[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is studying medicinal chemistry a bad move for a career professional?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg (31KB, 554x692px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u2.jpg
31KB, 554x692px
is studying medicinal chemistry a bad move for a career professional? Will it be hard to make 6 figures in the field?

I hear biochemistry is really where it's at right now but I feel I'd be a lot more interested in designing new chemicals.
>>
>>2606746
what the fuck is medicinal chemistry?
sounds like some pajeet pre-med major where if you don't get into medical school you can expect to be fucked.

Don't be a retard and get an engineering degree, retard
>>
>>2606780
post the statistics on average income of people with engineering degree compared to other degrees.

Also medicinal chemistry is the entire pharamaceutical industry you cunt.
>>
>>2606780
just anecdotal but my dad has an engineering degree and did nothing with it. Maybe my dad is stupid. My cousin has an engineering degree and the pay is shit, he's gone into teaching in his mid thirties. And he's definitely not stupid.

I don't know what it's like in America but engineering isn't some prestigious amazing niche degree. A couple of my only friends aare doing engineering in September and it's pretty much the standard "I did well at school and don't know what job I want" degree.
>>
File: chooseyourdestiny.jpg (73KB, 960x730px) Image search: [Google]
chooseyourdestiny.jpg
73KB, 960x730px
>is studying X a good idea?
Roll
>>
>>2606746
Biochem is only good if you're going for a PhD.
>>
>>2607040
any good resources on creer advice with career pathways and the like? I wouldn't put getting PhD out of the question.

I'd be able to stomach a 4 year biochemistry course if I can choose to get into drug manfacturing and design down the line but I don't think you can do that. Biochemistry seems to be more applied biology.

Any opinions on nanoscience? The description of the course seems really uninteresting but it has a good reputation.
>>
>>2606845
>implying a pharma company will hire someone with a BS and give them a good job

You really are fucking stupid aren't you?
>>
>>2607124
over half the medicinal chemistry students get picked up by pharmaceutical companies at my university. As for pay I've got no idea that's why I made the thread.
>>
>>2607094
If you want to get into drug manufacturing and design that is all in the realm of physical chemistry. Nothing made me feel dumber than physical chemistry but it's super interesting in terms of the things you'll be able to research on if you went on to a PhD.

I'd highly recommend to stay away from biochemistry/molecular biology (as someone who has a biochem degree). I could have made more use out of a literature degree
>>
Hi,

BSc and MSc medicinal chemistry & drug discovery student here. Currently studying at UCL. You can make a lot of money in medicinal chemistry even without a PhD, if you go into management functions.

However, after studying drug discovery management for a year I decided management is not for me.

Your income after you attained a PhD is above average however, keep in mind that most people are around 28-30 when they finish their PhD.

In my opinion it might be good to check medicinal physics or medicinal engineering.

That is an up and coming industry. I am not saying that pharma is dying, not at all, it's just that medicinal engineering is cool and quite hefty money wise.

Uhm any other questions?
>>
>>2608414
O and another thing. Although the management functions ought to be in the higher pay grades, you have to keep in mind that these are desk jobs 8-19.

Hence I would have rather done medicinal engineering. Team of nerds working on some stuff. Pretty cool.
>>
>>2607124
Why are you so angry?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.