[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody here have a good understanding about derivatives?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Does anybody here have a good understanding about derivatives?
I've been researching a lot about Futures, Options and Swaps but everything seems so confusing. It would be good if someone could clarify everything in simpler terms.

I know that a derivative is a contract that ''derives'' its value from something else... and that there is a lot of gambling involved... Pretty much all the examples involve people speculating on the price of something at a certain date. And some guy was saying that derivatives are mortgage payments, student loans, and car payments wrapped up and sold in packages... what does this even have to do with it?

I've also been seeing that the derivatives market is one of the biggest pieces of shit ever invented, but again I'd like to know why.
>>
File: _text.png (171KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
_text.png
171KB, 400x400px
BTC price and futures?
>>
>>2741774

I work in the treasury department for a large bank specializing in options. We mainly use them to hedge our position in our positions. We generally only use a 50% hedge.

You do this for stupid accounting rules. We don't want to turn into a Leman Brothers in a market downturn.

What do you want to know?
>>
>>2741786
I wanna know what exactly are futures, options and swaps. How can you make money on it, and how can you lose money on it. And if it really solves a real problem or if it's just a meme that the big boys play.
>>
>>2741774
You need an advanced mathematical background to make any money on these as at the other end of the trade are desks of 3 Math PhDs
>>
>>2741797

Research it you faggot, I'm not wasting my time for a kid on 4chan. You can literally find all of that out by doing a google search.

I thought you had a real question, not a "babby's first rodeo".
>>
>>2741774
https://www.khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain/core-finance/derivative-securities
>>
>>2741975
Is the size of the derivatives market in comparison to global GDP a cause for concern? Or is it just a blown up talking point? For instance, when people talk right now about a "derivatives bubble" and mention that Deutsche Bank managing like a $47 trillion derivatives book, is there any reason to be truly concerned? Or is it just big numbers?
>>
>>2741975
Woah, excuse me for asking about a confusing topic. If you had properly read my post you've known what I meant, seems to me that you don't know shit when your reaction is to get bitchy about my lack of knowledge.
>>
File: 1308079089001.png (218KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
1308079089001.png
218KB, 600x579px
>tfw no options for shitcoins
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.