[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am an undergraduate finance major. I would like to get an internship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: financial analyst.jpg (81KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
financial analyst.jpg
81KB, 1000x666px
I am an undergraduate finance major. I would like to get an internship as a financial analyst. What essential industry knowledge must I have before I open my mouth and speak to a recruiter? I want to have some idea of what I am talking about. I have only taken 1 finance class so far, so my knowledge is pretty limited.
>>
>>2877461
Nigga read a shit ton of books on finance get through like 5 before you open your mouth
>>
>>2877478
Which books do you recommend?
>>
>>2877461
Understand how to read a balance sheet and income statement, and what generally certain things mean.

For example, maybe you look at a balance sheet and see that from FY2015 to FY2016 revenue went down from 5m to 2m, but the temporarily restricted assests when from 10m to 15m. You might ask if the increase in net assets and drop in current year revenue is a result of a strategic move by the company to situate themselves a certain way a couple years down the line.

When you get an intership be sure to ask about the history of the position, have they always had interns? How many years? Ask them to think of a successful intern they have or have had, and ask what they did that made them such a good fit?

The key to doing well in interviews is so demonstrate that you have some kind of knowledge, but more importantly that you are curious and willing to ask questions so you can learn.

Learn basic excel like pivot tables and vlookups.
>>
>>2877520
To clarify, you look at the income statement to see that revenue went down, you look at the balance sheet to see that temporarily restricted assets increased.
>>
>>2877520
Thanks, my knowledge at this stage is pretty limited, but I can at least read balance sheets and income statements.

Should I also have some idea of what particular sector I want to work in? Or whether I want to work on the sell side or buy side? I have no idea how to make these determinations at this point, I'd just be happy with any internship
>>
>>2877496
Read the Vernimmen
>>
>>2877461
What s normie just buy the shitcoin dip
>>
>>2877461
tell him you're used to buy high and sell low on the crypto markets and that you took advise from a financial website called biz. that may catch his attention
>>
>>2877592
Nobody expects you to know that yet. Be honest and say that you're generally interested in the field and are very interested in any opportunity so you can get your feet wet and learn what interests you most.
>>
>>2877461
You fucked up already, the right major for financial analyst is accounting. Finance degree is basically useless. Switch major if you can.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.