[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's stopping someone from building an instagram clone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

What's stopping someone from building an instagram clone as a dApp on ethereum or something similar? There would be zero server fees and it would easily scale to support hundreds of millions of users for free.
>>
You want to store all photos on blockchain?
>>
Jesus Christ, anon. Do you ducking know anything about blockchain or ethereum?
>>
>>2453624
Sure why not? Maybe that wouldn't be possible with ethereum, but isn't that exactly what sia is doing?
>>
>>2453637
No, sia doesn't store files on the blockchain. Educate yourself.
>>
>>2453644
Where is it storing them then? They must be doing something special to get their pricing to be 1/10th the price of amazon s3.
>>
Ok, I guess they're actually storing files on users' computers and sharing via p2p sort of like bittorrent. But my question still stands. Why not build an instagram clone that uses blockhain + p2p file storage/sharing running on phones? With enough users, it would be just as fast as instagram and would easily scale.
>>
>>2453735
The problem with that is, in order to compete with centralized storage at that volume of traffic with a safe amount of redundancy, compression would have to be fucking insane to reduce traffic on a mobile device. Also, how the fuck do you index metadata attached to URIs? There would have to be a centralized index of usernames/realnames attached to URIs for that to work. Nobody is going to be able to look anyone up. You would have to share QR codes or URIs to have someone find you. This would require centralized gateways and databases, which would defeat the purpose of your idea completely.

That's why.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.