[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-reported uncontested over time and I'm an intern.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1484411672664.jpg (519KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1484411672664.jpg
519KB, 1920x1200px
Self-reported uncontested over time and I'm an intern.

So I see my boss maybe once a month and there are no other interns at this firm and I work about 2 hours a week max. This firm has no set hours and nobody talks to me or knows when I show up or leave.

I get paid standard for 40 hours a week and have self-reported monthly overtime at 1.5x my hourly pay.

How high should I go with this? What are the risks? Right now I'm saying about 1-1.5 hours extra a day, or about 23 per month ( meaning exactly 4 weeks). This is a significant chunk of unchecked money on a roughly 75k salary's worth already but in wages.

Should I go higher?
>>
>>1919490
never get greedy anon. that is how i catch most criminals, they get greedy and stand out. slow and steady wins the race
>>
>>1919490
>2 hours a week max
>roughly 75k salary's worth already
>Right now I'm saying about 1-1.5 hours extra a day
So anon, what you are saying is:
>work 8per month
>report 31
>end up with 75k a year
>i kinda want more
>so /biz/ should i exaggerate further?
amirite?
>>
>>1919632
I am paid to work 40 hours a week. That means I'm in the office at least that much time. In addition to that, I put myself down for about 1-1.5 hours of overtime per day. I was saying there's only about 2 hours of actual work to be done in a given week, but I'm in the office for at least 40 by my own choice and claiming even more.

Is that clear now?

>>1919599
This makes sense. You understand my situation.

The thing is I am supposed to be paid for overtime, and it's self-reported, so I just try to keep it reasonable but I'm not sure what that is.

I think 1-1.5 hours a day is pretty reasonable though.
>>
>>1920214
Reported you to your boss Steve
>>
Bump

>>1921388
Not Steve my man
>>
>>1920214
Your boss doesnt give a shit and is rich or hes retarded? Or is it both im not sure
Add more hours desu. Id say a minimum of 50 hour weeks, 10 hours overtime each week. While youre at it ask for a small raise
>>
>>1921861
Raises in this business are done automatically based on how many exams I complete. So there is no reason or purpose to ask for one.

The boss cares I think, but he's just super busy so I never see him, ever.

I'm worried about adding more hours in case I cause attention and get in trouble. I'm new-ish here, only been here 4 months now.
>>
>>1919490
What job do you do. I'd love to do a job where I can work remotely but I hate coding or anything related to computer science.
>>
>>1921875
Actuary
>>
>>1919490

You need to find out if your boss has it in is KPIs to keep his staff costs low. If the cost of his staff in regards to overtime is something that he needs to control, then I wouldn't fuck around with it as at some point he's going to look at the overtime you're charging and then have a think about how much actual work you've done to deserve that. There might be a difficult conversation in store for you down the track. He may not have noticed the overtime charges because potentially he only looks at it once or twice a year for reporting purposes, once he looks you might be fucked.

If you getting paid overtime has nothing to do with him then you've probably got a lot more leeway. The thing I've learnt in the corporate environment is that a lot of the time your manager doesn't really give a shit what you do most of the time. Most people don't really want to manage staff and everyone is usually too busy to keep tabs on everyone else (especially interns).

I was in a similar position to you at the company I was working at, was in there 40 hours a week but was probably doing 10 hours a week of actual work because it was more effort than it was worth for people to actually give me tasks to do.

Honestly, 75K to do nothing is pretty amazing as it is. Why take the risk?
>>
>>1921881
Yeah everyone here is salaried except for me. I'm the bottom of the totem pole, the "internship with no end date but we'll hire him eventually," if you will.

Exactly what you said, it's more effort for people to give me tasks. So I make sure to tell people always "Hey I have some time if you have any project I can help with" and make sure they know I'm ready to help.
>>
>>1919490
It is not about the amount of overtime work but the justification for it. If one day you sit down with HR and they go "Anon, why did you stay for an extra hour every day?" you are fucked. Overtime is connected to the work you need to do and your time report needs to reflect that. Put down overtime each week but put it only to 1-2 random days and write yourself some notes about what you were doing that week in case someone asks. It doesn't have to be airtight but enough to satisfy someone random asker.
>>
>>1921925
Hmm because it's consulting I have to specify what I was doing for how many hours each day in my monthly report, but most of it is "Misc." and I usually take a task that took a few hours if I got one and spread it over multiple days so it doesn't look as bad. Because Misc. could be literally anything.

I can also justify it with "oh well I helped X my coworker on the project for Y company and was reviewing the tests we ran to make sure they added up. Also I was asked to review a VBA macro we have to see why it was running so slowly and if we could improve it. It's not something I can bill to any particular company but it should help our work with Y company next week when we rerun those cash flow tests."

This is good advice for me though, thanks.
I will write the notes like you said.
>>
>>1921930
Yeah exactly like that. Running tests and scripting can easily stretch into overtime so it's a safe excuse and shows enthusiasm. I think as long as you don't get greedy you will be fine.
>>
>>1922030
Ok Thanks
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.