[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking about opening a video game shop in Virginia.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0193.jpg (107KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0193.jpg
107KB, 894x894px
I'm thinking about opening a video game shop in Virginia. Is this a good idea, or will I be overtaken by the likes of Amazon?
>>
>>3054779
i mean it's probably terrible for business, but is commerce your primary concern?
>>
A TCG shop would be a wiser investment.
>>
>>3054820
What makes you say that?
>>
bank on the emotions of oldfags by giving it a vintage kevin flynn-esque setting and maybe sell some weed in the back
>>
>>3054779
Ive seen a ton of video game shops and TCG shops open and close in the south east where I'm at. They never seem to last longer than a year.

I imagine you run into the issue where you have to sell at market cause most people can just buy online. And then when people come to sell theyll be emotionally invested in their old collection and want to be paid the price they seen on the ebay for items currently for sale.

It can probably work but dealing with customers seems like such a hassle unless you're a people person.
>>
No, but it'll be taken over by the likes of digital download platforms. Physical copies are shit and the vintage game market isn't great
>>
>>3054779
Margin is tighter than ever, and you have to make rent. What can you provide that will make people shop with you instead of Amazon?

>>3054833
people will just dump tcg on someone who will buy for half of what you can get off eBay. He'll you could just offer to buy other's cards and make money like that
>>
Northern va?
>>
>>3054779
There is a videogame shop close to where I live. It's always empty, to the point they even sell phones and ipads to trick the occasional confused normie into entering.
>>
>>3054779
Horrible idea. Everyone is buying digital copies nowadays.
>>
>>3055797
Huh. Gamestop is always filled with people where I live.
>>
>>3055814
Well, in my country normies use steam and the rest pirate everything, so maybe it's a key cultural difference.
>>
>>3054779
If it's for retro games, good luck getting any games in stock without paying out your ass for them, and good luck getting anyone to buy them at your markup. If you are just selling regular games, good luck competing with gamestop, amazon, and digital.
>>
nah fuck that shit. If you want to open a video game shop, just fcuking make a site and go hard with the marketing. Theres no way - unless you completely understand your demographic in whatever fucking hicktown you live in - that you can run a successful company that will make enough profit to even break even.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.