[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a business advantage to people thinking you have class?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: preppy-handbook.jpg (45KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
preppy-handbook.jpg
45KB, 336x500px
Is there a business advantage to people thinking you have class?

I mean, thinking that you come from a family that has had money and good education for a long time, as opposed to just being rich at the moment?
>>
>>3080244
Going to 4chan for advice about class in business is like going to the gym to use a vending machine or to Funnyjunk to get chemotherapy.
>>
>>3080244
Just tell everyone youre a Kennedy.
Saves you the money for a gun and a bullet to kys...
>>
>>3080536
Yeah, but anons are more likely to tell the raw truth, which is not a very classy thing to do.

Side note: the word classy is not classy. It's too glib.
>>
>>3080575
Yes. You got it right.
But pretending to have class does nothing to you. I've seen people wearing expensive clothing and boasting about their heritage. They are looked at as weirdos.. fuckin' weird...

The only thing boosting your opportunities without any qualification are connections.

Now, having good connections can hardly backfire. But it is not really a great thing. You'll loose a lot of privacy. Your children probably will benefit the most from it - and they will hate it I swear.
You can't move to another place because the only thing you got are your connections. Also you have to fight constantly and people will certainly notice your lack of qualification. You'll turn into a shmuck.

Good luck
>>
>>3080656
As I see it, people like to talk to people who are similar to themselves.

I'm not really thinking of putting up a front so much as changing my perspective. It's not exactly a big personal sacrifice to train myself to prefer dappled apples to shiny red apples, or to prefer old brown leather to shiny black leather, to overcome my stupid craving for a black suit instead of a charcoal suit, etc.

It took a while to achieve this, because like most proles I thought black was a cool color, and that brown is for farmers.

Ironically, by trying hard, I stopped being tryhard. Some zen shit right there.
>>
File: dining.jpg (277KB, 900x1570px) Image search: [Google]
dining.jpg
277KB, 900x1570px
>>3080244
Class isn't really important. Just use professional and formal manners when best and non-formal practices when needed. Don't make people think your rich and successful when you aren't yet. If you are don't boast (depending on field). Just be aware.
>>
>>3080244
In America it's more advantageous to say you came from nothing. America hardly even has enough history to have class in the same way Europe does anyway. Everyone here is new money for the most part. Unless you're selling Martha's Vineyard inspired fashion it's not something you'll get points for trying to signal. To anyone who comes from relatively old money it will make them dislike you immensely. Just be yourself and try to work on being a good human being/self actualization or whatever you like.
>>
>>3081345
What about successfully internalizing instead of trying to signal?
I think my perspective on this is pretty rare.

Basically, I don't have much self-awareness. I will fit myself into any mold that is convenient, all while other people would rather have a face transplant than change what kind of alcohol they "like," or what kind of music they "like." I consider most of life to be pretty arbitrary. Most things are interchangeable. I'd like to change things in such a way that I get respect.

Example: pour guest wine. Middle class guest gets embarrassed and says he doesn't know much about wine. Neither did I till a year ago, when I researched the issue, internalised the knowledge, and lost all embarrassment or pretension about wine. It's just a drink, avoid the sweet stuff, pretend to prefer Bordeaux to anything else, and don't serve red with seafood. That's pretty much it. Yet getting over that tiny hillock gives me a permanent advantage over the guy who gets slightly anxious because he "doesn't know much about wine," as if it was a pop quiz.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.