[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /biz/, got any general financial advice? /adv/ is broken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 8a8.jpg (32KB, 600x490px) Image search: [Google]
8a8.jpg
32KB, 600x490px
hey /biz/, got any general financial advice?
/adv/ is broken for me right now
>connection error

i have about 200k in cash from inheritance and insurance beneficiary (also inherited RRSPs/401k and TFSA/IRAs which are pretty much maxed). just looking for steady investment to try to keep pace with inflation. thought about real estate or REITs but the market here is going to shit apparently (Toronto, Canada) and i don't want the headaches of being a landlord. im not opposed to moving but i can't until i finish school which won't be for a couple years.

i also have a townhouse but it's pretty run down so i'd have to put in easily 20-50k to renovate it for move or sell. i've considered just selling as is because its in a good neighborhood close to all the things but idk and i don't want to buy another house here so i'd have to rent till i finish school.
>>
>>2748054
there literally are vehicles to protect against inflation

TIPS (treasury inflation protected securities)

there is good data to support the idea of a bubble in canadian real estate

there are also good data to support the idea of a bubble in equities

i would keep some cash on hand whatever you do, may be buying opportunities coming up
>>
>>2748054

and why not REITs? You put 200k into a basket of dividend paying REITs you can expect 18k/year pretax cashflow to help with your neet lifestyle

Isn't that what you want, Anon? To live that trust fund life?
>>
>>2748054
gtfo normie
>>
>>2748118
A you talking about a high yield reit ETF or fund, or picking individual companies?

No free lunch bro
>>
>>2748054
adblock messes up /adv/ fyi
>>
>>2748054
pump my digibyte bags please
>>
>>2748089
ya i don't know much about TIPS or RRBs as they are called here. i mean the inflation rate is rising relatively slow here, but the leafbuck is crashing against global currencies so i feel like that makes the inflation numbers kinda suspect and hard for me, especially as a normie, hard to interpret because i definitely want emigrate at some point

>>2748118
not really, i want to work in my field for about 10-20 years then move to ireland and open a public house. but yeah, a mutual fund or reit (i understand they generally perform about the same over time) kickback would be nice. i live pretty spartan so i would probably reinvest a lot of that if i was confident with the funds and my institution
>>
>>2748054
Since you're in canada, the advice will be more limited, I don't know a whole lot, but one thing for certain is that you guys have legal weed stocks, I'd look into that market since it's potential is massive and the stocks are pretty cheap right now. REITs are iffy, an ETF would be a better bet than individual stocks since REIT companies vary wildly due to region and type of real estate they hold(business versus apartments/houses), however they do generally give better dividends. I'd look into whether or not you want to sell off your IRA, in the US you can legally sell an inherited IRA within the first year, after that you're locked in, the portfolio might not be optimal or you might just want the money.

If you really have fuck all experience, your best bet is to goto a certified financial planner, someone who actually can give you legit advice, just make sure whoever you goto doesn't have a product or some kind of kick-back scheme going on to sell you shit that could fuck you over on returns.
As for the house, that's really your call, you could talk with a realtor I suppose for their opinion, some places just aren't really worth the trouble, especially if it's a nicer area since new owners generally remodel anyway to their specs, I just went through this with my old house, I ended up just selling it as is and taking the small hit to earnings. You could just do basic repairs and painting to make it livable for yourself until you finish school. Really this is your call man, it's your house.

The main thing is to get rid of that cash and fast, $200k is going to get eaten by inflation pretty hard, at the very least get some of that in some kind of bonds if you can't make a stock choice within the next month.
>>
File: logo.png (26KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
26KB, 300x100px
>>2748236
yeah i definitely need professional advice and im willing to pay for it but what is fair to pay?

the bank set me up with some guy and i reluctantly (seemed like an obvious conflict of interest, the meeting was even in my banks branch) met with him but he seemed real sleazy, talking about how big his book was, but i watched him drive up in a shitty ford focus and his suit looked like dog shit. so he was pressing me real hard and at the end of the meeting i was like
>okay, well let me think about this and talk to some ppl
and he kinda freaked out tl;dr very unprofessional

its hard to know who good firms are when you dont really know the game, and obviously when the sharks smell blood they circle

anyway this all seems like very prudent advice particularly for my case. you're pretty much the exact kind of person i would want to hire or get a referral to a planner from
>>
>>2748337
well you saw red flags and you aren't a pro, that right there should prove to you how shitty that guy was. Like I said, my knowledge on Canada is limited, but I did a quick google search and came up with a couple links, I'd get more but I'm in a rush today.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/financial-advisers-a-tale-of-two-certificates/article4083578/

https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/the-cpa-profession/cpas-and-what-we-do/find-an-accounting-firm

http://www.mymoneycoach.ca/blog/find-best-cfp-certified-financial-planner-advisor-manage-money-retirement-planning-wealth-management-personal-finances.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/savings-investments/choose-financial-advisor.html
>>
>>2748441
I've actually read a couple of those already, but thanks I appreciate that. I'm really just trying to learn everything I can to make an informed decision on financial advisor.

if you, or anyone else is still around, do you think it's suspect for an financial services rep (they are like assistant bank managers at the bank i deal with training to be planners) to make unsolicited comments about transactions? im grandpa was at the bank and the guy was like
>hey you just got a new car, eh?
>haha
he asked me about it, and i said
>well he probably gets alerted to large transactions
i doubt its illegal or against policy, but it felt a little inappropriate. i think the rep is just a try-hard. they're all pretty sleazy at this branch now. between us we have about 250k with this branch, and i was thinking about calling and talking to the manager or corporate to voice some of my concerns and hint we were considering changing institutions.
>>
>>2748652
I use Raymond James financial financial services for my financial planning needs. My planner is very good guy. He doesn't even charge me commission on trades some times
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.