[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice /biz/ My father passed away not too long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1489216824627.jpg (14KB, 263x263px) Image search: [Google]
1489216824627.jpg
14KB, 263x263px
I need some advice /biz/

My father passed away not too long ago, leaving behind a nice inheritance of debt. I'm 27, work full time, don't have a huge social life although I do hang out with my girlfriends friends a lot, most of mine have moved away. So I spend a lot of my time scheming and working on ways to supplement my income on the side. I love my job, but I don't make enough money doing it to get by with this debt looming over me. I build cigar box guitars and sell them on craigslist, and it helps some, but takes up a lot of my time. I also flip gaming systems and games on ebay, but that requires me coming out of pocket for an un-guaranteed return. I'm also slowly trying to acquire crypto and hoard it, but it's hard to justify when I have my fathers debts that I need to pay off first.

I have been playing guitar since I was 12, and acquired a nice collection of equipment, but I have since sold off almost everything to pay bills. Since I still enjoy making music, I turned to making it on my computer instead, hoping I could scratch the music itch and make a few dollars every few weeks to help out. I just can't get enough traffic, downloads, or purchases to make it worth it right now.

I'm trying to save up enough money to get a MIDI controller, as it would make this a lot easier. In the mean time, I would like any and all constructive criticism on how I could improve the music I'm making and how I could reach more people with it. Right now I'm struggling to market it correctly, and I'm not sure its visually pleasing. Any and all advice on how to reach a broader audience and pull in more sales would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my music: https://lordvito.bandcamp.com/album/lord-vito-s-t

If you'd like to donate to my midi controller fund, here is my ETH wallet. Leave your (throwaway) email and I'll write, make, and upload a song just for you.

0xA062ACB0E843993A2259B708eaBAA5f5222D31ea

Thank you in advance for the advice.
>>
>>1958869
If you want a brand new midi and are in the UK. I have one and I'll give it to you for cheap because i never use it it's the akai mini mpk or whatever it's called
>>
>>1958873
I've been looking at the mini's. They seem to be a great tool for the price. Unfortunately I am across the pond. I do appreciate the kind offer though.
>>
File: 1447522870145.jpg (32KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1447522870145.jpg
32KB, 350x350px
ever tried suckin' DIK
>>
File: 1487552845083.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1487552845083.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>1958878
trying to avoid letting it get that far
>>
Given that the majority of people in 4chan on western boards are in the US, I am going to assume that you are from the US. If that's true, debt doesn't inherit. If your father died and they are harrassing you, call them and say you'll sue them based on debt inheritance.
>>
>>1958886
I agree with you, however I co-signed on loans with him when I was in college. Terrible mistake on my part. I didn't foresee the possibility of it ruining my life 6 years later.
>>
>>1958892
Shame, how much disposable income do you have left to invest in the music?

Do you pay minimum on the debts?

Is it just one company or multiple?
I'd offer them a one time payment

Say 40k of a 60k debt. That's all you can afford, yada.

Take my advice with a grain of salt tho, it's possible it won't apply to you
>>
>>1958898
I have no disposable income. I live paycheck to paycheck. I'm paying the minimum on all debts currently. It's 3 total. One of which I haven't even touched the principal on, because the minimum is all I can afford month to month. I've run out of stuff to sell so that's why I turned to music, it gives me something to sell
>>
>>1958907
Where do you live again? Is it possible you are willing to split a room with someone?
Debt is something fierce, and it looks like you don't have a lot of options.
Or do you live with your girlfriend?
What's your expenses with your girlfriend and her friends, possible you guys eat out too much?

If you want to deviate towards your music business, you really need to consider what your expenses are, to float with your debt and breathing room. Big city or rural?
>>
>>1958892
> I co-signed on loans with him when I was in college
then it's not your father's debt you inherited you fucking moron, it was yours to begin with
>>
>>1958926
I obviously get that, no need to be rude about it

>>1958917
I live in the US. Gf and I share an apartment. We always cook at home unless its a special occasion. We buy meat from the local college's meat science department and vegetables from their garden to help save on grocery costs. I live in a college town. I wouldn't call it large at all, but its far from rural.
>>
>>1958869
I was in a similar situation OP. I'd donate to help you out but I don't have much crypto yet. Just keep your head up and keep grinding. You'll make it out of this
>>
Terrible investment
99% of musicians can't even make a living off it.
>>
File: 1487394657119.jpg (97KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1487394657119.jpg
97KB, 550x512px
>>1958992
Thanks man. I work very hard and I hate asking for advice, and especially hate asking for handouts. I'm just so sick and tired of spinning my tires and not getting anywhere. I fucked up and I've learned from it, I'm just tired of feeling like a failure. I want to provide the best life possible for my girlfriend and myself, I just can't get ahead with this looming over me. Selling music is my last idea before I swallow the last of my pride and do things I wont be proud of down the road
>>
>>1958996
I know. I'm just scrambling to find ANYWAY POSSIBLE to supplement income. This doesn't cost me anything currently, so I have nothing to lose except time (granted that time could be better spent making money in other ways, i just don't know what else to try). I've been reading up on how to trade cryptos, and have been using bittrex for a few weeks. I just feel like I'm risking losing what little bit of liquidity I have left. It's only $100 or so, and after transferring it back to my wallet, I'm losing money
>>
File: 1490475545439.jpg (48KB, 492x449px) Image search: [Google]
1490475545439.jpg
48KB, 492x449px
>>1958869
>cheap ass parents can literally give you debt after they're dead

Kinda wanna kill them now desu
>>
>>1959676
OP voluntarily co-signed a loan
>>
Yeah man u got some cool bass lines and chords. Catchy Melodies.

I would say to experiment with automation on your instruments, if you're gonna repeat material make it different each time. You know make it go somewhere. Fuck with the LFOs. IDK much about electronic music tho. Not tryna appropriate your area of expertise.

Another possible suggestion is to use different progressions in each song. You're jamming on the same chords for the entire thing. Again, go somewhere, maybe have the beat drop into a different groove.

Ruthie is a cool song.

As for a midi controller I bet you could rent one for a month or two for like 20 bucks at a doo wop shop. Or whatever similar store they have in Texas.

Coinbase is fucken gay and I have to wait until the 17 to get my ETH. But if I remember I might throw you a few bucks.
Keep it up anon! Keep working hard it sounds like you're on the right track.
Condolences for your father.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.