[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /biz/, first time poster here. I know a guy at my uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: ftse-667850[1].jpg (87KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
ftse-667850[1].jpg
87KB, 590x350px
Hello /biz/, first time poster here.
I know a guy at my uni who invests in something similar to the stock market, except that instead of buying shares he buys foreign currencies to sell them back at profit. Basically he told me that you could make profit just by analyzing curves... He made it sound like it's pretty much an exact science, and apparently he does make money.
Anybody here has some experience with that? I have zero knowledge about the stock market and that kind of things.
>>
>>1820576
>I have zero knowledge about x

google it
ask specific questions later
>>
>>1820576
Foreign Exchange markets. He's almost certainly full of shit; it's almost impossible for retail (individual) traders to make money in Forex markets, let alone someone with as little capital as a college student.

Alternatively, he's gotten lucky a few times with highly leveraged trades (basically you amplify both your profits and losses by borrowing other people's money) but is soon going to take the wrong side of a trade and get wiped out (lose his entire balance because he overaggressively amplified his profits/losses through leverage)
>>
>>1820576
It's called triangle-arbitrage and hasn't been profitable since the early 2000s due to high-frequency trading. The "guy at your uni" just learned about the concept in lecture and thinks it still holds up in current market conditions. Ask him for his exact trade history for a few trades and you'll quickly see how fabricated his claims are.
>>
>>1820576
>guy in my uni
>technical analysis

Definitely full of shit.
>>
>>1820583
>google it
I guess I should have started there, apparently from what little I have read you have like 99% chances to lose money.

>>1820589
>Ask him for his exact trade history for a few trades and you'll quickly see how fabricated his claims are.
I don't have much info sadly, when I asked him how he learned to invest he told me that he read a few books and took lessons, the cost of which was covered by his investments.

>>1820585
>>1820589
>>1820590
Well I don't really see why he would lie to me, maybe he was just lucky or something. I guess I should stay away from that though. Thanks.
>>
>>1820611
>Well I don't really see why he would lie to me
Seriously? People lie ALL THE TIME. About money, about success, about sex, and about whatever other stupid shit they think makes them sound smarter, better, or more popular than they actually are.

Look kid, you don't have to become a full-time cynic -- but if you graduate college without learning that people are mostly full of shit, you should get a tuition refund
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.