[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Let's say theoretically I made 500k in crypto, currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1266.jpg (734KB, 780x2925px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1266.jpg
734KB, 780x2925px
Let's say theoretically I made 500k in crypto, currently held in Coinbase's USD account

Would someone who has done this need to pay taxes to the US government? What if it was still in BTC?
>>
BTC being turned into USD would be subject to capital gains tax
hold it for longer than a year in BTC before turning it into USD and the capital gains tax is less severe
short term capital gains tax is just brutal
>>
>>3315595
you'd better move to poland or something and renounce your citizenship because you just lost like 40% of that if you didn't hold it for over 1 year. Your only other option would be to lie and cover it up but they will probably take the time to find out if it's for over $100,000. Be happy that you made $300,000. You can go all of the way in that scenario and have an offshore account and bring the money back into the USA via a loan from that off-shore account for a house or something and pay no tax.

btw poland with $500,000 is basically like living in the USA with $1,750,000 and you'd be set up for life there with no monetary problems forever. there is also mexico and argentina and other such places and have even more money.

don't do this it's illegal and fraudulent and you WILL be punished and etc etc i don't condone it this was satire and not meant to be taken seriously etc.
>>
>>3315595
You need to give more information like are you in the US?
>>
>>3315595
From what I've read $20,000 is the point at which the IRS/SEC starts investigating withdrawals. If you want to keep a low profile then spread $19,999 across multiple exchanges. Also connect a shift debit card to your coinbase account to make your daily purchases:
>www.shiftpayments.com/card
>>
>>3315817
I was talking with a guy that got a lot of money in inheritance and put it into btc. They live in Mexico but they're legally a US citizen. I asked how they pulled it off but they only told me that they would rent a car and take off the license plate, and payed to stay at a resort. Idk how they avoided the visa issue after being gone more than a few months
>>
>>3315817
except you can't just start living in Poland as a foreigner (in this case a US citizen) you will max get a 3 month visa
>>
>>3316082
You idiot, that doesn't miraculously exclude you from the obligation to pay taxes. Also the IRS aren't all full of idiots. If you make repeated withdrawals just below the threshold for reporting that's also suspicious and will get you investigated- it's called "structuring".

If you have $500k in crypto and just hold it, you owe no taxes. It's the same for stocks or anything. If you sell it, or purchase something with it, the gain is taxable.
>>
>>3316132
he exchanged for USD, it's taxable.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.