[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Hedge Fund >Hedge >Hedge funds are not supposed to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: HedgeShearing.jpg (856KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
HedgeShearing.jpg
856KB, 1200x798px
>Hedge Fund
>Hedge
>Hedge funds are not supposed to beat a bull market's index performances
>They are instead supposed to be hedged well enough to continue to make money in bear markets
>The incentive structure for their managers means that most try and fail to outperform indexes during bull markets
>Consequently most fail to hedge adequately and lose during bear markets

Why do people keep sinking their money into these when most of them neither perform their core function of hedging against bear markets nor do they outperform an index during a bull market? Is it delusional retail investors who are lured in by the name "hedge fund", or is it a handful of rich investors?
>>
at this point why even ask the question
why not just try to profit off of this inefficiency
>>
>>1807689

Because if you aren't trying to figure out the "why" you're going to fail to see a correction coming when and if they underlying factors change when you try to profit off of the inefficiency.
>>
>>1807689

The easiest way that I can envision to exploit this is the following:

>Find hedge funds that are, themselves, traded in some fashion
>Pick out the funds that fail to hedge sufficiently
>Wait until noise of bear market starts to circulate
>As their valuation goes up and bear looks imminent short them
>If bear-talk was premature the price dips back to normal when the panic is over and I win
>If bear-talk was accurate I win even more when the fund under-performs

The only ways I lose is if the market goes bear and the hedge fund is actually successful in it's hedging against the market, or if the period of uncertainty stretches out without clear signs that a recession is not looming.
>>
>>1807682
Most retail investors can't invest in hedge funds. They have high net worth requirements and there are usually redemption restrictions for at least the first few years. Most hedge fund investors are large institutional groups and maybe a few rich families. Why do they invest in them? That's another story.
>>
>>1807790

I'm curious as to what the story is.
>>
>>1807790
Ive wondered myself, why do these people/agents invest in hedge funds when they usually dont beat the market?
>>
>>1808500
>why do these people/agents invest in hedge funds when they usually dont beat the market?
Never mind, you.
>>
salesmenship and reassurance

99% of private equity is just scared rich people wanting to feel safe in a world of parasites

>tfw your job is to golddigger protection
>>
>>1808722

Seriously? I guess when you're a certain size parasites you can't see coming after your money becomes a major danger.

>golddigger protection

What did he mean by this.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.