[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am a design student at ASU and I was trying to figure out ways

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

I am a design student at ASU and I was trying to figure out ways of using the resources of the school to make money. For instance our tuition pays for a free membership to techshop ( techshop is a place where you could fabricate almost anything).

I had the idea of using the cnc machine to create molds for small cement planters which I could sell at the local art market.

Does /biz/ have any better ideas of using techshop to make money. Is there any hot product that is easy to produce in a place like techshop? Maybe fidget spinners, or is this a dying trend.
>>
Make those stupid pizza stones.
>>
>>2664479
that almost seems too easy, not a very challenging desing project. I am looking for a balance of simplicity, and distinctiveness. But that is an idea to consider.
>>
I need something that I would be able to sell locally, since I don't have the means of creating mass production
>>
cutting boards?
>>
>>2664536
If you do end grain with cool patterns they sell for a lot. They're tricky to make even for someone experienced with hardwood though.
>>
>>2664559
the tools are available to me, I was thinking using the cnc to create something unique that would add to the function of a cutting board. I wonder what the best way of selling would be. door to door, craigslist, website, newspaper add
>>
>>2664573
There are a lot of patterns online. Are you familiar with hardwoods? Makes some business cards and rent tables at the local farmers markets and craft fairs. You can network with people there who have boutiques and whatnot. Every marketing option you listed is retard to be totally honest with you.
>>
Hidden wood stuff. Bitches love that shit.
Just go through Instagram, see what's hot and doable with your tools/machinery, and go crazy.
t. Industrial design student
>>
>>2664598
ya I kind of felt like those would lead nowhere. I felt like my best bet was this event called first of friday where locals bring art and handmade goods to sell, it is huge here in Arizona. I could use patterns from online but then there would be nothing that makes me unique from all the other guys who do this for a living.

I was thinking about making a cutting board that could double as a knife block
>>
>>2664644
right that is a great idea
>>
File: aurorra_1024x1024.jpg (145KB, 785x1024px) Image search: [Google]
aurorra_1024x1024.jpg
145KB, 785x1024px
>>2664644
typed in hidden wood and found this shit. fucking amazing. cheap and fast to do and could fetch a high price.
>>
Hi! I actually go to ASU too and was thinking of something similar to you, using the techshop to start a business. The best thing I could come up with was taking the woodworking course and making polaroid camera frames or anything else really. One of my friends also tried to start his own laser engraving business with it. Good luck!
>>
>>2665429
if you ever feel like brainstorming, i'm usually at the design school working on the computers. Are you an engineer?
>>
Just make some fucking triforces
>>
>>2665499
no, I'm a dumb bizness major :( I probably won't do anything with it but good luck! your idea for the pots sounds cool. you can connect with me on fb if you'd like, my name is chris cusick
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.