[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 30, the most valuable thing that I have on my side is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1485195811592.jpg (847KB, 800x1111px) Image search: [Google]
1485195811592.jpg
847KB, 800x1111px
I'm 30, the most valuable thing that I have on my side is time. If I were to take out a $25,000 loan, invest it in a roth IRA and pay the monthly loan and contribute to the ammount won't I be better off in the long run when i retire due to compounding interest? Can anyone see anything wrong with leveraging my time like this?
>>
>>2079118

In the technical sense, this would stand a good chance of working out, assuming your interest rate is low enough compared to expected value of investment growth.

But for a substantial number of people, if they borrowed $25K to buy stocks and the market tanked, they would panic and end up selling low. And a substantial number of the rest would at least pay for it in ulcers and worry.

A somewhat similar technique, but less return and also less worrisome, would be to invest monthly in your IRA as usual but invest the funds into something like ProShares Ultra S&P500 (SSO). (Note that it doesn't precisely track 2 times the S&P in the long run, but it is somewhat close.)

Me, I'd start getting worried at around a leverage of 140% or so at 30, but I'm a cautious guy.
>>
ITT: someone who doesn't know the interest rate a bank would charge him on an unsecured personal loan
>>
>>2079440

Well, he didn't say unsecured, but if so, you'd be making a good point.
>>
>>2079470
No one with any actual assets would ask such a faggy question, so much assumption is pretty safe...
>>
>>2079547
You make asking and learning about finance so much fun.
>>
File: oS3Qd2AZZ-620x396.png (364KB, 620x396px) Image search: [Google]
oS3Qd2AZZ-620x396.png
364KB, 620x396px
>>2079636
>>
>>2079659
Can you explain a little further on why this wouldn't work?
>>
>>2079687

interest is gonna be yuuuge on your personal loan dingus

only way to make it worthwhile is to overleverage yourself a ton and then get fucked at any bumps in the market
>>
>>2079118
Just buy cdos
>>
File: Screenshot_20170515-061907.png (232KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170515-061907.png
232KB, 1440x2560px
>>2079687
Interest rates on an unsecured loan are going to be in the double digits. You're basically print it on a credit card. Mathematically this could work out if returns were higher than the interest paid, but then you only get to keep the residual, which would be razor thin.

I agree with the earlier poster. Skip this and focus on hitting your 5k annual IRA contribution limit. If you have 401ks from previous jobs, roll them over to get a kick start. If you have an extra $25 or $50, throw that in there every month too. Keep it spread over a set of indeed funds and forget about it for three decades.

Check out a chart of what the growth would look like. Pic related is 400/month for 30 years.
>>
>>2080624
Fucking autocorrect.
> You're basically putting it on a credit card...
> Spread it over a set of index funds...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.