[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From an employers perspective, does it look better to have graduated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Robespierre_crop.jpg (18KB, 220x294px) Image search: [Google]
Robespierre_crop.jpg
18KB, 220x294px
From an employers perspective, does it look better to have graduated from the bottom 25% of Harvard/Yale/etc, or to have graduated in the top 5% of XYZ state public university?
>>
>>3039923
depends...Ivy looks good no matter what, but most employers went to big state schools with muh pride/alumni, which works wonders in the business world.
>>
>>3039942
So a 2.0 looks good at harvard?
>>
>>3039923
The top 5% of any reputable state school would have been able to succeed fine at an Ivy League or other highly prestigious school had they gotten in. It's just that there are almost no slots so barely anyone gets in.

Many employers don't know this though, so they are biased in favor of Ivy Leagues. But many also do know this and are reasonable

For instance I was a CS major at a standard state university and interned at a trading firm primarily consisting of ALL Ivy League and MIT/CMU guys who I thought were way above my league. But I was just as good as them because I'm basically autistically obsessed with programming and stuff. And then ended up getting great jobs and multiple offers

It's the person and their competence. CS is a bit more of a meritocracy though so your mileage may vary with other topics
>>
>>3040066
International Relations with a minor in french language is what I want to study
>>
>>3039953
Nobody gets a 2.0 in Harvard, they either get >3.0 or drop out
>>
>>3040066
Yeah, i went to the number state school in my state and had job offers a year before graduating. My gpa was around 3.4 and i made the most of it during my time there. Many of my freinds had similar experiences and those who didnt found jobs right after graduation. Im fairly convinced that as long as you make some connections in school it shouldnt matter to much in the grand scheme of things.

t.EEfag
>>
>>3040182
Ee?
>>
>>3040277
Electrical engineer prob
>>
>>3040305
Ah. I stay away from STEM. I was only good at soft sciences.
>>
>>3040147
No daddy donates a new dorm and that grade gets adjusted.
>>
>>3040337
It makes me sad that there's rich dumbfucks getting payed to go to school by daddy and there's tons of smart people that can't go to college
>>
>>3039923
top 5%, easily. Yet at prestigious uni's, your gpa or class ranking could be largely outweighed by research productivity - if you did any. Research opportunities are virtually nil at a regular state uni. But I'm confused, because I went to a public ivy (Berkeley), and thought my GPA was 3.68, I had tons of research, work, and LSD experience, as compared to other friends I know that went to SDSU and got 3.2 gpa in binge drinking. So when you state, you gotta consider research vs teaching uni's.
>>
>>3039923
if your first job is at IBM, Apple, Jewgle, Booz, etc, then it might matter. other than that, nobody ever asks what your gpa is. nobody cares because it doesn't matter (unless you're applying to grad school).
>>
>>3040511
Really?
>>
A top school would be better, they just have far better job recruiting than the state school. You'll have employers coming to you with job offers, rather than deal with soul-crushing pain of a job search. The high GPA would help if you plan to go to grad school, but most employers won't care as long as you got the degree.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.