[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does a cryptocurrency have value? How does that value

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1499658045487.gif (505KB, 1080x1080px)
1499658045487.gif
505KB, 1080x1080px
How does a cryptocurrency have value? How does that value increase or decrease?
>>
Directly proportionate to the amount of terrorism funded/drugs sold
>>
>>3343047
how do stocks have value? how does that value increase or decrease?
>>
>>3343047
Greater Fools and high frequency trading bot pros bid gigging your every move.
>>
>>3343047
ponzi
>>
Through shilling, whales, fud and fake tether pumps
>>
>>3343066
stocks have companies behind them that earn money, and as a stock owner your own part of the company
>>
>>3343066
Stocks have an intrinsic value based on the predicted profitability of the business or entity the stock represents.
>>
Because people are willing to pay for them. The same as any other asset.
>>
>>3343136
other assets mostly have intrinsic uses or government backing, cryptocurrencies are mostly tools of speculation
>>
>>3343136
If people are willing to pay X amount for a crypto, how can the price then crash?
>>
>>3343064

this
>>
>buying into a CIA created ponzi scheme
I seriously hope you guys dont do this
>>
Crypto = FIAT

It has no value.
>>
>>3343920
If it has no value then how does it have value?
>>
>>3343483
>this thread again
What people are willing to pay changes rapidly. This is the kind of shit you can google, go away nocoiner.
>>
>>3343047
Speculation. People expect that bitcoin will become necessary for trade at some point in the future, so they're prepared to buy them now and hodl.

As for the price of an individual coin, the total market cap of all coins is the amount of value "speculators" place on the concept of cryptocurrency. The market cap of each individual coin is based on the percentage chance that its unique feature-set or developer team will cause it to gain ground within the crypto infrastructure as a whole.
>>
>>3343119
there you go
>>
>>3343047
The value (ie what the people in the market will pay) increases or decreases based upon supply and demand. Lots of coins that few people want = low value (people will only buy plentiful stuff that few other people want for a low price). Few coins that lots of people want = high value (people will outbid each other to own it).
The number of coins is the simple part of this equation, since, for BTC at least, they are finite.
The demand will vary depending on intrinsic things like usefulness and novelty, but with a highly speculative market like crypto also ON WHAT OTHERS WILL PAY AND WHETHER YOU CAN MAKE A QUICK BUCK BUYING LOW AND SELLING HIGH. Hence the huge and sudden rises and falls that you don't tend to see in markets that are regulated and have more tangible value to their components.
As to why value is afforded to an intangible asset like crypto, well, that's more to do with the nature of trade and what we use as money. Currency and money differ, in that money can be a store of wealth. Wealth can only be stored in something that has scarcity--printable paper money doesn't. This is one of the reasons why nowadays we view BTC more like digital gold. But like gold, it's only valuable because we decide it has the characterstics that we require of money, and we all decide to use it to store wealth of trade.
People also value it for its decentralised nature. They see that the current 'money' (actually currency) is part of a failed system, and they see this new system as being the future. I, myself, invest in BTC and ETH for gains, but also because I believe in and support them (naive as that may be).
>>
>>3343113
>>3343119
What if the company doesn't pay a dividend and never will? How does a share in that company have value when owning a share results in not owning any part of the organization or the profits thereof?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.