[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is consulting just high prestige/status/compensation independent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Is consulting just high prestige/status/compensation independent contracting?
>>
>>2783647
Bump
I'm trying to understand just what a consultant does. So far it seems just like a high status temp, i.e., "Whatever we need you to do but we're not hiring you." In fact, looking at some consultancy gigs, I'm not seeing how it's any different except that consulting firms have wealthier contacts.
>>
>>2784529
It's corporate wankery of the highest form
>>
>>2784529
Yeah, you're not too far off.

Most consulting houses sell their goods on the principle that their employees have broader, more valuable experience in niche areas.

The reality is that for the most part, they provide staff augmentation in niche areas and the true value they provide is that contracting consultants is an extremely easy (albeit expensive) method of installing a skill set where it's needed immediately.

Essentially, the service consultants provide is entirely dependent on how generally illiquid the employment market is. It takes significant time and investment to hire in-house staff with particular skill sets, so sometimes it's cheaper to just hire a consultant to do the work if it's a shorter term or project-based role.
>>
Consultant here, I get sold by the firm for just about any role that the "client" wants me to fill and matches my skillset.

One reason for hiring consultants from well known firms is risk avoidance.. can't sell hiring a bunch of unorganized script kiddies to your investors.. so you get a bunch of consultants with a reputable firm as their backbone and name to keep "clean".
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.