[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any programmers here? How do I get into a good contracting position?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1489619823740.jpg (274KB, 900x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1489619823740.jpg
274KB, 900x1280px
Any programmers here? How do I get into a good contracting position? I'm a carpenter by day but am thinking of switching to 5 hour days, and would like to spend my down time / off seasons programming for clients and whatnot.
>>
>>1877733
it's super simple op

all you have to do is go to the site to get really good at programming and then people will just give you jobs

once you have money, you need to save it if you want to be certified rich

best of luck op!
>>
>>1877733
sorry man, it takes years to become more valuable than pajeet level coders.
>>
>>1877733
>from carpenter
>to programmer
It's like you actually believe this will happen.
>>
>>1877733
freelancer.com

start doing kids homework for a reasonable price. they'd rather deal with a westerner than a pajeet.
>>
>>1877774
>>1877762
>>1877758
>>1877754
Perhaps I should clarify, I have experience with a couple classes I've taken and just fucking around. I would certainly start small.
>>
>>1877854
Additionally, I'm taking classes continually and studying on my own as well so will continue to improve. I'm not just deciding on a whim to be a programmer, lol
>>
>>1877859
>>1877854
And I'm mainly wondering how viable it'd be to work carpentry 5 hours a day then program for maybe 3 or so when I'm home. Because that seems like the ideal sort of hours and lifestyle to me, imo.
>>
>>1877733

Do you enjoy maths. That's key to making yourself a great coder. Learn discrete maths like combinatorics and get your formal language game strong
Also you want good algorithm theory going on. If you enjoy math This can be done in little time. I lovemath so I go through books pretty wuick. It's made me a better coder.
>>
K anon here you go.

From nothing to 40 hr a week, 85 usd an hour in one month on Upwork:

1. Be really good at programming and try to spread your skillset as wide as possible

2. Go find 3 freelancers that've made more than 100k and copy elements from their profile till you got your own

3. If you got a portfolio, throw it up there, if you don't, steal items from others and throw it up there

4. Set hourly price at twice what you'd pay yourself for a job if you were to hire yourself

5. Apply for fixed price small shit, all you want is testimonials

6. Refresh every 10 minutes, instantly propose to new jobs

7. Don't use template proposals, pretend you've already got the contract. eg. 'hey cool project, can I see the php file giving you issues?'

8. Make big bucks.

I daytrade while I freelance in my spare time, coupled with 3k a month from my 9 - 5 (which i daytrade and freelance at) I do well.
>>
>>1877733
Build things for yourself. Make a portfolio.

Also shooped legs, gross.
>>
>>1877862
It's probably gonna require more hours of programming if you want to succeed in this century.

I work as a developer 8 hours a day and then go home and work another 5 hours on my personal stuff until I pass out.

Just think as a carpenter, how long would it take you to create a house by yourself made of wood? You have to chop the wood, trim it, and put it together yourself.

Well that's pretty much the world of entrepreneur development. Sure you can make a tiny house for birds, but the size and amount of time will dictate more or less how much profit you will get.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.