[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/ My friend is an accountant at the engineering firm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1483141982829.jpg (354KB, 1920x1167px) Image search: [Google]
1483141982829.jpg
354KB, 1920x1167px
Hey /biz/

My friend is an accountant at the engineering firm I work at. I was going to do some renovations on my house (mostly finishing my basement). He told me to start my own consulting company and turn my basement into an "office" and I all the money I put into renos will give me a major tax break.

Is this true? It seems almost too easy.
>>
>>1958721
Yes this is true.
>>
>>1958801
So that's it? I just dissolve my company after a couple years when my basement is finished?
>>
>>1958882
It'd really be better if your "consulting firm" showed some income and/or employees.
>>
>>1958882

Yep.

Once the basement is finished try calling your friend.

Dont call again if he doesn't pick up.
>>
>>1958882

>I just dissolve my company after a couple years when my basement is finished?

If you do that then how are you going to expense your vehicle travel and supply purchases?
>>
>>1958721
I'm pretty sure you'd need to meet at least a few requirements to do it and not get dicked by the IRS afterwards.

For a part of your home to qualify for business use, it has to be used exclusively and regularly for conducting business.

You also need to show some kind of profit otherwise the IRS will reclassify your business as a hobby, meaning no deductions.

If you manage to pass as a business though you can also deduct other things besides the cost of your renovations. Things like utilities, landscaping, snow removal.

The problem with your idea of dissolving your business after a few years is that leasehold improvements, your renovations, are depreciated over 15 years. So if you wanted the full benefit of the deduction you'd have to keep up your business for a decade and a half.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.