[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a stupid semantics issue that's hanging me up and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1466291106970.png (311KB, 678x601px) Image search: [Google]
1466291106970.png
311KB, 678x601px
I have a stupid semantics issue that's hanging me up and getting in the way of doing actual work.

I'm doing accounting for business combinations.

All of these questions are phrased "P corporation acquires the assets of Q corp by issuing 10,000 shares of P corp $10 par whatever"

Can someone help me out here? In this wording does 'issues' mean like, Q corp is obligated to buy, or has agreed to buy or what? If owning a share of a company is partially owning a company, how is the company doing the buying paying by issuing stock?

If P corp acquires Q corp's assets by issuing Q 100% of its stocks, doesn't that mean that now Q corp own P corp? How is P doing the acquiring in this case, and how come Q is the one getting dissolved if it now owns those shares in P?

It seems backwards.

Does my confusion make sense at least so maybe someone can help set me straight? I have a tendency to get hung up on really silly stuff that ends up being crippling.
>>
Basically how does P gain ownership of Q by paying in units of 'ownership in P'

Or, if P acquires Q's assets by issuing shares, and then Q is dissolved and becomes part of P, then...isn't P just paying itself? What actual exchange is occurring?
>>
Typically, P corp is issuing shares of itself and then giving those shares to the shareholders of Q corp in exchange for Q corp shares. P corp then owns Q corp and the former Q corp shareholders now own P corp shares.
>>
>>1887985
To make it a little more clear: the shares aren't going to Q corp. They are going to the owners of Q corp.
>>
>>1887991
So...it's like P is saying "We want Q, so we'll be taking Q now, and all of you people who owned Q before own part of P instead"?
>>
>>1888001
The owners of Q have to agree to the exchange (they typically hold a vote according to the corp bylaws). Hostile takeovers are a thing, but they work a bit differently.
>>
>>1888006
The context is I'm doing Accounting for Combinations, and I wasn't able to get to the actual accounting part because I was having a hard time finding something that explained the language of the setup.

The text kinda glosses over the nature of the transaction to jump right into the accounting.

So it seems like what I'm misunderstanding is that P isn't paying Q only to immediately receive back what it payed through the merger, P is paying the owners of Q.

The way I was understanding it was like P saying "Hey Q, I'm buying all your stuff. I'm paying you for your stuff by giving you my car, except the car is mine now because it's part of 'your stuff' which I just bought all of"
>>
>>1888032
If P isn't acquiring shares of Q, but rather just some assets of Q, it could be the case that P is giving shares to Q itself in exchange for some amount of assets (e.g. goods). For instance, P could give Q $100k worth of shares in exchange for $100k worth of cars. P then wouldn't actually own Q, they would just own the cars. This strikes me as unusual though.
>>
>>1887967

In this context issue means create shares out of thin air.

P corp issues(creates) shares and trades them for assets of Q corp. (see "asset sale vs share sale")

Previously outstanding shares of P corp are diluted, but P corp now has equity in the newly acquired assets.

Not 100% sure.
>>
>>1888151

Forgot to mention, if they bought 100% of Q corp assets, Q corp would then be dissolved.
>>
>>1888032

>"Hey Q, I'm buying all your stuff. I'm paying you for your stuff by giving you my car, except the car is mine now because it's part of 'your stuff' which I just bought all of"

"Hey Q, I'm buying all your CAR PARTS. I'm paying you for your CAR PARTS by installing them and adding you as a LIEN HOLDER on the vehicle title. Now it's both our stuff."

Sorry if that doesn't exactly make sense but I think I gets the point across.
>>
>>1888151
Makes sense. Like I said, my previous issue seemed to stem from the fact that I wasn't making a distinction between Q and Owners of Q.

I didn't get how P acquired Q by selling Q an ownership interest in P to Q.

But in the framework of P acquiring Q and its assets by giving shares of P to holders of shares of Q in exchange, it makes more sense to me.
>>
>>1888196
>acquiring Q and its assets

That's not possible. It's either one or the other.

The OP specifically stated it was an asset sale not a share sale. No one is acquiring Q.
>>
>>1888234
It's not possible? Then I'm just using the wrong language. What I mean is P is issuing shares for Q's assets, and probably that Q is dissolved after. My use of 'acquiring Q' was using colloquial rather than business language. Whoops.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.