[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm studying to become a civil engineer but I'm starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I'm studying to become a civil engineer but I'm starting to lose interest. I'm curious about economics. What kind of things interest someone that may be signs that they would be a good economist? Will a career in economics make me want to kill myself? Is it exciting, interesting, and why? Just trying to find out as much info as I can.
>>
Find a job with very high potential in the future. For example jobs in the Tech industry, programming is a highly needed job. I got started out without a degree at 90k for being a Java Programmer. Econmics will interest you if you're already in the general interest of it. Otherwise you will want to kill yourself
>>
>>2944048
Good to know. Do economists work mostly with computers?
>>
>>2944048
>I got started out without a degree
Interested in how you did this. Contacts? Did you take a job within the company you already worked for? Etc.

t. self-teaching developer
>>
>>2944026
Economics is basically a useless degree unless you want to go and do honors/masters and eventually go do a PhD in it, it's useful if you double major in it though with something like finance.
>>
>>2944244
Finance is more where I was aiming when I asked this, should have clarified
>>
>>2944217
sorry im on my other computer, I was self taught as well. I was told by my cousins whos in the industry that its all a Numbers game. Once you feel confident enough, Just start throwing shit tons of applications out, Interviews are a bit different for programming where they usually give you problems to solve, so you cant BS it like you can with other jobs. I saw somewhere that 93% or something like that programming jobs go unfilled, So you have a really good chance at landing a programming job if you really know what youre doing.
>>
>>2944656
Thanks for the encouraging words, senpai
>>
>>2944048
>jobs in the Tech industry
enjoy being replaced by pajeets in a few years
>>
>Java Programmer
into the trsh it goes
>>
>>2944900
nice memes but b2b java is huge business
>>
Also interested in economics OP. Be advised that most people with econ degrees don't actually work as economists. They usually go into marketing or get hired as sales analysts by big corps. It is a lucrative field, but it's also very soulless.

For right now I'm just reading as many textbooks as I can about it. That way I'll have an actual background already if I wish to pursue a formal education.
>>
I'm a structural engineer in London. Shit money + long hours... but at least the pajeet and the robot wont be stealing my job in the next decade like the rest of these cucks
>>
>>2944026

Mech Eng here.

I did Economics for a year before dropping out.

I couldn't decide between Econ and Eng, but i chose Econ.

Fuck me it was boring.

It's also highly subjective, don't let the (((maths))) confuse you.

If you want a maths degree that'll help you trade then just study financial maths or applied computational maths (you'll learn programming too).

I see why you're getting bored of engineering, but believe me Econ is worse.

Engineering is the right option, you can apply for Econ jobs with an Engineering Degree but you're pretty much worthless with an Econ degree, sorry to let you know.
>>
Search for old Economics midterms/finals on google. Decide if you think it's cool. I was a Finance major/Econ minor and I definitely liked Econ more, especially behavioral economics. I don't use economics at my job (software dev) but I frequently think about the game theory I studied.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.