[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /biz/. Just turned 24. I invest 7% of my income into a 401k

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1365630360662.jpg (96KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1365630360662.jpg
96KB, 500x667px
Hi /biz/. Just turned 24. I invest 7% of my income into a 401k with a diversified portfolio of a few low fee mutual funds. The rest of my savings ($16k) is in a checking account earning fuck all. I'm currently making $56k pre tax and will be making $70-75k within the month.

What is a wise way to invest? Should I put more/less into my 401k? Consider an IRA/Roth IRA? How much of my savings should be invested? And most importantly, invest in what? I'm thinking sticking to index/low fee mutual funds and of course diversifying heavily. I'm very new to this and am looking for some advice; please, no crypto shilling, I am looking for a safe, consistent investment that will allow me to retire in 35-40 years. I will probably be buying a house within 5 years. Currently considering just opening an account with Fidelity or something and putting $10k into it. Any advice is appreciated.
>>
>investment that will allow me to retire in 35-40 years

why even bother if you have to wait that long, and you probably have to save like hell aswell

buy crypto or remain a wagecuck you massive nigger faggot
>>
>>2076285
I actually enjoy my job and find it fulfilling you NEET loser. I'd probably lose my mind if I just stopped working right now. There are only so many movies and youtube documentaries out there to watch
>>
I opened a Mutual Fund when I was 18. It was my grandmother's high school graduation gift to me and she put a few thousand into it to get me started. I wish I could go back and close it sooner and put it into, literally anything else. Any of the things you listed will give you a bigger return than a Mutual Fund.

When you buy your house, look into a duplex or any place you can rent out. Millennials don't want to own homes and a large % don't intend to buy in the future, according to (((statistics))). Rentals aren't going away regardless if they do anyways. Just giving you ideas other than the obvious: go with crypto.
>>
>>2076293
Absolutely going to rent my house/duplex/whatever out when I get it. I'm just looking for a reasonably safe investment to park my money in until I can afford real estate and will likely pull my money out of index funds when I need to to pay for the mortgage. I would buy into crypto but I really don't feel like managing my money so actively and it is too volatile for me to feel comfortable putting more than 10% or so of my portfolio into it.
>>
>>2076310
Keep in mind you get taxed out the ass when you cash out or close your accounts. Just figure that in to your calculations to make sure it's worth it since it sounds like you're holding some short term for a property.

10% is safe for crypto. You don't have to manage it daily if you research what you're putting your money into and plan for long term holding. It's just basic news updates, etc... that you keep up with just like you would for your other investments, then making the best educated guess to work what you have in your favor. NEETs on here will give you anxiety over pump and dumps and their day trading tactics but it doesn't have to be that way.
>>
>>2076310
You could invest in REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) in the meantime. You'll probably be making less than a full landlord due to management fees, but it'll still get you a piece of the real-estate pie in the meantime.

Also, buy some ETH. Doesn't have to be a lot, because the growth potential in the platform is extremely high in the long-term.
>>
File: 1490059516862.jpg (185KB, 515x491px) Image search: [Google]
1490059516862.jpg
185KB, 515x491px
>>2076256
Whoa are you me OP? Right now I'm making 80k and maxing my 401k at 18k and HSA at 3k. If you can you should try to get a HSA. Reasons for maxing:
1. You will pay slightly less in income tax and no tax on investments.
2. Companies match does not contribute to your total.

What I'm planning on doing is using the rest of my savings to save up for a distressed house, convert to duplex, live in half, rent the other and pay off the mortgage fast. Then buy another duplex, repeat until I have like five or six rental properties then retire at 35! Going to keep those savings in index/mutual funds until I can afford the down payment.
>>
>there are people who unironically believe fiat currency will have any value 40 years from now
>>
>>2076507
OP here, I have an HSA but stopped contributing to it because I literally have not had any doctors/dentists visits that I had to pay out of pocket for since, well, ever. I have like $300 in there now and will probably get fucked when I inevitably break my leg doing something stupid, but I'm just hoping that won't happen :^)

High deductible health insurance plan btw
>>
File: advanced_faggotry.jpg (23KB, 217x208px) Image search: [Google]
advanced_faggotry.jpg
23KB, 217x208px
>>2076256
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.