[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about the timber industry? How difficult would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: trees.jpg (58KB, 537x362px) Image search: [Google]
trees.jpg
58KB, 537x362px
How do you feel about the timber industry?
How difficult would it be to buy up some land and pay a company to come out and fell some trees?
>>
It's not difficult at all. The harvester will cut down the trees during the winter, and load them onto trucks, and the trucks unload the trees to local mills. eat load = $$ for you and the harvester.

So to have a successful harvest, obviously you want good timber, and lots of mills that need it. and good terrain so the harvesters can quickly extract the trees.
>>
There's a guy I saw on Youtube who bought some forested land. He sold the timber off of it, then parceled out half that land, sold that too and was able to build a home out of the proceeds.
>>
>>1808174
Difficult. My senpai in Mississipi owns timber land. It makes a little bit of money but it isn't much. I think we make more on farm land per acre than they do. They just use it a bit of a income for fun against they land they already own.

Property taxes mean land must be put to use. Beetles can kill your assets. Long time for roi. Costs to get the timber cut and processed. Etc etc.

If you're serious next step is to price out some land with forest on it, and get in touch with a harvester. See what they charge. Run the numbers and see your roi. I bet it will be 2-3%
>>
>>1808392
no joke, my mom made 75k harvesting some land. we would have made a lot more if we know what we were doing.
>>
>>1808408
How many acres?
>>
>>1808408
How many acres, what species and age? 75K on 75 acres with 30 year old trees is a horrible roi. For reference we can get $30/acre/year for cash rent on farming, $10/acre/year for cattle grazing. If yall can pull 75k every few years though on it though it might be cool, especially if the land is family land and doesn't have debt service on it.
>>
>>1808552
>>1808457
she bought the land for 135k it was like 800 acres.

and then some guy came along and wanted to harvest it, so we said ok.

So the harvest was split 3 ways: the harvester, this guy, and us. we got 75k.
>>
>>1809315
the land had already been harveted. we had no idea there was valuable timber on it. just wanted to add that. My mom bought it just for her own reasons which are a mystery to me.
>>
>>1808174
Yeah destroying land is good money. I lived in Poland and in the countryside we own lots of forest land. At times you can catch a hefty sum, but we're just holding onto the land because there's 0 property taxes or anything. If lumber skyrockets well cash out.
>>
My uncle and cousin were loggers. There is big money there, but costs are very high so if you aren't careful you can lose your shirt.

Also sustainability is good.
>>
>>1808392
Hi from the 'sip.
>>
>>1809315
that's quite a lot of acres for 135k. Where was it, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>1809344
You're not destroying land, you virtue-signalling faggot.
In my state alone there are more trees being grown than being chopped down.
It's a renewable resource, get over yourself.
>>
>>1809344
>destroying land is good money
that is probably true in a rainforest, but in colder climates, dense forest is not ideal for wildlife. Clearing that out, opening it up so some sunlight can shine in and underbrush can grow, attracts tons of wildlife.
>>
>>1809387
northern maine. she bought it more than 10 years ago. I think she wants to sell it.
>>
>>1809405
How much?
>>
>>1809387
That is a retarded cheap price on land. Under $200 an acre that is productive. I would buy that all day. We sometimes buy land from someone in the family for $1000/acre and it feels like robbery and our lawyer can't believe it. $3000 is more realistic for southern farm land. $200 for northern timber is either a mistake or the deal of a lifetime.
>>
>>1809411
She thinks it's worth 1 million. Keep in mind my mom is crazzzy.
>>
What do you guys think about farming trees in third world countries like Indonesia? The land is cheap and the wages are very low.
>>
>>1809541
Name one woman that is stable.
>>
>>1809560
Who are you going to sell it to?
If you're selling it in that market, the prices would theoretically be comparable.
If you're bringing it back to wherever you're located, you have to pay for shipping.
Also, I know in the states that you have to pay taxes and need to verify where the wood is coming from, depending on the state.
>>
>>1809569
ayn rand!
>>
>>1809596
She was a bull-dyke, and was most certainly crazy.
>>
>>1808174

I have been interested in this too, have seen people selling cut slabs of timber for ridiculous money depending on the variety of tree. Like 100's per metre/ft. And you get quite of few slabs out of a mature tree. Have no clue where to start though.
>>
>>1809315
You can't say you "made" 75k by harvesting the land without subtracting the loss in value it caused to the land.

Also, this whole story sounds like BS.
>>
>>1808366
Link?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.