[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ivy League Success?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: pbQpG5E.jpg (148KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pbQpG5E.jpg
148KB, 1920x1080px
Hi biz,

So brief description: I'm a high school senior (yes I'm 18, cucks). I did a lot of meaningless shit and scored high on meaningless tests, and now there's a realistic chance I'll get admission into an Ivy League or similar college. Now that you've heard my shitty little backstory, here's where I need your advice. If I do get in to one, what is the best way to launch myself to lots of money?

I work hard. I have ideas and can actually fucking implement them. I know that these schools have incredibly lucrative connections. How can I use all this to get money?
>>
>How to use connections and prestigious credentials to get money

If you need /biz/ to explain this to you then you probably should re-evaluate those test scores.
>>
Short answer: pretty much this: >>1556324
If you have to ask, your capacity is in question.

Not only that, but you don't mention any specific field of interest/work you're interested in, just "ideas" that are unspecified. This hints that at something even more worrisome: that you may be yet another blank slate without a defined purpose or strong identity in life aside from a vague idea riches and success (which is pretty much par for course with everyone in this generation).

I'm inclined to take a wild guess and say that you were raised being repeatedly told about the overwhelming importance of getting into a good college (preferably Ivy), making strong connections, and getting a good job afterwards, but weren't often told to consider what exactly do you want to do in life or who you should be?

And yes; it matters. It is definitively important. No one likes fakes.
>>
>>1556324
Test scores measure my critical thinking, logical ability, and English skills. Not my knowledge of the world. Pretending to know more than they do is the downfall of half the teenage faggots like me.

I'm aware that I'll probably see opportunities as they come, and capitalize on them. But I like to be prepared.
I want to know what to chase after. What jobs are great for Ivy grads? What organizations will I have access to that will best help me?
>>
>>1556344
Nah, my parents were pretty relaxed. I just have a lot of ambition. And yes, I have dreams of success, like 90% of millennials, but I have the drive and determination to implement them.

I know what I love to do- I'm a writer. But I'm not the generic idiot who thinks I'll be a one in a million success story, and so I need a job that will give me enough wealth to freely do what I love.

Goddamnit biz, do I have to spend this whole thread defending my personal character? I just want to talk about opportunities that top colleges generate.
>>
File: logo-hammers.jpg (72KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
logo-hammers.jpg
72KB, 600x600px
>>1556345

>Not my knowledge of the world.

You took enough AP classes to have a taste of what's coming kiddo.

>Pretending to know more than they do is the downfall of half the teenage faggots like me.

No, being a pretentious, preening faggot is the downfall of half the teenage faggots like you. The comes in "I know everything" and "I militantly know nothing even though I know stuff" forms.

>I'm aware that I'll probably see opportunities as they come, and capitalize on them.

So you do have a functioning brain.

>But I like to be prepared.

Consult a psychic.

>I want to know what to chase after.

Like every 18 year old. Good thing college is for finding yourself.

>What jobs are great for Ivy grads?

All the ones that pay six figures.

>What organizations will I have access to that will best help me?

This one I'll actually tell you about. At state colleges they call them Fraternities and Sororities. At Ivy League schools they call them Eating Clubs.

>>1556352

>Goddamnit biz, do I have to spend this whole thread defending my personal character?

This is 4chan. Average posts call you a faggot. Good posts call you a faggot while telling you what you want to know. Great posts convince you to demonstrate your faggotry to the world.

>I'm a writer

Writing isn't a one in a million success story, few people who decide that they want to write can be assed to finish their book, make it through rejections, and then sit through the tedious editing process. If you want to write then get some life experience and develop a thick skin is my advice.

>I just want to talk about opportunities that top colleges generate.

K.

The average college grad makes 35k a year starting.

Most frat bros and sorority girls I know started around 65k and hope to be promoted to six figures within 3 years.

Your average Ivy Leaguer skips right to six figures.
>>
File: 1451308942094.png (571KB, 904x720px) Image search: [Google]
1451308942094.png
571KB, 904x720px
>>1556352
Because character is absolutely tied to what one does and how one does it.

If I asked anyone who got into an Ivy League, they tend to say something identical to what you just said: "I have the drive and determination to implement [my ideas/dreams]." It's a common refrain. Top tier universities and the accompanying culture shock knocks quite a few people off though, particularly when they realize they're not shit anymore and literally half of the people on campus are smarter and more capable than them. I would; I was the same, then I got there and I crashed my first two years from the pressure.

And even if I didn't doubt your capacity for working hard, the character issue is still there. You want to be a writer? What's stopping you? The immediate drive for money? You have a whole life ahead of you, 60 years plus. There will more than enough time for money. Why does it have to be ~now~?

Trust me, because I've been there: the rat race is overrated. You're better off figuring out who you are as a person, making friends who you're happy with, determine what it is you truly want from life, enjoy your younger years while you can, and go from there.

...though if you don't care about this and insist upon money now, then fine, I'll throw in what I learned.

I'm just trying to help you avoid the two-year mistake I made when I was in your position: I stumbled not knowing who I was, bought into the dream of MONEY/POWER NOW (provided by Wall Street recruiters, particularly Credit Suisse), crashed and burned when I realized it wasn't who I was/what I wanted, then put myself together and pursued what I enjoyed. I'll make money in due time, but I'll experience life a bit first.
>>
>>1556401
>>1556413
Genuinely, thank you guys. This is some good shit. I understand I probably have several misconceptions, and could use a bit of a wake up call. Which, I guess, is why I made this thread.

I do have the drive to be an author. I'm in the editing phase of an anthology of short sci-fi stories right now. I plan to start by self-publishing for a few years, and then, as my skills and experience grow, finding an agent and getting published by bigger companies.

On a slightly tangential, but related thought, anybody know anything about online entrepreneurship in one of these environments? Web startups are a big interest of mine, and I think that a university like this might be great place to learn the necessary skills and meet the necessary people to create something good.

Thanks for these, especially the bit about fraternity connections and the anecdote about your situation. This is the kind of useful information that I was looking for.
>>
File: 1475416009302.jpg (57KB, 482x549px) Image search: [Google]
1475416009302.jpg
57KB, 482x549px
>>1556480
That's a better attitude. Though I suggest holding off against self-publishing; market is saturated because of the Internet. Everyone thinks they can write now, but to be bluntly honest, most can't.

I'll keep the anecdote of my own situation short:
I was one of the smarter kids in my entire high school; wrote a 40-page thesis and defended it before a panel of teachers as part of an honors program, got into a top school, etc. I thought I was hot shit.
Then I arrived at my university, and quickly came to realize that almost everyone else was as impressive as I was, if not more so. They worked or volunteered during their summers, they just knew more, they studied more, they did more sports, they seemed more sure of what they were doing, etc. All I had was a general idea of what I wanted, so I was knocked off my feet (so to speak) and kinda stumbled around trying to figure out what EXACTLY I wanted to do.
Tempted into finance; courtesy of the predatory nature of Wall Street recruiters who want smart/ambitious young kids and promise them wealth, intellectually stimulating work, etc., but after a sophomore year internship, I quickly realized it was a bit too Darwinian for me, and that I didn't really like it.
Realized my own interests were more political and security oriented (with a touch of interest in technology and international development). Pursued that, got a think tank internship junior year (with help from a fraternity alumnus), enjoyed it, and went down that path. Now I'm at a separate think tank, working abroad (great resume builder, particularly since it's a non-Western country), editing a journal put out by the institution, learning a foreign language (again, resume builder) and on my free time doing research. Maybe put a book out in a year or so, depending if I can a certain important someone to write a foreword for me.

(cont).
>>
>>1556586
Anyways, onto the general.

Developing connections and networking tend to be a key activity in college. This occurs literally everywhere (classes, dormitories, sports, club activities, parties, religious community on campus, guest speaker, etc). People will bond over literally anything, so long as there is a shared interest/experience.

Typically, though, this occurs in clubs/activities particularly if they're specialized groups. You can trust that kids in the Investing club want to go to Wall Street or management consulting, for example. Startup clubs and entrepreneurship initiatives guys want to build their own thing, often as soon as possible.

Fraternities are a bit more advanced. Generally, you have to go through the pledging process to get in (with all the associated unpleasantness, which depends on the precise fraternity you're joining) and membership dues (again, depends on the exact fraternity, and be expensive. These often serve to keep poorer kids away, though no one will admit it). Once you're in though, it's a rather large network of brothers and contacts, and most valuable of all, the alumni, who tend to be everywhere and inclined to offer opportunities. As a bonus: parties and social events.

Anything else?
>>
What the hell does an average chad study? I have no idea, I'm from Finland.

>average college graduate makes 35k

What kind of jobs are those? I mean what do they in their average work day? Engineers make more than that but I think engineers represent pretty small % of college grads in the grand picture. What kind of job do you get if you didn't major in stem, which is majority of people.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.