[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to start a degree in biomedical engineering in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I'm about to start a degree in biomedical engineering in October.

I chose it because I've got good grades and it sounds hella interesting.

But I haven't really considered career prospects, money, or hope future-proof it is in the next 20 years.

What does /biz/ think?
>>
>>2739563
You're good to go. You're going to work on big things bro
>>
>>2739563
get into dentistry
1. production of prosthetic limbs is comparatively easy
2. dentistry requires your services and is profitable
>>
>>2739572
I'm hoping to get into military grade research and development augmentations that go beyond replacement of limbs.

Also, I want someone interesting. I couldn't think of a worse waste of a STEM education than dentistry
>>
>>2739563
I would go with machine learning or deep learning if I were in school now. Neural networks will be much hotter than Biomedical Engineering. If you're smart enough.
>>
>>2739563
>biomedical engineering

You need to attain a PhD for those fields.

Otherwise good luck finding a job.
>>
>>2739563
>hella
kys commieformia scum
>>
>>2739582
This just doesn't seem plausible.

Considering it's one of the fastest growing realms of engineering, I doubt that *everyone*
needs an advanced degree to work in it at all.

To me it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

>>2739570
Cheers bro. Here's hoping
>>
>>2739579
you have to keep in mind that copies will be made, intellectual property stolen, there may not even be a government to pay you at some point...
this is the reason I'm advocating you focus on something that requires fine skills and physical presence in providing your services
>>
>>2739596
>Considering it's one of the fastest growing realms of engineering, I doubt that *everyone*
>needs an advanced degree to work in it at all.

So is biotech.

Seems like you're the one who doesn't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2739563
im technically a bioengineer and i still don't know what it means. there are computational biologists, data scientists, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and a bunch of analysts/associates who just do lab shit and paperwork. my bioengineering program was fun but not relevant to career shit. almost nobody will ever hire a 22 year old to design or test medical devices. so your options will be to focus on programming/bioinformatics, or to pursue a phd.

they should have a mentorship program and some other IEEE resource shit. keep up to date with the top bio journals through your library access, and make sure to be interested in FDA guidelines for medical device approval/manufacturing. if you want to start working after your bachelors, make sure you volunteer in a bio/bioE/chem lab and at least understand GMP/GLP.

most of your colleagues will be asians and rich kids who can memorize shit well but are only in the program because they think it's a good investment. they will never work in the industry as engineers; they end up in sales or stuck as bench monkeys. don't network with them, network with your professors and people who visit as company reps or speakers (go to the seminars). the good/interesting students you want to talk to are in computer science, mechanical engineering, and maybe biochem/chemE.
>>
>>2739603
IP theft is a valid concern, but I don't think the collapse of government is. Thanks for replying though

>>2739580
I'm either not smart enough or don't have the mental discipline for that, I'm afraid. Why don't you get into it?

>>2739592
A thought-provoking response

>>2739618
This seems like solid advice. Thank you for taking the time to give it. What would you say is the best way to find a career path that pertains to my degree as much as possible? My dad's a paper pusher and I love the man but he's absolutely miserable. I know I'm young and probably sound like I have my head in the clouds a bit haha
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.