[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's assume I know a big line of services which are going

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170902-095011.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170902-095011.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Let's assume I know a big line of services which are going to lose most of their value over the next 5 years.
Can someone tldr how exactly does the shorting of stocks of the affected companies work?

I want to know the basics of such procedure.

Thanks.
>>
>>3325133
who is that fluid druid?
>>
>>3325133
I'm a beginner at this too. From what I've gathered, you put up X amount of collateral, then you sell SOMEONE ELSE'S stocks that they've allowed to be used for this purpose.
You sell their stock and when the price drops lower you buy the stock back plus extra, you give them their stock back plus X% interest or whatever and you get to keep the extra stock that you were able to buy at the cheaper price.

Again I'm a complete noob at shorting myself so I could be way off the mark.
>>
>>3325168
but if the price of the stock doesn't go down allowing you to buy it more cheaply, and instead goes up, then you lose your X collateral.
>>
>>3325172
So can you not make long term shorts because the fluctuation will erase the collateral? Or will you regain it if the market drops after going up?
>>
>>3325216
if it fluctuates the wrong way enough to max out your collateral u get liquidated by the broker automatically selling your colalteral to make sure the loaner doesnt lose their money
even if you "know" the price is gonna drop off a cliff after the fluctuation, the broker doesnt care and wont risk the loaner's stocks

(turns out crypto is good for some things, eg learning how shorting works)
>>
>>3325172
it depends on how much collateral/leverage you have

The more leveraged you are the thinner your margin is

look up 'margin calls' for examples of what happens
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.