[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If college is a meme and a waste of time, then how does one come

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: download.jpg (5KB, 409x122px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 409x122px
If college is a meme and a waste of time, then how does one come up in life?

Pic related is a $2000 dollar gun I want
>>
>>1918944
Entrepreneurship.
Let me tell you a little open secret that wageslaves can't seem to grasp. When you work for someone else, at most they will pay you 20% of the value you produce, what is actually billed to the client. Thats the maximum for top professionals, unless you're one of a kind doctor/etc... The other 80% goes into the owner's pocket, and after fees it comes out to a good 50% clean profit.
>>
Create a service that people want and get them to pay money for it
>>
>>1918947
>>1918950
I get that, but what skills can be obtained without college?
>>
>>1918962
The same ones that can be gained with college

Exceptions: Anything medical related
>>
>>1918962
The most important skill you can have is being able to spot an opportunity, and then have the balls to capitalize on it. E.g. buy a bunch of stuff for a low price, ship it to Amazon and sell for a higher price (for amazin the multiplier should be at least 3x due to their fees). That usually comes from life experience... by life experience I dont mean passively sitting on your ass and hoping you get inspired through osmosis. I mean getting out there and trying to do shit that makes you money.
>>
>>1918944
College is not a waste of time for everyone, it was just touted as the only path to success for the last few decades
>>
>>1918981
I guess thats where a investing truly shines. I'm a wagecuck currently and I'm tired of being broke. Don't want to go to college in the current sociopolitical climate. Not to mention it seems fishy due to it constantly being pushed on youth as a Panacea to all financial ills.

I was debating getting intot the trades but it seems like a good ol boys club that certain people can get into.

Id like to go to medical but I cant imagine being in school 8 to 10 goddamn years.
>>
>>1918988
Did you go to college? If so, for what?
>>
>>1918993
Join the army from Texas. Get post 9/11 and hazlewood act for college. Figure your life out while your there just pick a job with a 3year contract or a job doing somethi g you think sounds good
>>
Funny enough is guns are actually a solid asset. They're rock bottom prices right now and the value will double as soon as some autistic bullied fucknut with a bad haircut shoots up some kids again.

I don't think i've ever had a single gun that's went down in value except a shitty Ruger 22/45 that had a piece break and had to send to Ruger.
>>
>meme

Calling things a meme is a meme.

>how does one come up in life

If you're talking about economic class then one just makes money. College gives you the opportunity to move up financially and socially. Moving up socially gives you better economic opportunities, but only if you can successfully mimic the mannerisms of the class that you are joining.
>>
>>1918962
Real estate my boy
>>
>>1918977
This. We literally live in the age of information. Nearly anything a college teaches you can learn on your own with some hard work. Internet is a great resource for learning, librarys are also good. There is no reason to claim ignorance if you really set your mind to something.
>>
>>1918944

I started as an apprentice in a steam fitters union in wash dc, busted my ass for 6 years out in the field. Eventually management noticed and brought me into the office to be an estimator. They then taught me how to sketch HVAC systems. Now I'm head of the coordination department.

Our base hourly wage is 39.53. I've negotiated 8$ above scale, and week vacation.

I plan on starting my own company soon, and have been cultivating relationships with all of the contractors/engineers so that one day I can steal them from who I currently work for.
>>
>>1918996
Computer science
>>
>>1918944
that is an ugly fucking gun. you could do a lot better for $2000. I just got a Mac-10 for $750 at a local gun show.
>>
>>1918944
I really want one of those Ruger precision rifles.
>>
>>1918944
College isn't a waste unless you do some or all of the following:

Go to an expensive out of state/private school.
Fail to pursue a marketable degree.
Fail to network.
Fail to finish.

Everyone is going to shit on this but funnily enough they were probably not able to hack it in college (which is fine it isn't for everyone just like trades aren't.) However, a college graduate statistically earns more than a non college graduate.

This board has a hard on for "just start a business bro" but let's be realistic most people myself included don't have the drive or the wherewithal to work the 80hrs a week busting your ass to get the business off the ground and even then it isn't guaranteed to succeed.

I chose the route of finding a niche in database design. I'm at the point where I could quit my job and have one lined up in a week. Call me a wagecuck but I make good money and feel like an asset where I go and after I do my time I'm free to let it all go and do what I want. Don't expect that kind of freedom in starting out a business.

College isn't required to succeed but it's safer than many alternatives.
>>
>>1918944
Up until about 2008 it wasn't a meme. It was the best way to get up the ladder but now days with all the outsourcing and automation theres less jobs to go around. That and due to the universities turning into profit machines they pushed everyone to go to college and get into debt when they knew most would never find suitable employment.

College isn't the guarantee it used to be.
>>
File: IMG_1588.jpg (46KB, 480x319px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1588.jpg
46KB, 480x319px
>>1919019
>Ruger
>breaking
EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!!!!
>>
>>1918944
College is not a fucking meme. This board is just a bunch of toxic NEET dropouts who neither learnt anything nor socialized during their college attempts.

https://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm
>>
>>1918944
why buy that piece of shit when an AUG is cooler and only $1300
>>
>>1919349
Cuz I hate bullpups and the Vector is way sexier
>>
>>1918944
Avoid meme degrees, online-only schools, and schools that advertise on tv/radio constantly (ITT, Phoenix, etc) and its not so bad
>>
>>1919342
bls is so inaccurate it's not even funny.
>>
>>1918944
No college is not a meme. I went to a state school and managed to get a job at a major company. The first job wasn't necessarily in something I wanted to do, but within six months I transferred into a different role and got a nice raise to go with it.
>>
certificates. Tech, Nursing, Etc... Then maybe get a degree to finish later with experience transfer
>>
>>1919891
Evidence this is incorrect? Back up your claims or kys.
>>
>>1919109
This.
>t. Someone that got kicked out for suicidal thoughts and never finished.
>>
>>1918947
>When you work for someone else, at most they will pay you 20% of the value you produce, what is actually billed to the client. Thats the maximum for top professionals, unless you're one of a kind doctor/etc... The other 80% goes into the owner's pocket, and after fees it comes out to a good 50% clean profit.
this to be honest.

in reality its way less than 20%.
>>
>>1918944
Don't listen to fucktards here.
Go to very good college, find a very good a stable job, profit.

You will never be able to grow your own money only other people's money and this is finance and finance is messed up.
>>
>>1919109
t. someone too stupid and lacking in ambition to make a genuine success of themself

incompetence is offensive
>>
File: 20161204_084643_001.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20161204_084643_001.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>1918944
The Kriss Vector is the number 1 gun that you're a Marine and or you're an idiot.

I've worked at one of the busiest shooting ranges in California for 6 years and I'm telling you now, don't buy the Vector.

For less than that you can build a 9mm AR which is fun as fuck and actually worth the money.
>>
>>1918944
College isn't a meme, just waste of time non-STEM, non-Business degrees are a meme.

There is tons of good jobs to be gained from a degree, and tons of information and connections to be gained if you want to be self employed or start a business from college.
>>
>>1920271
>business & stem have lowest starting salaries
>>
>>1920280
In Britain the 3 degree's with the highest starting salary are economics, engineering and medicine. So one business and one STEM, and I imagine America is similar, you are talking shit.
>>
>>1920288
Nope
Medicine doesn't give a job only more school
Engineering maybe 50k
Economics around 30-40
Humanities give best salaries
>>
>>1920146
>why get a Jaguar F type? A 94 honda civic does the same thing.

This post
>>
File: IMG_2866.jpg (161KB, 1280x1023px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2866.jpg
161KB, 1280x1023px
>>1919034
This what i am doing,i am close
To my license at 18 and im going to work as an assistant then use that good money to pay my schooling for appraising.
People skills get you far boy
>>
>>1920304
troll harder, too obvious
>>
>>1918944
I'm not defending college per se, I'm going through the shit right now. Like most people the biggest barrier to tangible investing is Capital, ie having it and acquiring it. Considering it's hard as shit to get a decent career without that piece of paper or a hookup, or to acquire capital w/o rich family or waiting for parents to die off, College isn't a terrible investment.

If capital was something I had access to I wouldn't be wasting my fucking time, I'd already have property and a business
>>
>>1918981
They are cracking down on this via multiple channels. Amazon is far from a place to start a real and they will sell you out when state and local governments start asking if their vendors are licensed.
>>
>>1921595
*start a real business.

My advice is to be a wage slave but literally work every waking moment and job hop like crazy. I somehow lucked into a 60k a year job by just listening to other people talk about the job market.
>>
>>1919936
>being this much a triggered little faggot nerd.
Sad!
>>
>>1918962
>but what skills can be obtained without college?

Literally everything. You have the internet, fuckhead.
>>
>>1919967
Tell me more? I'm in the same boat right know, depressed and I might be kicked out if I don't get my shit together and get good grades
>>
>>1919090
What for, why woud any civilian really need a gun?
>>
>>1922684
I got kicked out because I made it clear I had been contemplating suicide and wanted help. The uni didn't want the liability. Just go to counseling but be 100% certain to downplay how you feel.
>>
>>1923267
Fuck man that sounds horrible. Never thought they could kick you out cause you felt down/suicidal but would instead try to help you. What country are you in?
Best of luck for the future
>>
>>1923302
United States, and thanks.
>>
>>1921944
>Be asked to give evidence for your claims.
>Come up empty-handed after 2 days instead of just ignoring it.
Anon, I'm not mad, you should learn to pick your battles though.
>>
>>1923413
>college grads make more money
Next you'll be telling them that rich people are more likely to be married,
or buying a house is how most people build wealth.
or that wealthy people are more likely to have kids.

we all know this stuff can't be true! It doesn't make sense! Spending money to make money? Never.
>>
File: 1416516169694.jpg (57KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1416516169694.jpg
57KB, 800x533px
>>1919019
>tfw buying p-mags by the 100 and 556 by the pallet to sit on for 4-8 yrs or until autism strikes another elementary school
>rednecks will eat your ass for green tips when the next dim-o-crat wins
>>
File: 1416480528978.gif (2MB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
1416480528978.gif
2MB, 320x238px
>>1920146
>shooting
>california

pick one faggot
>>
File: 1491112360242.png (358KB, 540x597px) Image search: [Google]
1491112360242.png
358KB, 540x597px
>>1919109
>tfw only applied to one uni and it's a ritzy private school
I'm gonna miss community college with it's cheap tuition if I get accepted.
>>
>>1919042
My own personal plan is similar to yours, I plan to become a journey man electrician and then go to uni to become an electrical engineer, so I too could start my own company. Is there anything you would do differently or are there any tips you could give me?
>>
File: 1473760500514.jpg (54KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473760500514.jpg
54KB, 960x640px
>>1920146
>California compliant AR15's
No thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4awt6fYPxFE
>>
>>1918977
>i can become a lawyer without college
>i can become a chemist without college
>i can become an economist without college
dude please die
>>
File: logo_amway_en.png (5KB, 278x100px) Image search: [Google]
logo_amway_en.png
5KB, 278x100px
I got your answer right here op
>>
>>1926417
People who say stuff like "You can get any job with stuff you learn from the internet!" are stupid.

Go try get a job that isn't minimum wage or an apprenticeship without experience or a degree and I guarantee you won't even get an interview. They don't care if you are self taught. They want reassurance that you know what you're doing, and a degree helps a lot with that.
>>
>>1918944
if youre paying any more than 1500 for a vector you're autistic. you can find them on some sites fir below 1300. here's the first result on google. http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=KRISS-Vector-Gen-II-CRB-Centerfire-Rifle&i=962574
>>
>>1918944
how are you gonna shoot up your school if you dont go to school tho
>>
You need a degree, but most employers won't even verify that you have one.
>>
>>1918944
Droooed out of college twice. Make 50k. Working on 3rd and 4th house. Just always keep a side hussle
>>
>>1918944
>how does one come up in life?
>$2000 dollar gun I want

so what returns do you expect on that gun?
>>
>>1927384
What's your job?
>>
>>1926451
Anyone ITT have experience with Amway?
>>
>>1927438
I have a friend that is doing it. Company operates a lot like scientology; i.e. "our system is the only way to success, if you arent making money its because you arent doing it right. Buy our our secret videos for only 250$". Poor guy thinks hes going to retire when hes 27. Youre better off investing in crypto
>>
>>1926807
If you're good at what you do, you will find a way with or without college

This DOES apply to doctors lawyers and scientists too.
>>
File: 1487386988051.jpg (58KB, 687x687px) Image search: [Google]
1487386988051.jpg
58KB, 687x687px
>>1922705
SHALL
>>
>>1927374
and then 20-40 years later they find out that you never got your degree and fire you for lying (true story, heard it from a friend at boeing)

moral of the story, if you're going to lie about having a degree, get your fucking degree.
>>
>>1926807
In terms of skill, you can easily match the skills of college by being self taught. But I do agree that society puts waaaay too much importance into a piece of paper that costs thousands of dollars.
>>
File: a.png (35KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
35KB, 125x125px
>>1927596
NOT
>>
>>1927438
Pyramid scheme
>>
>>1927400
Load trucks at a rock quarry by myself. Help crush for a couple months ever 2 years or so.
>>
>>1927400
The side hussle is my shitty houses and gamble on any side job i can do. Its a lot of work to be honest but im crippled and cant work to 70 to retire. At 31 im already going balled and grey. Tired and broken. Gotta put in twice the effort of normies to retire twice as fast.
>>
>>1919043
This. But the thing with computer science is that you'll want to kill yourself if you choose the wageslave route instead of being an entrepreneur. Study CS in university at a top program but take as many business classes as you can.

The most successful work internships at Google, Facebook, Amazon, whatever and then leverage that experience to promote their own ideas/companies. It's so much easier to get funding and off the ground if you went to a top school and worked at top companies.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.