[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am currently at my last year of university studying a useless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1488400412690.jpg (405KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488400412690.jpg
405KB, 1000x1000px
I am currently at my last year of university studying a useless degree, working a job that gives me very few hours and have quite a bit of spare time.

For the whole week I have been reading "Currency Trading for Dummies", because I actually traded Forex back in high school (non-seriously). I'm finding it more and more fascinating, and fuck me, I would not be opposed to making it a full-time job if I turned out to be good at it.

My idea is to spend 1-2 hours a day for a year reading and demo-trading. A year from now I will start trading with a very small amount (no more than $1k).

Is this worth my time?
>>
>>1834097
I don't see why not if you take it seriously and crunch real data.

If you learn an intra-market approach to Forex, sound analysis and learn arbitrage then the losses you accrue will actually be like a tuition payment and open up future opportunities.

Just remember that the analysis comes first in the field not the profits.
>>
>>1834097
Cryptocurrency is easier, lower barrier to entry with bigger potential gains.
>>
>>1834133
is it wothyt the igh cash out fees and learning how to build wallets cold sealed?
>>
>>1834097
you're better off learning stats... time series...

go do a masters and for your project get one with a supervisor in industry

plenty of trading firms want stats/data science people these days and plenty of them are happy to talk to masters students

that is what I'm doing right now - you won't necessarily get much of an insight into their edge but they can provide you with data, guidance etc.. and if you do good work or find some interesting results and make a good impression then they'll often be open to hiring you afterwards. I know two people from the year before me got offers from the systematic fund they did their thesis with.
>>
>>1834097
Im a chef and that statement stuck to me, who is the guy in the picture?
>>
>>1834365
anthony bourdain
>>
>>1834097
here's a tip, read the richest man in Babylon.
also, be realistic about your ROI on that 1k.

If you want to start a demo acc. do it now, dont tell your plans to people as you will be more inclined not to perform them.

Take a step back dude, what separates you from the thousands (if not millions) of people wanting to make that quick buck from a tiny investment?

Have you been especially lucky in life?
The demo acc. while give you some clues i guess..
>>1834369
thx bro
>>
>>1834097
>1-2 hours a day for a year reading and demo-trading
6-8 hours a day for two years is probably more realistic but i'm sure you won't believe me.

never less than 1:2 risk reward. losses are a part of trading especially with forex. don't be greedy. don't chase the market. never move your stops without an extremely good reason. "my ego says this will turn around" is never a good reason. trade microlots live as soon as you can. losing real money can be psychologically painful for some people so you should try to learn to get over it as early as possible. if you can't stand occasionally losing a couple of dollars then changing money probably isn't for you.

good luck, you're going to need it.
>>
>>1834760
a few years ago, before HFT really took over, the standard route in for most London prop firms (assuming it is similar in Chicago too) was 8 weeks on TT sim... you'd need to demonstrate profitability/consistency, in a sim environment, towards the last few weeks

you then went live - you'd not necessarily be expected to cover costs and you'd maybe lose money in the first month but you'd best get profitable by the second month or you'd be sacked

basically if it takes you 2 years to learn then you're probably a bit slow and you're never going to be particularly proficient at this game. Obviously you keep on learning/improving but to get that base skill level shouldn't take any more than a few months
>>
>>1834760
As I'm going now I'll probably spend a lot of time reading/researching exhaustively. Any trading will have to be done on the holidays when I can monitor it constantly.

>>1834881
What did traders have to do before the sim though?
>>
>>1834881
18-24 months of staring at charts for a few hours a day to have some degree of consistent profit without major losses.

agreed that a few months is the most you should need to be marginally competent, even if that will more often than not lead to eventual ruin.
>>
1k ain't shit. You're going to lose. Come back when you have 25k.
>>
>>1834944
>reading/researching exhaustively
get a demo account. all the reading/researching in the world isn't going to do you any good if you don't have any real time experience with how the market moves.
>>
>>1835212

Yeah true, I think a handful of books will do me, when I feel like I have sufficient knowledge I'll start demo trading seriously but for now I'm just getting a feel.

Is there anyone who day trades here?
>>
>>1834944
>What did traders have to do before the sim though?

before electronic trading - they were clerks/yellow jackets on the exchange floor... in London this would have been Liffe, in Chicago CME and CBOT. There is only one open outcry exchange left in Europe - the London metals exchange, technically it should still be possible for a few people to start out as clerks. Ditto to Chicago, options are still traded by open outcry.
>>
>>1835193
if you didn't develop consistency pretty quickly you'd get sacked... no one is going to let you keep a seat while losing money or showing erratic returns for 18-24 months, people who did this for a living needed to succeed much quicker than that.

That isn't to say that you can't be profitable as a retail trader doing this as a hobby.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.