[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>graduate college >get programmer job >manager doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

>graduate college
>get programmer job
>manager doesn't know how to run a tech project but is very opinionated
>terrible design choices
>gaining no useful experience, BUT basically don't have to do shit
>2hrs meetings per day, after that maybe 1hr work
>can work remotely whenever (have been working remotely for multiple weeks from another state with no issue)
>70k/yr

How long should I stay at this job? I've been here a year, but I'm worried I'm sabotaging my career by not learning anything
>>
Why not get a second job?
>>
>>3074121
No debt, spending freely and saving 30k/yr... Not particularly motivated to work when I feel like I already have more money than health/social life/spiritual health
>>
>>3073736
>I'm worried I'm sabotaging my career by not learning anything

You are.
>>
my life except 70k/yr
all other projects are the same, no reason to go anywhere
>>
>>3074276
so, what you actually do all day? just chatting and surfing around the internet? at least that manager gave you some work load right?
>>
>>3074343
Yeah I have some work to do. I used to be motivated to go above and beyond, but I feel like my coworkers started trying to offload work to me and manipulate me to do it fasters by talking badly to my boss. Now I just tell them to fuck off and do enough and do enough of my own work to not get yelled at. my performance reviews are exactly the same.
When in office i just socialize with coworkers and go for walks around the office park
When at home i sleep, cook meals, go for walks, do bs on the internet

The downside is that I'm explicitly being evaluated on how quickly i respond to emails/instant messages, so it's quite difficult to get into anything too intense.
>>
>>3073736
>>graduate college
>>get programmer job
>>manager doesn't know how to run a tech project but is very opinionated
>>terrible design choices

and how would you even be able to judge this as a recent college graduate
>>
>>3074576
you dont sound like an over achiever. when u have at least a little bit of skills then start your own small business on the net or something. After sometime get that automated and let the money earn the money while you sit back and do ur bs on the inet all day everyday
>>
>>3074631
Trust me, im not at some tech company and im butthurt because my boss wont let me use scala or something stupid. im working with accountants who think the solution to everything is making excel files by hand and hiring dedicated contractors and employees to wrangle excel files for them.

For an example, we needed an up to date documentation of file dependencies for one of our projects. Its built on a third party software package. Being a programmer, I look at the software packages API and realize i can just write a little script to export our project's file structure automatically. When i tell my boss, he demands that i spend several weeks rearranging excel files instead, then assigns several employees to go dependency by dependency through our project and list out all the dependencies by hand into an excel sheet. Just continually recurring stuff like this that makes me think he has little idea how technology works or why he hired someone with basic programming abilities
>>
>>3074576
you sound like a memer in a normies world. Be careful out there man, you are already experiencing what normies do when they find one of us.

>>3074631
because he's still hopeful for the world, while the "more experienced" people that are above him have already given up, and started pushing shit around to make themselves more comfortable.
>>
I basically did the same as you OP for a year. Im a contractor though so once the contract runs out im off to the next project.

You should use your freetime to develop more skills that are in demand or to start a side project/business.

As for me i did none of the above, and just fucked around online all day
>>
>>3073736
Time to gtfo.
>>
>>3074771
The funny thing is that everyone who tried to needle me to do their work for them got let go or left the company, lol. I honestly believe that shit doesn't work. People think too short term. If you scam me into doing your work, I'll get butthurt and you'll lose out on potentially years of productivity gains we could have from cooperating when I stop working with you. It just seems stupid from a practical standpoint. But I'm guilty of thinking only in the short term as well so I can't judge anyone.
>>
File: well memed.jpg (86KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
well memed.jpg
86KB, 803x688px
>>3074767
>>3074771
>invested years in programming
>Normies think excel basic programming

xDDDDDDD TOTALLY MEMER
>>
>>3073736
learn shit on your own time
take the free 70 fucking grand a year
bretty sure online courses are a thing
>>
>>3073736
Yeah I got some programmer job for $75k. I basically could do nothing all day and be totally fine. Been working pretty hard though, because work is almost more boring without doing anything.

Try and learn some stuff on your free time anon, do some personal projects. Definitely gtfo if you aren't learning anything, you're too young to be in a dead end job
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.