[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Last December I became interested in finance and picked up the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_20170830-165143.png (71KB, 1362x618px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170830-165143.png
71KB, 1362x618px
Last December I became interested in finance and picked up the book Millionaire Teacher. The most important thing I got out of it was "If you want to become wealthy without gambling, save a lot and start saving early." I had some leftover money at the time (otherwise prone to living month to month, student), so I found an Index Fund that mimics the American market, basically the closest thing you can get to buying S&P 500 if you're a Swede. I bought 6000 SEK (about $750) worth, and it has been steadily declining ever since. I understand that there will always be ups and downs and that a few months don't matter, I'll probably come out ahead after multiple years. But I'm still a bit worried, and curious why things are looking so bad. I asked the customer service of the company that owns the index fund, and they think that part of it can be that the SEK (Swedish currency) is becoming more expensive and the USD is becoming cheaper, which would hurt me because I invest SEK, but the actual assets I own are valued in USD.

Other than that, the only explanation I can see is that America is going pretty badly this year. Is there any truth to that? Most Swedes I ask think so, but let's just say that their opinions are not exactly nuanced, it's mostly just "hurr durr Trump ruins country".
>>
File: 1502584767181.jpg (23KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1502584767181.jpg
23KB, 258x245px
buy my bags
>>
sent ;)
>>
Confused by the replies so far. Completely clueless about /biz/ culture. Be gentle.
>>
>>3268563
The US market is having a huge bull run this year and is doing great. Don't you have a Nordic market or something you can invest into so you don't have to deal with currency exchange rates?
>>
>>3268563
This is a crypto only board

But things are just getting towards the end of their economic cycle, and with this whole North Korea war mongering shit, it doesn't lend stability to the countries that will be involved. Obviously you cucks in Sweden won't do anything if they nuke someone, so it's on us.

But I wouldn't invest into the s&p at it's all time high. You can just take the naive investments approach of always buy the s&p or something with your savings no matter where it's at, but that's no fun. I would recommend looking elsewhere

Honestly maybe look into crypto. There are a lot of coins that aren't pure gambling and luck
>>
Well, I'm not swedish but if you invested around september, it seems that sek/$ rate went up about 25%. Which mean what the guy told you is true: you got fucked by îvesting in dollars when your national money's going strong.

As for US stock market, I don't closely follow S&P 500 but last months have been pretty bullish iirc.
>>
>>3268664
(Went up 25% since then)*
>>
File: Screenshot_20170830-171548.png (182KB, 1341x1474px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170830-171548.png
182KB, 1341x1474px
>>3268622
We do, I just assumed it's smarter to invest in the country with the international language and all the large companies that actually matter. But the exchange rate thing does seem to be a pain. The same company that hosts this index fund has one for just the Swedish market, and it has been going well this year unlike mine, but it's far inferior to the American one on a 10 year scale. I'll post both of the graphs for comparison, the American one in this post and the Swedish one in the next one.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170830-171622.png (200KB, 1333x1718px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170830-171622.png
200KB, 1333x1718px
>>3268706
Second chart here.
>>
>>3268563
Yeah, it has nothing to do with our economy. It is with currency value. Don't worry. The US is moving forward this year, more jobs, lower taxes "soon", less imports, etc.
>>
>>3268640
>s&p at all time high
Confirmed that you have no idea what your talking about

>>3268563
OP, in the long run, you'll always win with a market basket of stocks. In your case, at some point you should consider switching to a Swedish or EUR basket, as you will likely need krona or euros in your retirement.
>>
>>3268563
>Real Estate market with negative interest rates
>Buys a foreign index fund instead
Anon did the book also have a section about due diligence?
>>
>>3268748
>only having enough capital to put into one house
Enjoy having an undiversified portfolio moron
>>
>>3268706
>>3268724
Let me get this straight...
You stuck 750USD into an asset that will, best case scenario, increase 150% over 10 years?
So you'll withdraw it in 10 years and have 1875USD, a profit of 1125USD?
Please tell me I'm wrong
>>
>>3268733
I honestly doubt I'm going to retire in Sweden. It's a nice enough place and it's my home, but it's really fucking cold half the year, if I ever become financially independent, you'll find me a lot closer to the equator.

This company that whose fund I'm investing in right now does seem reliable, so I guess I'll stick with them. I'm no economist but I'm guessing a mix of the Sweden, Europe and China indexes would be a good idea.

Also, thanks for humoring me even though the board is apparently for crypto only, my bad.
>>
>>3268795
That's kind of the deal with index investing. You treat it as a savings account, making small but steady long term gains, and once reach high enough numbers, those 15%/year become an amount that you can live off of.

That's the idea, anyway. I've only done it for a few months so I don't have anything to show for it. But if the chart is trustworthy, I'll hopefully dig myself out of this hole eventually.
>>
>>3268767
>Not buying a REIT
Think before you post friendo :^)
>>
>>3268563
US markets have been booming for more than a year. You must have got in at the top and are riding a temporary correction.

On the other hand, the markets assumed that Trump, however big a crook he was, would be good for business, and he has turned out to be ineffectual and impotent, so there may be some loss of optimism hitting.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.