[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>team from different department cocked up a project spectacularly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: keep-calm-and-stay-pumped-14.png (42KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
keep-calm-and-stay-pumped-14.png
42KB, 600x700px
>team from different department cocked up a project spectacularly
>basically burned through half of a 4 year project achieving jack shit
>major damage control reverberating throughout company over the last two weeks
>even the CEO getting involved personally, long heated meetings, failed team leader getting grilled
>head of my department (boss of my boss) says that he can save the project on the condition that the new team leader will be line managed by him and the project transferred to his department
>everyone agrees to this
>learn details on Tuesday morning as the head of department calls me to his office
>offers me the job of leading the project (12 people under me, £500k budget, salary going from £44,800 to £59,400)
>sign the contract on Friday

Starting in my new position in 9 hours and 30 minutes.

I spent all weekend going through project materials and will be meeting the team (I know a couple of them) first thing in the morning.

Any last minute advice?
>>
>>1923633
You cannot show weakness, blood is still fresh in the water and sharks will be looking for the next meal.
>>
>>1923633
you gotta have the right mindset.

the manager's job is to get the job done, he just has human resources to do it. you can't blame anyone for the job not getting done because it's all on you.

make sure your team can put up with you.
>>
>>1923633
Do your best, but you also should polish your resume. This kinda shit is pretty much make or break. If it's hopeless you want to abandon ship before you get scapegoated.
>>
>>1923633
>Any last minute advice?

Don't fuck it up.

Do a good job so you will be company hero.
>>
>>1923633
salary seems kinda low for the level of responsibility
also functioning as some sort of "management", you'll probably be expected to do overtime as required to get the project done on time
will you get reimbursed for that?

i would've negotiated for more, even tho a 14.5k raise is nice
>>
Hope you know Microsoft project manager
>>
Buy kneepads
>>
>>1923633

Pic related.

It's a marathon not a sprint. Just calmly lead and continually make sure good things are being done in a timely fashion.

Trust your people, let them make a mistake or two before coming down on them. Bringing heat on a subordinate is a last resort. First see how you can help them do what they need to do to make the project survive.

After that if you have absolute dead weight, then fire them. No sympathy.
>>
>>1923633

>12 people to manage a four year project

Jesus christ. . . . millennials are pussies.

I've managed two year projecs completely by myself. A four year project should take three people max.

>fucking millennials
>>
>>1924084
>literally not managing anyone

Sure showed him, grandpa.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.