[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me about about stocks with dividends /biz/. What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1496949398633.jpg (332KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496949398633.jpg
332KB, 960x720px
Tell me about about stocks with dividends /biz/.

What's stopping me from finding a stock with high dividend yield, buying before the ex date, and pulling out a day after the ex date and pocketing the dividend?

Tell me why this wouldn't work.
>>
>>2466385
Why wouldn't it work? What's the big deal? Maybe u make a capital gain, hopefully. Maybe you take a capital loss its up to you. But 1 dividend, is it worth it. Some fucked up idea unless you have alot of capital.
>>
>>2466413
Ok, so I found this list of stocks that have decently sized dividend yield.

WIN, PSEC, FTR, WPG, CBL, NRZ

All these stocks have a dividend yield between 11% and 14%

WIN has the highest at 13.39%, and it's ex date is on June 28, 2 weeks from now.

Should I buy now or wait a week to buy?
>>
>>2466532
Current price is at 4.48, so pretty cheap, the dividend payout is 0.15 per share bought, so if I buy 5000 shares right now, the dividend would be $750

It seems too easy, there must be a catch.
>>
>>2466677
>there must be a catch.
There is.
Namely that the fluctuation in the stock can easily wipe out your profit.
>>
>>2466677
There is, when u deal with stuff that yields 11%, it's really risky. Speculative grade, junk. Look at the price fluctuations it has. You must hold from before the ex date until the dividend pay out. If u buy 5000 shares, u spend 22.4k on these shares. While u hold until the dividend date, will it drop? What if it does? You get 750 dividend but ur 22.4k is work 21k perhaps. These dividend payouts arn't predictable either. It's 11% per year, based on last year's data. So when u get 1 quarterly dividend, u get 1/4 the yield, and maybe its a shit yield that quarter. Could be less. And then they'll say your not even entitled to the dividend cause u have to buy 3 business days before the ex date to clear it properly. Give it a try, have fun
>>
>>2466738
Well, I only need to hold it for 3 days to catch the dividend.

The volatility is at 3%

The dividend is greater than the risk.

That's not really what I'm worried about.
>>
>>2466763
What other factors should I be looking at then?
>>
>>2466677
Stop posting cointelegraph drawings.
>>
>>2466817
>>2466900
I don't think you only hold 3 days to receive the dividend. Research it up again and make sure that correct. From ex date to payout is longer than 3 days kek
>>
>>2466817
>The volatility is at 3%
Whatever that means.
I only had to go back a week before I found a day where it lost the amount of the dividend plus 25%.
Are you sure this is as rare as you think?
>>
>>2466931
day before ex date to the day after ex date, even checked with broker
>>
Dividend capture is a good strategy, pocket the dividend.

Dividend capture is such a good strategy that you can bet others will use it - so why not buy even earlier and sell when the price goes above what you paid + the dividend? If the price doesn't hit your target you'll still capture the dividend.
>>
>>2466385
Dividend yield is not high enough to counter a normal fluctuation.
You have to hold the stock the day before ex date, which is the day of the annual general meeting. That's always a news day for big corporations, as the leadership will give their vision and strategy for the future. In that meeting you have all the big investors and if they like what they hear, the course goes up, if they don't it drops. And easily more than the few % you make on dividend.
Further, big investing institutions calculate the prospective dividend into their value of the stock, which means on the ex date, they will calculate the fair price lower by the yield of the dividend. But that can also be offset by a very positive AGM, for example.
For long term investments, the dividend is a good factor, for short term gambling, it won't help you.

On that topic, there were cum-cum and cum-ex scandals in Germany over the last years. Don't throw money at the market before you can read those articles (there must be some English ones), understand what the scam was and not break out in giggles when reading cum ex all the time.
>>
this sounds exactly like proof of stake coin.
>buy waves lease them and get income
>buy xem stake them and get income
>buy any PoS coin and you get your dividents

be a normie and dont get the whole crypto system and buy dividend stocks in a market and get paper fiat money for it which has no value tfw
>>
>>2468516
I'm a coiner myself, but Jesus fuck please stop bringing up crypto when crypto isn't in OPs topic. It's literal cancer.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.