[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How have your salary negotiating experiences gone? >get into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: sweaty pepe.png (280KB, 646x595px) Image search: [Google]
sweaty pepe.png
280KB, 646x595px
How have your salary negotiating experiences gone?

>get into IT/business job at 45K at a small company
>get raise to 50K
>get offer from Ernst & Young after two years
>expecting a raise at my current job to 55K
>initially thinking of asking for 60K, but then wonder if I could even go to 70K
>don't want to ask for too high a salary increase, but also don't want to rob myself

Even with knowledge of the market it seems difficult.
>>
>>2726957
just ask faggot worst you get declined and take a lower salary
>>
>>2726957
you need to research until you know exactly what the position pays and what you're worth, then it's all very simple. glassdoor, payscale, read every salary profile you can find and make sure it's for your area.
>>
>>2726957
Just look into the average salaries of people with your experience and ask for the high end of that. They will probably come back with a counter offer that's a bit lower, but this way you can say "based on the average salary for somebody with my skills and years of experience I was looking for around XX per year".
>>
>>2726957
OP negotiating a salary is like negotiating the price of a car. Do some research, find out what others are being paid for the same job, then try to highball em by a few grand cuz fuck it may be they'll take the bait. And that's it
>>
>>2726968
Please mind your punctuation.
I know you can do better, Anon.
http://comma.guide/

Correct: "Just ask, faggot."
>>
>>2726957
Listen to these guys
>>2726998
>>2727086
>>2727877
Your employer is going to try to pay you as cheaply as possible. If you bring value to the company, make sure you get comped appropriately.
>>
>>2726957
Negotiating 101 anon, start with a big low ball. You want 70k? Ask for 35k. Just like buying a house or a car, low ball them big time. Good luck.
>>
>>2726957
Glassdoor is your friend.
>>
A) never be scared of asking for money from your employer. They are NOT your friend

B) consider what you think is fair and add 10%
>>
>>2726957
Make sure to point out how you've saved and/or made the organization money. Back it up with data. Companies live keeping people around that positively effect the bottom line.
>>
>>2726957
It's only difficult because you're a pussy.

Either you know what you're worth and you're willing to ask for it, or you aren't.

If you know what you're worth and you don't ask for it, you're a pussy, and if you don't know what you're worth, you're an idiot. We live in the age of information, there's no excuse for not being informed as to your skills and value.

If EY doesn't agree with you on your worth, you need to think about whether you're willing to accept that. Beyond that, if they don't think you're worth the money, that's their problem, not yours.

Think about it this way; they're taking a slight risk on your abilities, yes, but you're taking a bigger risk that their company culture, management structure, and intangibles aren't going to suit you. If you don't get what you want out of the salary, why the fuck are you leaving in the first place? "Resume boosters" are a meme; the only reason you should leave one job for another is more money, or a promotion.
>>
>>2729714
Sorry, forgot about the only other good reason for leaving a job, which is a toxic work environment.

If your current job absolutely sucks and you can't stand it, then you can leave as well. Otherwise, you shouldn't leave unless you'd get better money or a better title somewhere else.
>>
>>2727907

I love this meme
>>
File: 1453836938145.jpg (4KB, 165x163px) Image search: [Google]
1453836938145.jpg
4KB, 165x163px
>>2729626

Well meme'd anon.
>>
I collated 13 sources that average out to maybe 75-80K, but it's be a 50% raise compared to my current position

I'll ask for 75 and expect 70
>>
>>2726957
just dont be a cuck
>>
>>2727907
Back to /pol/ with you!!!
>>
>>2726957
IT is the easiest shit to look this up retard.

also, you don't "negotiate" anything unless you are top tier talent or a freelancer or have already done a fuckload of work for the company. they have a strict budget for each lower level employee, with the variance based on quantity of years in the industry. in my field, everybody who is a level 1 or 2 associate/analyst makes 35-55k, depending on the size of the company. when you apply for level 2 at a big company and try to ask for 60k, they'll say "oh well we can do 50k is that alright?" and you won't get any higher because there are 30 applicants just like you. inb4 muh p0tential XD XD.

once you're important enough to negotiate, you'll know how much money you make/save the company and what you're worth. the "market" doesn't matter, a small startup will pay you just as much as the established company for the same work if it makes sense.
>>
>>2731226
>a small startup will pay you just as much as the established company for the same work

This is 1000% false
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.