[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm watching this and it's meh, but I'm having

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Netflix_Ozark.jpg (16KB, 600x302px) Image search: [Google]
Netflix_Ozark.jpg
16KB, 600x302px
So I'm watching this and it's meh, but I'm having a really hard time understanding the premise. The guy is trying to launder a bunch of drug money. A cartel guy gives him $8M and tells him to "wash" it.

So he just goes out and spends all of it. Like he builds a church, half way, and then halts construction. His wife buys a big half-built house and they intentionally overpay all the construction costs. The scene I just watched, these were his exact words:

"We're getting carpet by Tuesday... that's 16000 square feet at 69 cents a foot, billed as 32000 square feet at $8.75 a foot. That's $270000 cleaned."

Is this just poor writing or am I not understanding the concept? How does just throwing money away "wash" it?
>>
my take is that marty is basically cooking the books for all the construction costs, and pays in cash, so somehow he's exchanging the cartels dirty money and getting clean money back via the profits from the businesses.

not sure how he's getting anything back in return for construction on the church and house. i just glossed over those details and chocked it up to bad writing in a fictional world. it's all just entertainment dude don't over think it.

just get blackpilled by the fact that he got cucked big time.
>>
>>3308512
you lost me at watching Ozark
>>
>>3308568
>it's all just entertainment dude don't over think it
Yeah, this is exactly what I keep saying every time it doesn't make any sense... but the show got me generally interested in money laundering
>>
why is the overworked guy at the grocery store gonna care how straight my dollar bill looks?
>>
>>3308587
>Buy BTC IRL for cash in NYC.
>Find a place with no cameras, ex: hotel room
>Exchange the BTC for USD.
>Trade the BTC over to some 'secure anon' coin
>Trade it back to BTC
>WOW HOLY SHIT I MADE SO MUCH MONEY INVESTING !!!!!!!
>Pay Taxes under fake name
>Give fakename and fake account to Cartel
>profit??????????
>>
>>3308568
I like my shows to be believable, this is probably why I get disappointing a lot.
>>
>>3308512
Presumably the cartel own the construction business and he sends the money through thwm to clean it.

>Make money selling drugs
>Run a nail salon, dry cleaners, or fast food restaurant
>"Look at all this business I'm doing. I know it doesn't look busy, but look at all these 'sales' I'm making!"
>>
>>3308512
If the cartel and the contractors are in cahoots, the money which the government is more likely to inspect is now sourced from a "clean" company.

The government can not trace all sources of money, but the person who converts dirty to clean money is the weakest link in this chain, which means that if the government audits the construction company, this entity would be very interesting and they would investigate links between this person and the money's source. Having an alibi for this person would be key.

The reason this works is that the government has a limited amount of resources to investigate money laundering causes, and they tend to chase low-hanging fruit. This is why surveillance of the Internet and bank monitoring has increased significantly in recent years.
>>
>>3308752
>>3308772
AAAAAAAAAAAAH
Yes, this makes much more sense. They even mentioned in the first episode that the cartel owns a bunch of "shell" companies.

You two just made this show so much better.
>>
>>3308575
its fucking good
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.