[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

$15 min wage in Ontario announced today :) http://www.toron

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

$15 min wage in Ontario announced today :)

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/29/province-to-raise-minimum-wage-update-labour-laws-tuesday-wynne
>>
"She says the minimum wage will increase to $14 an hour on Jan. 1, 2018 and will rise to $15 the following year."
>>
Besides the believe that businesses may hire less people because of this, why is this a bad (egotistical arguments of "muh job is of higher class to fast food " doesn't count).

More wages, means more spending, meaning better earnings reports. Inb4 earnings are impacted by paying higher wages. More money given to the working increases velocity of money in the economy, they don't lock it up into long term investments and trust funds. The economy grows long term.
>>
>>2232905
*belief *bad thing
>>
>>2232905
many jobs aren't worth 15$/hour
>>
>>2232905
*given to the working class

apologies for the typos
>>
>>2232854

$15 - 45% taxes = $8.25/hr
>>
>>2232905
yeah but instead it'll still mean people are going to spend their $15 minimum wage of bottles of coca cola and then coca cola will just raise the price of a bottle. i really don't see why raising the minimum wage would not cause inflation to rise.
>>
>>2232854
(((Wynne)))
>>
>>2232939
Demand pull inflation is healthy for an economy, to certain extent. It's partly the reason why interest rates are shit low in the US right now, as it's meant to encourage borrowing for spending (as well as for investment in business).
>>
>>2232961
fair enough, but to what extent. once $15 is seen as whatever the minimum wage was before, the whole process just loops all over again.
>>
i hate this dyke bitch and would celebrate in the street if someone assassinated her.
>>
File: nominalvsrealminwage_large.png (28KB, 575x480px) Image search: [Google]
nominalvsrealminwage_large.png
28KB, 575x480px
>>2232990
So, I take it you're concerned they'll increase it again? US is a good example again of how real wages (that's taking into account inflation) have actually declined and stalled. It's a central problem to do with extreme inequality that's growing in the US, and has been getting worse since the 80s (I'm not saying everyone should be equal, but it's getting ridiculously disproportionate). Increasing real wages is important to maintaining a functioning working population, because there bills keep going up in real terms, and yet their wages lag behind.
>>
$15 cad = $1 usd in 15 years
>>
>>2232930
You think people making $15/hour are paying 45% taxes? Not quite.

Though people who earn $15/hour will pay more taxes than those earning $11.40...This is ultimately another way for the government to siphon more taxes from businesses who already pay a lot of taxes, and are having more deductibles taken away from them every year.
>>
>>2232930
x exchange rate = $5 real dollars.
>>
Governor of california said as much in a speech when they raised the minimum wage. It helps bigger businesses the most who can afford to pay the wage increase. As for taxes, they increase the payroll tax on top of this at least in the U.S, so they have to fire workers.
Minwage can only get passed in cities for good reason.
>>2232905
You're assuming lots of things about the 'extra' income, what you don't count is the people they have to fire to afford the workers in the first place. The business doesn't just suddenly make more money to pay their employees, all that happens is the cost of business just went up. In order for minwage to not affect a business they would have to already be making more profit, and in that case they still can't hire more workers because of the cost.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/08/07/a-15-minimum-wage-would-cost-6-6-million-jobs-yes-6600000-jobs/#74f659bb3db7

Report from the CBO about the projected job losses. The only way to increase the wage for employees is to have them get education and move into better industries that pay more. Right now there's a shortage in the U.S for hard labor with some education jobs, these are the jobs that would improve the economy the most. Forcing a business to pay a few extra dollars for a job that is already overvalued thanks to regulation doesn't help the people, it encourages them to stay where they are, if anything.
>>
>>2233378
These are good points, but my question is is education easily accessible to everyone, everywhere in the US to move to better jobs?

infrastructure spending is good for everyone, I have no counter for there being a hard labor shortage.

And yeah businesses have to pay more, but if absolutely nothing is done to real wages to account for inflation, do you just allow the amounts to become essentially meaningless? Everything else goes up in price and yet a significant amount of the population will find that they can buy less and less.

To help businesses, don't overtax them, accommodate small business growth.
>>
>>2233504
>my question is is[if?] education easily accessible to everyone, everywhere in the US to move to better jobs?

Not necessary. Firstly, people study stuff with low economic value. Secondly, not everyone is biological capable of doing higher-level jobs
>>
>>2233378
Interesting article btw
>>
>>2232905
I'd rather trust megacorps to create wealth than the average joe earning $15/hour
>>
>>2233787
The good stuff is always hidden. I only heard about that report from listening to a late night trucking show that's been on for years. The Red Eye Radio guys are pretty conservative in their beliefs, but their logical view on politics jives with my personal beliefs.
>>2233800
Wealth creation by megacorps still depends on the individuals providing valuable services. Education still matters, the problem is always lack of talented people for high paying positions. This is my theory why they U.S has always been relatively lax on punishing border crimes: brain drain. It's a big problem in the developing world, the smarties don't want to stick around and improve the shitholes so they move to the U.S illegally or not and improve the standard of living even more. We still deport a lot of people of course, the major sticking point is to get in the decent people and deal with the sharia loving types as political pariahs.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.