[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long would it take 600 NVIDIA K10's & 300 Xeon E5-2660's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_20170303-185737.png (655KB, 1374x1005px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170303-185737.png
655KB, 1374x1005px
Thinking of using my Universities Super Computer to mine Eth, any ideas as to how I could mask the operation as a heavy code compilation or something along those lines?
>>
You'll end up in jail.
>>
>>1831456
This but also they would figure out the value of the supercomputer resources you used and make you pay for it, and probably also either confiscate your eth or make you pay them the value of the eth if you couldn't/won't hand it over
>>
>>1831456
Doubt it, the worst they'd do is expel him.

You could make a research assignment re the inefficiency of crypto mining, then just keep whatever crypto you mine.
>>
the protocols are usually blocked on such networks and you would likely be in breach of the campus rules.

because when mining started everyone had the same idea and ran up massive bills.
>>
>>1831464
Do you think shit just works this way at Unis? Any information or products created through research projects are university property.
>>
>>1831453
A guy got expelled from his uni because he did this with DOGE and they caught him. You could probably google the story
>>
>>1832927
wew lad hope that 30 cents of redditbux he earned was worth it
>>
>>1831453
>someone that works or studies in that university is reading >>biz
>he recognizes the post because of the numbers of GPU the OP wrote are the same the computing cluster the university has
>calls police
>police waits for OP in the supercomputer
>OP arrested
Nice work
>>
>>1831771
use a vpn with port 80
s
e

a

v
p
n

w
i
t
h

p
o
r
t

>>
File: 1404254975768.jpg (38KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1404254975768.jpg
38KB, 500x333px
>>1832927
>A guy got expelled from his uni because he did this with DOGE and they caught him.
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/harvard-student-uses-14000-core-supercomputer-mine-dogecoin/
>>
>>1832912
This this this

Fuck universities, most run off a rule system that's almost like facebooks TOS in the sense that they own pretty much anything you do using their resources unless they say otherwise.

It makes sense if you think about it but it still sucks.
>>
>>1832943
literally fucking everything is blocked at most campuses and the large number of users would mean any disruption to the network would be reported very quickly

But by all means try it out and dont forget to post a pic of your dumb ass getting busted. what would a it tech on campus know about it
>>
The question isn't how or why single people aren't mining them

The question is why the fuck aren't the Universities themselves mining them for profit?
>>
>>1833092
>Of course, you might be wondering exactly how profitable this was. As it turns out, the Odyssey can only mine at a maximum of ~20MH/s, since any mining operations would be using the CPUs. This is still a lot, but it’s not at all insanely fast. In fact, just 13 AMD 7990 GPUs can get similar results.
>>
>>1831456
>>1831463
>>1831771
>>1832912
>>1832927
>>1832931
>>1832940
>>1832981
>>1833077
Relax, I was just memeing. Amazed by how many rational responses I got, good on ya /biz/. Regardless, I'm still curious as to how much it could hypothetically mine, of course I'd never actually do it.
>>
>>1831453
Steal the computer
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.