[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is something cool and useful that's been done with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1401587013179.jpg (231KB, 1400x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1401587013179.jpg
231KB, 1400x1035px
What is something cool and useful that's been done with Cryptocoins? Besides mailorder drugs (which is cool/useful). I don't understand where the value comes from and my feeling is that it's held up by criminals and tax-evaders.

What is one thing that a cryptocurrency can do better than fiat?
>>
>>2965837
store value
>>
Not take days to transfer
>>
>>2965840
yup. this is it. this is what people want. bank accounts dont offer it anymore, but cryptos sure as hell do.
>>
File: Bitcoin-mining-server-farm.jpg (221KB, 1200x896px) Image search: [Google]
Bitcoin-mining-server-farm.jpg
221KB, 1200x896px
>I don't understand where the value comes from

The value comes from the equipment that has been invested to mine bitcoin (capital) and the power it costs to produce it (maintenance).
>>
>>2965837
well, it is good for criminals and tax evaders for the same reasons it is good for everyone else:
>can be sent and received easily and anonymously
>can be stored in a variety of low-profile ways
>cannot be printed for free by a powerful entity
that's cool even if you're not a criminal.

From a slightly tinfoil pov, crypto as it exists today completely bypasses the business model of both banks and governments, the most powerful institutions everywhere on the planet. For the first time in a while, these fuckers have competition. The government either bans bitcoin or starts giving us good reasons to use their currencies. Can you imagine?
>"Pay with Dollar! For every 1,000 dollars spent within American borders, you get bigger discounts in Health & Education! At 10,000, you become a Silver Citizen! Silver Citizens get access to all the Federal Roads, free power in up to three addresses*, plus all the Bronze Citizen rewards!
>*not exceeding 100MWh each.
One can only dream, right?
>>
>>2965840
Not only store value, but give a good ROI as well. That 1% a year savings account at the local bank is losing me money from inflation alone.

>>2965863
As well as the raw fiat already invested, though that has a lower/slower effect.
>>
>>2965863
>>I don't understand where the value comes from

you're right i don't understand it. so the value is tied to how much energy is wasted by computations ?
>>
>>2966054
Not wasted, all of that computational power provides network security for the transactions. The more hash power the network has, the more secure your coins are.
>>
File: mining-rig-28.jpg (560KB, 2048x1154px) Image search: [Google]
mining-rig-28.jpg
560KB, 2048x1154px
>>2966054
Think about it. The Bitcoin market is like any other. You need capital to produce it. In the same way that you need factories and machines to make cars or nike shoes, you need mining rigs to produce coins. You need facilities, infrastructure. The miners, who are the producers, ultimately control the price of entry. No matter how low traders crash or inflate the price through speculation, a miner would never sell Bitcoin for less than it costs to produce, which is where the bedrock of support comes from. That's why BTC can never fall to zero.

The "energy wasted by computations" is another factor that props up the price and gives the coin value. Think of it as labor costs payed by the producers.
>>
File: bitcoin.jpg (1009KB, 1500x796px) Image search: [Google]
bitcoin.jpg
1009KB, 1500x796px
>>2965837
the value comes from the technology itself. it is the first digital currency in the world that is controlled by no one. not even (((central banks)))
>>
>>2966096
Good point, but with one caveat

>a miner would never sell Bitcoin for less than it costs to produce

A miner would if pressured for rent/electricity/obsolescence by other miners
>>
gambling, where its illegal
>>
I guess that comes under criminal activity
>>
Crypto is a revolution against taxation. I know you love your government but some day you won't so hold.
>>
>>2965837
Crowdfunded real-estate
https://blog.rexmls.com/rex-reidao-2af7118bfe96
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.