[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wasn't sure if this belongs here or on /g/, but is Management

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1746.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1746.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
Wasn't sure if this belongs here or on /g/, but is Management Information Systems a worthwhile major?
>>
>>2777703
I think it belongs on /b/
>>
>>2777707
Why do you say that
>>
>>2777854

No.

It's a meme degree.
>>
just do CS and get an internship
>>
>>2777703
Just go CS major / Econ minor (better than business). If you do well and your college isn't shitty you will be employable anywhere that matters.
>>
>>2777703
it probably overlaps with a lot of decent majors, but if you see any classes that have the word "management," or "business XD XD," in them as an undergrad, prepare to waste your time.

like i'm just using this random shit as an example: https://mis.eller.arizona.edu/undergraduate/courses

you get maybe one or two classes that will be relevant to your career, and the rest are theoretical/situational and retarded social studies classes. if you were to compete for any job with a guy who did computer science or statistics, you would not get that job.
>>
>>2777703

Any degree with "management" in the name is a complete meme degree.

Enjoy spending 40k to be a middle manager wagecuck
>>
>>2777703
I majored in CIS (basically the same thing as Management Information Systems). It's basically the same as CS but more business/people focused.

Fucked around in college, almost got kicked out twice due to shit grades (below 2.0) and finished with around 2.5. Obviously no internships or experience. By graduation I had multiple job offers and had to call several other companies to tell them to stop my applications. Currently working as a systems developer making good money and love the job.

Not sure where everyone on here is getting their info that it's a meme degree, but I think the word "business" or "management" tends to make people sperg out
>>
>>2778354
>basically the same
anyone can and should get a job regardless of degree. meme degrees are intended for people who want to get a certain type of job but are trash at the core skills for it. when you say "people focused" you are saying you took classes at university to share/discuss opinions about concepts you had no frame of reference for. you get some tips on communication and social dynamics here and there, but it's not worth thousands of dollars.

if it wasn't distinct from CS, it wouldn't be called CIS. "management" is an awful buzzword that reflects how little sales companies use "account manager" to describe cold callers and pencil pushers. it might hook you, but you aren't managing shit at 22 years of age. will you have fun? are they easy classes? is it a big deal? depends on the school and teachers, but this sort of problem fucks over a lot of people. if you're just good at the ethics classes and how to write a report on the history of some healthcare law, you shouldn't be convinced that you can suddenly maintain big company databases.
>>
>>2777703
Hey jesse
>>
While I have you all here, how do you feel about Accounting as a major?
>>
>>2778830
Accounting will be one of the first professions to get fully automated.
>>
>>2779056
Alright then how about Statistics?
>>
>>2779056
maybe for bookkeepers tier accountants , but i think for legal reasons good accountants will be needed for a while
>>
>>2778503
>when you say "people focused" you are saying you took classes at university to share/discuss opinions about concepts you had no frame of reference for
>if you're just good at the ethics classes and how to write a report on the history of some healthcare law, you shouldn't be convinced that you can suddenly maintain big company databases.

that's not what i'm saying at all. by people focused i was referring to the sort of positions a CIS major might have out of college, such as tech jobs that depend on coordinating with other areas of the business instead of just writing code. most of the courses between CS and CIS majors at my Uni were the same, differing only in certain electives (specifically, database management for CIS and programming for CS). the way you're describing the degree makes it seem like it has a foundation in liberal arts. i'm sure it can vary by school but the majority of my coursework was technical, not theoretical
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.