[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here works/has worked in trading and portfolio management?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1-12414484581qS1.jpg (381KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1-12414484581qS1.jpg
381KB, 1280x960px
Who here works/has worked in trading and portfolio management?

Please... share your experience.

>i.e. what did you do to convince someone to employ you, what were the pros and cons of the job, why did you leave the game, what advice would you give noobs?

Not looking to enter this industry personally, just curious to hear what it's like.
>>
1. Go to a top school
2. Have rich parents with connections
3. Be willing to work 80 hour weeks while your bosses get rich
>>
>>1834349
Why do they care what school you went to? Shouldn't they be more concerned with the candidate's ability to prove he can make consistently profitable trades?
>>
>>1834358
I don't care. I'm saying they care.
>Shouldn't they be more concerned with the candidate's ability to prove he can make consistently profitable trades
I'd give anything to have such a simplistic outlook on life as you do. The world must seem so straight forward and clutter free.
I wish things were so simple.
>>
>>1834381
I never said that you cared. Nice ad hominem btw.
>>
>>1834443
>Nice ad hominem
We weren't arguing, you fucking idiot.
Ad hominem doesn't come into it.
>>
>>1834505
dude i bet i could beat ur ass irl
>>
>>1834575
i doubt it mate
>>
>>1834583
mate fuck u i was under-16s boxing champion and my dad was a general... what was you dad? nothing... a pencil-pusher
>>
I run the fixed income desk at Barclay's New York office, and I'll be officiating this fight.

Winner gets to buy me a hot dog from Dominic's on Whitehall. The red line is across the street to the right, by the Applebees on 50th, can't miss it.
>>
>>1834621
Oh yeah? Well I was under 17's boxing champion and my dad was president. How about that?

>>1834623
Listen bro, the only thing you run is your aids ridden hands through your inbred mom's facial hair.
I'd buy you a hot dog but you would only try sit on it.
>>
Does HFT count?
>>
>>1834347
I phoned up some trading firms and asked if they were hiring... simples..

well to be more specific I did my research and got the names of the people who'd most likely make the hiring decisions and spoke to them

now back at uni and studying for a PhD in stats/machine learning - interviewing with hedge funds has become super easy to arrange. Some prior industry experience at a small options market maker + machine learning and a whole bunch of places will set up a meeting. Systematic funds/CTAs are a bit more competitive and have a formal application process but some of the discretionary shops are only just starting to look into ML and are rather keen/almost desperate to speak to people with relevant knowledge. Given that the ambitions of lots of my fellow students is found a start up or join facebook/google/microsoft research then there aren't so many talking to hedge funds in the first place
>>
>>1834349
>3. Be willing to work 80 hour weeks while your bosses get rich

maybe FX options at some bank...

not required in prop or in funds
>>
File: 1478811946072.jpg (128KB, 700x636px) Image search: [Google]
1478811946072.jpg
128KB, 700x636px
>>1834349
>3. Be willing to work 80 hour weeks while your bosses get rich
This is isn't M&A.
Portfolios don't care how many hours you put into them.
>>
File: 1412451173962.jpg (58KB, 807x810px) Image search: [Google]
1412451173962.jpg
58KB, 807x810px
>>1834871
What are you going to do once Fund managers realize that they got baited into investing in statistical machines, not actual AI.
>>
>>1834895
what do you mean by 'actual AI' and what makes you think they're not aware (at least at a high level) of what they're getting into?

Do you imagine that there are some fund managers out there who have been convinced they're investing using some magical sentient artificial black box? If so then your perception is pretty far removed from reality.
>>
i work in research/portfolio management in EM equities. we're institutional. our clients are pensions, endowments, etc.

i started out in consulting, realized i hated it, studied for the cfa, passed level 1, joined a pretty big asset management firm, and worked their for 5 or 6 years. went to business school (it's a school that everybody knows, it was a waste of my time/money - the main benefit i've gotten from it is making myself more date-able). i've worked at a boutique investment firm for the last 6 or 7 years.

pros - i like it - i think it's fun, it pays well, i get to read a lot at work, and it's now basically the only thing i know how to do. travel isn't my thing, but there's usually some of that.

cons - it's a 7 day a week job, i think about the portfolios i work on almost every waking hour in some way, and it's stressful - managing other people's money should be stressful. clients or markets can take money away very quickly, and put the business at risk.

i recommend michael mauboussin's stuff - "the success equation" - process vs outcome, etc.
>>
>>1836273
Seconding Mauboussin. "Ten attributes of great investors" is great stuff.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.