[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth going to a university with a better name if you can?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: nyu.jpg (32KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
nyu.jpg
32KB, 900x900px
Is it worth going to a university with a better name if you can? Even though you'll be paying more, is the "reputation" of a university really worth the amount you pay?

Also, opinions on NYU?
>>
>>2101582
Depends but mostly no. It might matter for your first job but after that employers tend not to give a shit where you went to school or what your grades were, they care about actual job performance. For someone like me it matters even less because I'm a premed student and med schools don't care where undergrad as long as the grades are high. That's why I go to a state school in a place with good weather and pretty women. It's cheaper than a 55k/yr private school and there are far fewer liberal faggots.

I know nothing about nyu but it's in nyc so I'm guessing it's expensive as shit and liberals make life miserable
>>
>>2101582
There's a study on that: http://www.nber.org/papers/w7322.pdf

The answer is: Not really. Your performance matters more than the name of your university
>>
>>2101663
>>2101667
Thanks boys, people harp on about /connections/ but lets be real, all the people you will want to making connections with will be pissed drunk half the time.
>>
>>2101832
Wrong.

I go to NYU and I only drink with friends. All of my other connections through university I met through project and start ups.

NYU is great if you put in work at the engineering school. If you go to Stern or CAS you will be competing for jobs engineers get easily.

My starting salary is 93,000 including over time. Work weeks are about 40-42.
>>
>>2101582
Hey I go to NYU, I'm happy to answer any questions about it. It really is such a shit investment if you pay full price, I have a full ride but I know people who are taking out 68,000 dollar loans every year. I am not in finance but the name brand of NYU can really carry weight, my freshman year I got a 15$ an hour internship with housing, the connections are totally worth it if you meet people, especially out of the college in the city.
>>
yes.

literally the only thing 99.999% of the people in your life will ask you about your college experience is "where did you go?"
>>
>>2101832

This guy is right,
>>2102464
connections aren't made with other students they're with actual adults working in the city
>>
>>2102576
I've always been an autist and did will in high school which reflected on my SAT's but I'm not sure i'll get a full ride to any university, never mind NYU. I was thinking about taking a gap year to work on my ideas for the year. Would you recommend that, becasue if it pays off, it'll be good to have when applying to these universities... I say that becasue apparently they love extra curricular shit, especially if it relates to the major you want. Or am I wrong.

Thanks for contributing man.
>>
>>2102618
Gap years are becoming trendy, but I highly recommend against it unless you are 1000000% sure in your aspirations and have a turbocharged motivation, as a 1 year gap in academia from HS to Uni can cause people to drop like a rock in many facets. There are a few, however, who legitimately do something meaningful within the gap year, but take in mind, it's a large risk.
>>
>>2102618

I pretty much agree with this >>2102771
I wanted to take a gap year but it's is a lot of time to have off and without set goals it can slip away and you've spent a year doing absolutely fucking nothing. If you have a schedule, a job, and an actual goal of what you want to do during your gap year, go for it. And so many smart people I know go to a lesser school that offered them better aid and then study their ass off and transfer somewhere better with great aid.
>>
>>2101582
NYU Courant wanted me to join their applied math department for graduate school, I didn't go because I really wasn't into what the professors were researching. I'm more of an experimentalist myself. If I wanted a comfy high paying job I should have joined but that's not really a priority of mine
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.