk if I can

To clarify I am not a fuck up. I am pretty confident I will be successful but I feel like having a net worth under $50mil by the time I'm 50 is failing a lot. I taught myself conversational Spanish after failing out of Spanish 2, I scored perfect on AP exams I didn't study/got high for, people tell me I'm smart and good at art and shit. Not trying to suck my own dick, I'm just saying I have multiple back-up plans. After writing all this I thought about how many thousands weed has costed me both directly and indirectly. I need to man up and drop it til I can actually control myself around it

I have a 1.92 GPA rn which seems like the biggest obstacle as of rn.
>>
>>3393786
how much did you put in initially
>>
>>3398170
Your addiction to weed is making you complacent and unrealistic about your life plans.

Some people can handle weed, some can't. It's just how it is.
>>
I shoot people for cash. Photographer. Or at least used to be. Now I just shoot for pleasure :)
>>
>>3393285
I work in advertising as a Creative Director.
Easy entry level, great pay, having fun at work, got into crypto so I can retire at 35.
>>
Not that anyone is actually interested in this thread topic anyway, but I am Hydrographic Surveyor.

I'm feeling pretty lucky because it was pure chance I became one ;)

Good money, cool work. I'm still no gf kind of dude but I don't care :) Come at me :)
>>
>>3398170
It seems like a majority of your problems stem from this dumb drug. Yes, quit. When you get successful and have stable income pick up again if you want. But anon just play things straight for now.
>>
>>3398170
Try taking 600mg of NAC it will make it easy to quit weed. Trust me I've been in your position.
>>
I'm a Website Maintainer. In other words, I just changes prices and do some data entry on the website. In other other words, I just sit on my ass all day until there's something for me to do, which is never.

I don't get paid much but I mean I hardly ever work when I'm at work. Just shitpost and gamble with crypto and penny stocks. Lots of fun. Very laid back work place. Everyone here is racist and conservative. I can pretty much do whatever I want. Fuck the corporate ladder.
>>
>>3397377

i lasted 2 months in an inbound sales call centre, i literally stopped showing up and the supervisor hadn't even noticed until a week later. He called me and asked "are you still working here?" when i said no, he said "that's ok, i'm doing the same thing next month"
>>
Social service worker in Foster Care. Decent pay... not enough for the state I live in tho
>>
>>3398383
>>3398362
>>3398202
Actually useful advice and NAC does seem beneficial from what it looks like. Do you just take it for the phlegm? Or did you mean literally 100 6mg capsules?
Either way gonna try and just do cold turkey. I don't have the money to spend on weed anymore. Thank you, /biz/
>>
>>3394703

50k is too little!!

i'm 23 too and I'm on 70k GBP (also software). i have mates that also did EE and got straight onto job with > 45k

If you're not in London, move there

negotiate your salary higher!!
>>
>>3393679
Indeed. Riding coattails is the easy way to get rich. Whether it be relatives or mentors. If Warren Buffett didn't suck Graham's dick he'd be a nobody.
>>
>got into average-tier midwest university studying electrical engineering with no prior experience to physics and minimal calc
major fuck up as a freshman
>on academic probation, shit greades, etc
came back 2nd year and worked extremely hard, friends went out on weekends and I stayed in and studied
>always felt like it took me twice as long to do the same tasks as everyone else so I would spend 2.5x time studying
went on to pursuit minors (math, physics, nanotechnology)
completed internships along the way in a couple of different subsections of EE (i.e. software development, electrical infrastructure)
by my senior year i was head and shoulders above my peers in maths and physics (in terms of intuition, actual knowledge and interest), completed undergraduate courses and began filling in gen-eds I'd skipped early on with graduate courses
finally graduate with BS in EE, math minor, physics minior, nanotechnology minor
>no interesting jobs in nanotech and nothing remotely interesting that applies theoretical physics
>apply at some graduate schools and dont get accepted
got hired at an MEP firm doing electrical drawings for buildings
>not remotely challenging or interesting

>the building owner/client is my boss
>the architct is my boss
>my boss is my boss
>the electricians are used to getting shit on by engineers so they see a younger engineer and act like assholes
I make 60k per year and hate almost every day of my life
>>
File: 1503798518772.gif (2MB, 228x170px) Image search: [Google]
1503798518772.gif
2MB, 228x170px
Licensed optician. I went to a job fair, ended up at a bigbox optical place, slogged through 2 years of bullshit working with neurotic women, passed the ABO/NCLE, passed the state practical exam and got my license.

It's not a line of work I dreamt of growing up or anything but it's a damn sight better than flipping burgers. I make pretty decent loot considering I spend half the day shitposting
>>
>>3397378

Thanks for replying. I think I'll walk in there and apply next week.

How much do you make $hr?
>>
>>3398035
Lol I went to a top 50 university, graduted in May, studied econ, and have had like 10 interviews even tho i don't have my diploma cuz I owe money on a parking ticket. Kek they can keep it
>>
>>3398170
Lol this guy
>sucks at selling weed
>Is smart
>thinks 50mil is a failed career
>less than a 2 gpa

>>3398170
>>
File: 1471372149428.jpg (52KB, 450x460px) Image search: [Google]
1471372149428.jpg
52KB, 450x460px
Engineer for P&W.

I test jet engines, it's pretty cool shit.
>>
Structural Engineer marking just shy of 100k after nearly 5 years in. The low pay really bothers me (po' boy by NYC standards).

In a data science masters program and hope to jump ship soon to the tech sector; hopefully quant, finance or crypto related. Anyone in these fields? I see "avg salaries" and they seem low as shit. I chose this degree for money; did I fall for some big data meme?
>>
>>3393622
Are there any crypto specialist lawyers?
>>
>>3393709
Where do you live?
>>
>>3399290

I hate to say it but the whole data science thing has been hyped up. I nearly fell for it.
>>
>>3399290
yes.

Im a data engineer with an Msc in math and only make 90k a year
>>
>>3399438
>>3399430
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuc

How can one be good at coding, math and stats and not be on track to 250k/yr. It's a F'n outrage
>>
I'm a software engineer but just got fired yesterday. Been thinking about leaving anyway, a 9-5 is really not something I'm good at. Want to get into crypto trading with bots full time anyway, so maybe this is my golden opportunity to go for it.
>>
File: 1484196093424.png (168KB, 727x682px) Image search: [Google]
1484196093424.png
168KB, 727x682px
>>3396824
>about to start phd
>wants to research in ml
>plans on phd in maths
why are you doing this to yourself anon
>>
>>3393731
Same, tfw work as an extra in films/tv/TVCs
>>
Used to work at Naughty Dog making video games. I left that company because it is full of SJWs and crunch time was insane 14-17 hours a day 6 days a week.

Currently work as developer for small smartphon app startup. Team is 3 people including myself. I smoke pot all day and program, making more money than i ever have in my life

recently bought a 5 acres of land. Life is good

Except the alcoholism
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-08-05-14h47m09s787.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-08-05-14h47m09s787.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>3393285
Office admin job. Pay is okay, benefits are fine, boss is cool, co-workers are alright, ob can be stressful at times, and we get free bagels every Friday.

Overall not bad. Wish I could say for certain there's a clear career path for me but I don't know where and how. Was thinking about getting into data science but not sure anymore.
>>
Looks like there are a lot of pretty intelligent people here , hmm that is awkward

Me :
Flipping real estate
Crypto
Running a hotel
>>
Software developer for a small insurance software company

it's nice, pretty chill, don't get paid as much as guys on the coasts but I'm making up for it in comfort and investments
>>
I'm a CBRN (chemical, biological, radioactive, nuclear) specialist in the military. I'm still deciding if I want to stay in and collect pension starting at 38, or get out and drive hazmat trucks for like quadruple what I earn now.

I also have like 8k in HODL.
>>
>>3398034
You'd be surprised how writers write when they aren't writing.
>>
I worked at a factory making 12 dollars an hour. I had a chance to buy btc in 2013 but my parents said it would be a waste of money. Im now in the trades making 34$ an hour. I'll be a journeyman next year making 44$ an hour. Idk what to do with the extra money I'm making besides funding alcoholism and shitty relationships. 70+ hour work weeks are draining. What can I do to make a profit other than destroy my body with heavy lifting and dangerous work /biz. I want out of this life guys
>>
>>3393285

Paramedic here checking in
>>
>>3400194
Also i took a half year of community college funded by my factory job in hopes of finding something other than bills and regret waiting for me
>>
File: unknown (1).png (25KB, 621x228px) Image search: [Google]
unknown (1).png
25KB, 621x228px
>>3393285

Working at 2 part time jobs at retail because I am a poorfag.

Just to survive in life. I'm a wannabe developer I like coding but I don't understand much about them (e.g I know types of variables and objects but I dont know pointers. ). I just reverse engineer programs as a hobby, mainly video games. I'm a game admin for a private mmorpg server where I do most of my reverse engineering work. Unfortunatly I do not get paid for doing this but it's my favorite game despite how fucking shitty it is.

Listening to other developers can help you in the long run. I actually got my first retail job by via client side expliot in a test assignment, I was the only one that scored the highest.

Pic related is just one of my codecaves for a particular function for the game.
>>
Online Marketing Consultant - Paid on a performance basis.

Will probably clear $250k this year (outside crypto). Hardly work at all, but when I was learning the biz I worked min wage shit jobs 7 days/wk and would come home and work all night learning and applying various marketing strats.
>>
>>3400244

It isn't hard. Why the fuck are you shitting around with assembly
>>
>>3400268
lol its the only thing im good at
I cant do Java or C++ or php, i suck at stuff like that
>>
>>3399810
What has happened to them? Why SJW bullshit? They made some of the absolute best adventure games starting back in the 90s and haven't ever fucked up even.

What went wrong? How long did you work with them?
>>
>>3400398
>What went wrong?
Not him but
They lost crash and spyro and gave the license to some other company. Thats what went wrong.

Also they lost the source code to all crash and spyro games gg (correct me if im wrong)
>>
>>3400434
Oh man, ok that is a monumental fuckup. Then again, I'm not sure if the two series would have been viable for anything other than HD remakes any longer. In lots of cases after enough time lapses, a series becomes a "legacy" and would best be left to appreciate and age like fine wine. Trying to refresh mostly leads to further fuckups.
>>
>>3400311

Bro they have baby languages like JavaScript now

do some courses, bullshit an interview, and score a low hanging web dev job
>>
>>3394703
You should definitely negotiate your salary higher man, that's like pound in the anus highway robbery. Single major EEs start at 55-60. Hell, I have the 2 year tech degree in the same field and I am making 43k+ ( them sweet OT moneys). I have only been at my job for 15 months and I just turned 24 in July.
>>
>>3400434
Spyro is insomniac games not naughty dog you faggot
>>
>>3394703
>>3400513 (me)
Just noticed that was £36k and not $36k US. Still though, that's low, it's only like $47k US. The company I work for starts at 50-55k for EEs and they are considered low balling, especially for the work load.
>>
>>3400573
>>3400513

The important part about the pound sign is realizing that Europeans don't make anywhere near American engineer salaries
>>
>>3393285
>grocery clerk

no i hate the italians in my city
>>
>>3395510
kek
>>
I have a debilitating social anxiety and I can hardly talk.

Are there any jobs I can do or am I fucked
>>
>>3398568
No just buy 600mg N-Acetyl Cysteine capsules from a supplement store or online.
>>
>>3400672
Depends, do you hate muslims?
>>
>>3393285
tool and die apprentice, yes
>>
>>3400672
get you some xanax
>>
>>3393714
what an autist, you will forever be forgotten. had you actually became a black hat hacker, you could of been hired after being caught, you could have become a legend.

now you are an autistic virgin working for the (((government))).
>>
File: 1499725186079.gif (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1499725186079.gif
33KB, 250x250px
.NET Developer
I make like 80k and live with my parents. I love programming, but the projects I get at work all look like abominations. I'm glad I don't have share in the companies I've worked for because I do not believe in their future. Lots of times I've just done contract work too. Its usually "fix this awful program that pajeet wrote for us". Oil & Gas software is the worst. I have rarely seen a good piece of well tested software at any of the jobs I've worked. The one time I ever worked on well written software was for a startup in Austin, and they weren't profitable and had a stupid business plan. But it's ok. I'm sure I could do this well into my 40s if I wanted, but I'm going to try and save my money and retire at about 38.
>>
i work as a pornstar, on the side i work at a gas station.
>>
>>3400819

.NET stack is so comfy
>>
>>3400835
yes it is i like
so is java/maven
>>
>>3400835
Yeah it is, and that's why I'm ok with working in messy codebases. I don't know how people can tolerate bad code in scripting languages.
>>
File: 1502473987666.png (80KB, 602x500px) Image search: [Google]
1502473987666.png
80KB, 602x500px
>Tier 3 tech support support for customer care for global company supporting android, ios, embedded linux and a bunch of other electronic shit
>SQL shit all day every day
50k a year
I hate it tbqhwy
>>
>>3393622
Maybe consider crypto law....it will be a thing
>>
>>3400594
That sounds pretty shitty considering cost of living vs take home pay and all that.
>>
Android developer, making 120k. I love it desu, my best experience with programming so far (four years into this stuff).

Starting to buy crypto on the side. Also trying to make my own app and work for myself..
>>
>>3393285
aerospace engineer at a gigantic corporation.
my job specifically is so fucking boring, but i probably only do 3 hours of work a day, pay is pretty good tho. As soon as i get a year of experience Ill apply for a civilian aero-eng position for the us navy in another country.
>>
>>3399257
Get your fucking shit together on your pw1100g faggot
>>
>>3400941
not you tho
>>
Author here. I lucked out by self-publishing on Amazon before it became a meme. (Had also been writing for years before that so I had a huge edge against anyone just hopping on the train.) Have amassed a rather large fanbase. Have averaged $250k annually for the past two years, yet don't have to live in an expensive city. (Was living in Asia for the past two years.) Don't have to deal with other people, no bosses, can sleep in whenever I want, work as I choose, can travel any time, and things like high-end PCs are tax writeoffs because I do my own book covers.
>>
Taking a break from school due to mental health and financial issues
Working as a wagecuck at a restaurant right now. Honestly I need something better but I dont know where to look. I'm only getting about $150 a month in profit after bills
>>
gov't contractor software engineer /comfy/ club. working on blockchain stuff in my spare time.

i'm a cute girl so all my accomplishments are multiplied by 1000. it's like playing life on easy mode.
>>
>>3401335

There is no privilege greater than female developer privilege

I want to stick my head in hot tar every time I hear someone talk about the "glass ceiling" for women in IT
>>
File: 1496791324668.png (780KB, 937x912px) Image search: [Google]
1496791324668.png
780KB, 937x912px
>>3393285
Software Engineer working in AI infrastructure in C++

I love it, it's fun, not even a job. I make $160k+/yr
>>
>>3401361
I take advantage of it at every opportunity. It's like being an endangered panda at the zoo.

I feel a little guilty; as you can imagine, a majority of my peers and friends are white males and I do not struggle to stand out like they do. Do your part and call women out on their "glass ceiling" bullshit. I do all the time.
>>
I used to be infantry in the army. Now just chilling out studying at uni. Life is pretty good.

>>3401309
That's cool, what genre are you in?
>>
>>3401342
I'm glad you fessed up, Anon. I'll sub so you can get another meal.
>>
>>3393285
What do you guys do for a living?
Junior Software Dev
Travel kinda sucks for me because its a 2 hour commute until I move closer. But The works ok can be stressful at times but overall is chill most the time. I would prefer to work on my own business but the experience I gain working with senior staff is invaluable.
>>
>>3401420

Go to sleep Jen.
>>
>>3394498
dont these hacker cunts not use your info for a couple years? So that once you let down your guard thats when they fuck you?
>>
>>3401449
that's not my name dave
>>
>>3401494
They'll use it whenever is convenient. You could be unlucky and be the first cunt they pull out of the database, and get pwned.

You could be lucky and have your name near the bottom of the list where no one checks for a while.

You could get super lucky and have no one try anything with your details, ever. But it's likely someone will try.

Generally, the longer you wait to exploit breached credentials; the lower the success rate. The rush will be on to lodge as many fake tax returns, reset as many passwords, hijack as many bank accounts, take out as many fraudulent loans, obtain as much stolen property, open the largest amount of fraudulent bank accounts and obtain the biggest number of fraudulent credit cards as quickly as possible.
>>
>>3393285
chef. its shit
need to quit and trade crypto. job is killing all my gains
>>
>>3397040
Pharmacist here. I'm changing career. I wouldn't do any niche job like medicine because all it takes is a tech change and your knowledge and job is obsolete.

Look up IBM watson
>>
>>3399189
17 usd/h
+2 if it's evening shift and +4 if its the nightshift.
>>
>was a deputy sheriff and then a police officer
>got cucked and lost my job, county wouldn't take me back
>apply to a shitload of places, get a lot of interviews, nothing set in stone yet
>be a jobless faggot for too long
>apply to be an armored car driver which makes sh1t pay
>be depressed
>start this monday
>probably get more depressed
>>
>>3403712
too add, was pretty much cucked from the police department because two guys didn't like me, and i don't have any family in law enforcement and don't have any connections
>>
Any mechanical engineers here, pref. automotive? Currently studying, no internships in my area.
>Is it possible to work remotely?
>>
>>3398654
That really seems like a lot man, are you in London? How much can you put away per month?
The pay in London will definitely be a lot higher but I don't want to live in that multicultural shithole.

As far as I know graduate students in EE are usually making less than 30k. Where did you study?

I'm not worried, the company has a fantastic reputation so if I decide I want to jump the ship for another company I can do that easily I believe.

>>3400573
Yeah you can't really compare UK and US salaries like that man, that's not how it works.
>>
Unemployed atm.

At uni to be a teacher, will be done in a few months.

Between finishing uni this year, I'll get some work as a security guard, and set up an aerial photography business that uses drones - just a budget no-frills type of operation rather than anything complex.

Next year hopefully I'll get a contract for a teacher job, and do some work for my business in the holidays/weekends.
>>
>>3398654
What company do you work for?
£70k as a graduate sounds like a lot if you are just writing software.

Can you give me more info?

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/graduate-engineer-salary-SRCH_KO0,17.htm
>>
>>3396970
Any tutorials for writing a crypto bot you can send my way? Only got experience in MATLAB but I'm willing to learn anything.
>>
>>3393285

Any non-amerifag lawyers here? Nearing the end of my degree, on a scale of 1-10, how difficult is it to secure a solicitor traineeship?
>>
File: 1503295775980.png (67KB, 1456x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1503295775980.png
67KB, 1456x1108px
Doing a degree in Maths desu I have absolutely no idea what I can do with it

I don't even have crypto just here to collect pink wojaks once in a while
>>
>>3403718
Hey man, pick yourself the fuck up and find a fucking way to take what you learn from your next job and past experience, and pivot.

I don't want to hear shit about depression. If you have nobody to talk to, then call up a therapist before it kills you. Learn from your mistakes, and make meaningful connections. The money will come with it.
>>
>>3396330

Get into web development motherfucker.
>>
>>3396824

Why the fuck don't you go straight into an ML PhD?
>>
>>3404042
Yeah, listen man. Don't fall for that trap.. I know you browse /sci/. It's fucking bait man. Unless you're top of your class in mathematics, and you're going for a phd with a masters in something like finance from a top school, then you're going to end up becoming a teacher.

Let me also say that we need more competent math teachers, and they aren't paid nearly enough. However, you need to know what you'll be doing with your degree, man. Don't go into that much debt half-cocked on what you want to do. Go talk to a counselor at your school–most colleges allow students to take a test that plots their strengths, interests, and the potential career fields that would best suit them. I suggest you ask to take one.

If you like math, then you can never go wrong with computer science or engineering.
>>
File: image(1).jpg (84KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
image(1).jpg
84KB, 480x640px
Used to be a chef, worked as one for a year.
Then the restaurant's management liked my determination and attitude so they put me as the health inspector, HR and management due to my Bachelors degree in management.

Gotta tell you, office jobs are like heaven compared to the kitchen.
>>
>>3399290
>>3399430
>>3399438
>>3399521

Woah, I was just discussing this very same topic yesterday.

It seems to me data science is getting hyped up EVERYWHERE by (((them))), as a way to depress wages.

From what I've seen, it's easier and it pays more to be a regular software engineer... Which is where I'm heading!
>>
>>3403741
Yup, just graduated in the UK. It's possible, I'm working from home at the moment doing programming work for some company that followed on from my final year project. I think I'm the exception for mech engineer's however, none of my mates have got work remotely.
>>
>tfw never had a job
>Live with my parents
>Study biomedicine after dropping out of my second year of biotech
>22 years old
>Watch anime, play video games
>Invested a few hundred dollars into crypto
I'm not gonna make it am I?
I'm a slow failure.
>>
>>3404144
What's the average graduate salary for mechanical mate?
>>
>>3404149
ehhhh in the UK engineering pay is pretty shit, you're looking at £25-30 for graduate schemes which most people go into. It's possible to do better though if you have contacts. Wish I did more research before I went in but I didn't have much choice anyway as I flunked my A-levels. My plan is to try and become a chartered engineer and go work abroad.
>>
>>3400194
How did you get into trades? It seems like you can't get an apprenticeship unless you already work somewhere or know someone.
>>
>>3404182
I'm from eastern eu and working remotely could be opportunity to make decent money but im not into programming. I could go CS :(
>>
>>3404214
CS is the way to go if you do want remote work
>>
>>3404102
Maths is the only thing I'm good at and I fucking hate it
>>
>>3395652
Where u stationed @ m8?

Wifms is literal shit btw, hvac is superior
>>
>>3393608
Dentist here too, graduated last year.
Its comfy, I put all my disposable income into cryp
>>
3d lighting and shading td / vfx

Fucking love it.
>>
>>3404182
Yeah that confirmes what I had been told.
I have been offered a graduate scheme for £ 36k when I graduate next year? Should I take it? I'm in EEE.

Some other anon earlier in the thread was saying that he's making 70k and knows people making 45k and got me wondering...
>>
Graduated HS in 2010, went to college for 3 years before I dropped out. Went back in 2015 and graduated last Dec. Worked some in college at some part time stuff.

For a couple months after graduating I did some online jobs but around March I put all my money in ETH at like $15 and have just been going from there.

Last week before all this China shit happened my blockfolio was worth $200k USD (down to like 80k now.) This week fucked me but trust me, it always goes back up and usually to more than what it was previously.
>>
File: 1423682739898.gif (280KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1423682739898.gif
280KB, 400x388px
>>3401071
We're working on it.
>>
>>3404291
£36 sounds good to me

He did mention London so that might have something to do with it but I know no one making that sort of money straight away. However I did go to Brighton uni which is pretty bad as uni's go
>>
>>3404344
Yeah salaries are probably higher in London but the cost of living is as well. 70k sounds a bit too much anyway though.

I will be in Cambridge so a bit more expensive than Glasgow, I go to Strathclyde uni.
>>
jeez i feel so miserable reading this thread.
Lost the loterry of life by being born in eastern europe. My fking wage is like 600euro per month for hard labour.
tried programming , but the shit isnt for me. Is there any programming language that dont need ''IF'' and basic math?
>>
>>3404584
I feel shit but it's because I'm r9k tier but in college.
>>
>>3404608
im also in college, but i havent really learned anything useful there. Feels like just passing the courses for the sake of passing
>>
>>3396970
>Doing machine learning for an enterprise security company
Any examples on what you do?
Im doing my thesis this year, it will be about threat detection using Deep Learning. However, outside of the research field i havent seen any infosec jobs asking for ML
>>
>>3393853

IDK buddy if you are self employed and manage it well it's not bad.

I have my own tile company. Work about 3 days a week and I made around $60k last year.

Better than being in a cubicle 9 to 5.
>>
3d artist paid 45k a year plus bonus depending if the game sells well and the company in general. feels comfy as i can basically go to work with a brazzers t shirt ans sock sandals without anybody caring
>>
for the past 2 years i was a private physio working for a pro tennis player, traveled around the world on tour and made $80k/year

that job ended in July now i'm working in a warehouse for $14/hr wanting to fucking shoot myself every single day

got a job offer through a friend for an oilfield job paying $105k/yr, but goddamn that is soul sucking work.

strongly considering teaching myself the basics of CS then learning Javascript or SQL or something
>>
Ceo @ tech startup
Recently millionaire...in assets at least.
>>
>>3397797
How you do this?
>>
>>3404793
>lighting
you in africa? why are you earning so little?
I do lighting and shading and im making around double to triple that depending on how much i work.
>>
Student working part time in a restaurant.
Fucking sucks
>>
>>3394838

Wtf

I have experience in the same industries as you, food service and synthetic turf, and now I'm looking to get into a development role

Taking any interns?

Current uni student
>>
File: just.jpg (5KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
5KB, 225x224px
>>3393285
retail financial rep at 24 years old

Recently almost landed a job as a logistics manager for a product that is 100% a government monopoly. Literally central economic planning

I almost had the job and everything. They even checked my references and basically told me I had the job

BUT they had to outsource some federal tests I had to do with another department that administers them.

IT TOOK THEM 2 FUCKING MONTHS TO DO IT. AND THEY GAVE THE JOB TO SOMEONE ELSE. FUCKING KILL ME.
>>
Just graduated and off to go teach modern languages at an international school in China for a year. I'm going to try learning as many languages as possible in the next few years and see where that takes me. No idea where the fuck to go from there. I speak three languages fluently (including english), and then four others to varying degrees. Maybe interpreting? But I don't want to do a masters degree. I just wanna be the guy in the office who speaks ten languages and just sits around until someone needs me for anything, and also travels on company credit banging hookers. Am I not simply entitled to that? :(((
>>
https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-CLUB

Moonligjht in progresss
>>
>>3393285
I'll live from my parents untill i can live from future kids
>>
File: IMG_2754.png (398KB, 687x397px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2754.png
398KB, 687x397px
>>3393285
Police officer. I like my job. You can make a decent salary working regular hours or make six figures doing overtime/secondary, and the benefits are outstanding. I'm going to college for free thanks to my job and the GI Bill so I'm studying for a philosophy BA part time as well. This career is the tits
>>
27 year old student 2nd year entrepreneurship BA

worked with nightlife before, tried for 3-4 years becoming a dota 2 pro, chose to quit, to many hours into it, played it over 10 years.

feelsbadman

Now I dont really know what to do. I'm extremely good with people and I have an interest in finance. I speak 4 languages fluently.

avdice /biz/? living at my moms used 1k usd in crypto I dont want a pleb job fucking kill me

I live in Norway
>>
>>3395682
It's not as bad as that. My roommate works as a commercial real estate dealer. So they only touch buildings 2 mill and up and take 3% commission. Half the fuckers in that office only work a few times a year. Only need to close a few 10MM deals for that commission to never work the rest of the year.
>>
>>3405521
LEO? decent salary? every local tier cop ive ever met/heard about online says they make peanuts

the state police usually make pretty decent coin
>>
File: 26203078312_bdae4eeb7d_b.jpg (248KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
26203078312_bdae4eeb7d_b.jpg
248KB, 1024x683px
>>3393285

I drive trucks in the UK. Objectively it's a shit/mediocre job but I will be semi-retired in 5 years while other people suffocate under mortgages.

I have a lot of time to listen to podcasts & educational videos
>>
28 years old
Electrical enigneer

Absolutely love it. Such a rewarding job and I couldn't imagine giving it up. I have a lot of free time at work to manage other online business and such. Highly recommend this career.
>>
>>3405893
Do you work in the US?
>>
>>3405941
Canada
>>
>>3394209
were you able to maintain a social life?
>>
File: IMG_0037.png (117KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0037.png
117KB, 500x500px
If you have a YT, FB, TWIT, INSTA, REDDIT, BTCtalk account with followers and/or authority, send me an e-mail. Picture related.
>>
>>3405578
Why the fuck are you studying entrepreneurship lamo. I meet you fools all the time, they always apply for jobs directly and are always useless.

Or they come up with crap ideas because they don't have any domain specific knowledge. You do it the other way around, you become and expert then make a business.
>>
>>3405990
Yeah, had a wide group of friends and got fucked up with them most days of the week at some point (typically because they were always up and partying / awake and keen to chill at like 2am). But it did suffer though, regular things like going to the beach on a nice arvo I was always working. Or going to the pub for a feed and some drinks was impossible most days.
>>
>>3405893
What kind of online businesses do you run as an EE?
>>
Investment Analyst at a Private REIT

Working in a town of about 150,000 in the midwest. I enjoy the work i do and i'm learning a ton as i'm only 23 but part of me wants to just get up and escape to a big city for a while.
>>
I have the shittiest job in this thread and it fucking sucks. I'm a geriatric nurse working full time for 400€ a month in a first world country. Before that I was a NEET for 4 years.
>>
>>3406096
Plastic injection molding and PCB design
>>
been at a wastewater plant for about 3 years now. Been living at home saving and so I can afford to travel. Been to Tokyo, Hanover, and Liverpool.

Looking for something else now as the only way you can make more is either sales, engineering, or upper management. Also the isolation out there is a double edge sword.

Looking to get into something else, not sure yet. Quitting by January; probably have to go back to school to get into another industry.
>>
>>3405521
nice. police recruits in my town make about 80k starting wage, can go up to 6 figures as sergeant.
>>
>Public accounting
>Staff accountant
>2 years experience
>27
>Tax season is 60+ hour weeks no OT
>Calculated how much money I'm losing on OT pay
This is the reason why I'm changing my career.
>>
>>3393285

Investment banking associate - Oil and Gas M&A

The money is good but it's a lot of stressful work. I may be promoted to vice president next year but I don't know for sure.

I don't mind the hours too much - I get bored and depressed really quickly so the work keeps me sane. I also like advising companies and I'm more protected from the downturn of the oil and gas industry (always going to be buyers and sellers).
>>
File: C-yxEg3UMAQHW4V (1).jpg (61KB, 640x362px) Image search: [Google]
C-yxEg3UMAQHW4V (1).jpg
61KB, 640x362px
I went to college like a good goy, got a shit degree, went into a job with an evil corporation (like, exploits its workers on the regular), had depression so I blamed myself, but grew as a man, realized that Evil truly existed in the world, and quit of my own free will.

For 3 years, I bounced around to odd jobs.

For 3 years, I wondered why I had "failed" at life.

Then I hopped back on my meds... then I got laid off from one of my odd job, which I actually really enjoyed.

I sat around in vapid nothingness, collecting unemployment and applying for jobs I'd never get. I thought I had lost it all.

But those long years honed my desires to a keen edge. Whoever that person was, died. I'm going back to school right now for a degree I love, with mountains of job prospects and even the prospect of starting my own business. It is the hardest I have ever worked for something.

Yes, I got mountains of help, both financially and emotionally from my family and friends. And I'll pay back every last cent within a year of getting a job in my field.
>>
>>3406315
Forgot to mention $59k
>>
File: boat.jpg_1718483346.jpg (54KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
boat.jpg_1718483346.jpg
54KB, 600x340px
>>3404584
At least you're spared from cultural enrichment.
>>
>>3406390
>saying shit like in the starting phase
It fucking doesn't matter how you feel and what you do when you are motivated. Let me give you a pro tip: If you still are able to act and move on when you feel like shit and like giving up, only then you will be on the path to success.
>>
>>3406332
Which firm? I'm a junior at a target school trying to get into IB
>>
>>3406065
I KNOW bro I know. I thought it was going to be a lot more specific. It is a fucking shit tier study.

Most of people that start something have experience from a certain background, a tangible skill.

I'm second year in and I don't know what the fuck to do now. End me.What sector are you in anon?
>>
>>3406472
Yeah. When I was younger, I wasn't able to act and move on. I also had nasty depression.

We're gonna be fine.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (67KB, 784x517px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
67KB, 784x517px
>>3406530

One of pic related.

What target school are you at? Ivy League, Stanford, or a school like Vanderbilt / University of Texas? Have you attended your school's career fair yet?
>>
I did a degree I hated then graduated and worked part time wagecuck jobs for almost 2 years and was too demoralised to do anything productive in my free time. I now work a zero effort public sector job in London with an inflated job title and live on my own. I am still demoralised. I am applying like a madman for graduate positions anywhere and trying to climb out of my everythingstential crisis and do something productive in my free time like learning programming and doing something CV worthy, even if it is pointless.
>>
>>3395471
I'm a stem grad and only make 190k.
Feels bad man
>>
I've been a professional poker player for 9 years. I've made roughly 1.5mil USD in that timeframe. It gets a bit repetitive at times, but I wouldn't trade it for any other job
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.